NEurope
UziT

Modern Apprenticeship

Hey people!

Anyone got experiance of doing an apprenticeship? are they any good and worth doing one? I want to do one in costumer services!

Thanks People!

'Mordan'? Are you Scottish or something, or can you just not spell? Either way, I can't really help you on 'costumer services' as I have little experience of it. I have always wanted to work in a fancy dress shop, though. :wink: :grin:

I think he's trying to spell "Jordan". He wants to be my apprentice... obviously.

Ive always been told by everyone that apprenticeships are a waste of time and lead to dead ends. Then again, thats coming from my school who have wanted me to stay on and pay scholarship fee's at Uni.

An apprenticeship requires shit-loads of work to be put in over 3-4 years i think it is? You start earning money faster than other people but the guys who go into HE will eventually overtake and possibly tenfold what you earn in a year.

An apprencticeship in CS is not really required for many jobs either. Only for jobs in sales is it a plus but youll still be earning the same ammount as a 16 yr old student except you will have four years work in it? Dont really see how a sylabus in CS could fill in four years work either.

My advice? Feck knows, im only 16 ;)

Bollocks, sorry but i totally disagree with what your school say. i am doing an MA at the moment and let me tell you i am more employable than any uni graduate and i have been earning money while learning. it is hard work and you wont have the "uni experience" which some think is essential. i dont.

in 2 years i will be a management accountant with an earning potential of £60k+ a year thanks to the MA.

My advice is do what you think is best. if you really want to go to uni then go for it. but if it is a career you want do an MA. 80% of uni grads dont go into the feild they studied for.

Yes, but there's a huge number of jobs that require a degree, and despite what you may think, the 'uni experience' counts for a lot. Subject specific knowledge isn't really important, it's the skills you learn and develop, both as a part of academic work and outside of it. There are so many opportunities with sports and societies, JCR and student union activities etc. that you don't get elsewhere.

Modern apprenticeships are a great career path, I don't doubt that, but I think your comment 'if you really want to go to uni then go for it. but if it is a career you want do an MA' is severely flawed.

I think he's trying to spell "Jordan". He wants to be my apprentice... obviously.

Fear leads to hate, hate leads to anger.. anger and frustration leads to the Jar..

The path of this padawan is a dark one.

Bollocks, sorry but i totally disagree with what your school say. i am doing an MA at the moment and let me tell you i am more employable than any uni graduate and i have been earning money while learning. it is hard work and you wont have the "uni experience" which some think is essential. i dont.

in 2 years i will be a management accountant with an earning potential of £60k+ a year thanks to the MA.

My advice is do what you think is best. if you really want to go to uni then go for it. but if it is a career you want do an MA. 80% of uni grads dont go into the feild they studied for.

You're best off listening to him, hes less biased than me ;) and hes got experience.

Yes, but there's a huge number of jobs that require a degree, and despite what you may think, the 'uni experience' counts for a lot. Subject specific knowledge isn't really important, it's the skills you learn and develop, both as a part of academic work and outside of it. There are so many opportunities with sports and societies, JCR and student union activities etc. that you don't get elsewhere.

Modern apprenticeships are a great career path, I don't doubt that, but I think your comment 'if you really want to go to uni then go for it. but if it is a career you want do an MA' is severely flawed.

so if 2 23 year olds came to you for a job and had the same qualifications. 1 from uni and had 1 years experience and 1 MA with 4 years experience you would employ the uni grad? because they were part of the SU? i am not saying that uni is a waste of time because it isnt and people will want uni grads but to say that a MA would earn less is a farce. i believe that MA's have more to offer. they do not just get 3 years of theory without the practicle application. theory and practice are very different.

Fear leads to hate, hate leads to anger.. anger and frustration leads to the Jar..

The path of this padawan is a dark one.

Hahhaha :D Awesome stuff.

so if 2 23 year olds came to you for a job and had the same qualifications. 1 from uni and had 1 years experience and 1 MA with 4 years experience you would employ the uni grad? because they were part of the SU? i am not saying that uni is a waste of time because it isnt and people will want uni grads but to say that a MA would earn less is a farce. i believe that MA's have more to offer. they do not just get 3 years of theory without the practicle application. theory and practice are very different.

I'm not saying it's right, but there's a huge number of jobs out there that require a degree. For example, I want to be a solicitor, which is impossible (well, almost) without a degree. It all depends on what you want, I guess.

erm whats the pay that you start off with??

thanks for everyones reply.....