NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Chuck

Router Computer Connection Problems

I got a Router a few months back, after it not working Im trying to solve the problem. Its a Belkin Wireless G Router, My 360 connects wired and my PSP works wirelessly but my computer wont connect, using an ethernet cable, to the internet. Im sure there is just some settings I need to change to make the computer work. Are there any suggestions. Thanks

Your welcome :)

A really useless post ipaul, and you spelt "you're" wrong.

If your PSP connects wirelessly, why not connect your PC wirelessly too? All you need is a wireless PCI card or wireless adapter (<£20), and windows can find the network for you.

I got a Router a few months back, after it not working Im trying to solve the problem. Its a Belkin Wireless G Router, My 360 connects wired and my PSP works wirelessly but my computer wont connect, using an ethernet cable, to the internet. Im sure there is just some settings I need to change to make the computer work. Are there any suggestions. Thanks

Check the IP address on the computer. Make sure it's on the same subnet as the router.

IE. if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, make sure the computer has 192.168.1.x (where x is 2-254).

If setting the computer to have a dynamic IP address doesn't work, try this...

Set your IP address manually. Make sure it's on the same subnet, but for the DNS servers, put your router's IP address, and "4.2.2.2".

I've no idea what 4.2.2.2 is, but my home network won't work without it...might work for you too.

A really useless post ipaul, and you spelt "you're" wrong.

Whoops. At least it brought some attention to the thread.

Ive got my computer on wireless:grin: now how do i set a password?

Login to your router (load it's IP address in your internet browser, ie http://192.168.1.1).

Find somewhere where you can set wireless settings. Look for a "WEP Key".

You'll be asked to enter a WEP Key. This is the password for your wireless network...

It's normally in pairs of hex characters (0-9, and A-F). Enter 10 hex characters, apply it, then restart the Access Point.

You now have a kind of secure wireless network! (I say "kind of"...WEP isnt secure - it just keeps your neighbours from connecting, kinda thing).

cool, tnx:kiss:

should it be open, shared, WPA, or WPA-PSK?

It's certainly not WPA or WPA-PSK. (A lot of devices don't support WPA. If all of yours do, use WPA. It's much more secure...)

I'm unsure on the difference between open and shared. Try shared...?

limited or no connectivity.......

Which means that the computer can't connect to the router. The wep key might be wrong or the speed settings might also be wrong. So check that both the router and the pc has the same speed setting. And check the key also.

And just to be sure go to the lan settings page of the router and check that DHCP is on. Probably is because your xbox and psp connects but just to make sure. And while you're at it check that there is more than two addresses between the ip pool start and end. For example the if the starting 192.168.2.2 the ending is 192.168.2.5-102.

And I suggest that first you try if the connection works with just 64bit WEP. If it does you can try to change it to 128bit WEP. Then try the WPA-PSK. I don't know if the psp supports it though, so you might be limited to just wep.

If you're still having problems I suggest that you rtfm ;)http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/P74559-A_F5D7230-4_man_6-04.pdf

And i'm not sure that that manual is correct but seemed that it's close enough. Or just go here: http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?cid=6 and choose the correct one.

Im sssoooooooooooo stupid i was trying to do it all on the wireless utility instead of the router. i look on the manual, enter the router utility - go into security - anter a passcode to generate codes - wait for the router to reboot - enter the new code into the wireless utility - secured wireless network! tnx guys:kiss:

Sign in to follow this