NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

The wii is still a powerful machine!

i also post on the gamespot forum and on there there is plaenty of doubt about the wiis power.I for one thought that resident evil 4 on gamecube is very powerful and zelda looks awesome.

the wii is still more powerful than the xbox and much much smaller.The xbox is still considered as a powerful machine and could have been pushed much farther i think.

My point is!?Do u think your average gamer will notice the diffrerence or will it be purely hardcore thing?

The Average Gamer will definately think that the Wii is less powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3, which is already true, because of its size.

Heck, some people thought the PS2 was more powerful than the Gamecube because of its size even though it wasn't!

Its a difficult message Nintendo have to promote. Nintendo are essentially sitting in this generation, but adding an innovative new controller - more of a side step than upgrade par se. Nintendo need to make it clear that Wii is something new and unique - they've successfully done that with the DS.

I'm not sure how Wii measures against stadard definition Xbox360 or PS3 - this might be a saving grace, dependig on High Def take up over the next 12 months.

At the end of the day I beleive software will sell the system. If Nintendo can get and KEEP third parties interested in Wii, get them creating new experiences and keep a healthy lineup thoughout the year to cater for everyone, then Wii has the potential to become more than a Games Console - it becomes an Dedicated Entertainment Device for the family.

The DS struggled at first because it had no games to intrigue the general public, however the Wii looks like it will have the games to do this at launch, yet still appeal to the hardcore crowd.

There is NO doubt in my mind that the Wii will outsell both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, despite the weaker graphics. It's time for Sony to learn the hard way :P

The Wii is weaker then the 360 and the PS3, but is still a powerful piece of hardware. It can still push out great looking graphics. The Wii’s power is in between the xbox and the xbox 360. That’s a good amount of power. Nintendo is packing a lot of fire power in side a little box. All they need is some one to open the box and use it.

The Wii is quite a weak machine, lets be honest. It doesn't match most modern day computers never mind its next gen competitors.

However, if they can push Zelda: TP and RE4 out of a GameCube... who knows?

The Wii is quite a weak machine, lets be honest. It doesn't match most modern day computers never mind its next gen competitors.

However, if they can push Zelda: TP and RE4 out of a GameCube... who knows?

Those 2 games are proof that we can expect great things from Wii. Wii is as simple as this: powerfull enough. For less than 250 usd, with integrated wireless, motion technology (wich may not be too cheap to produce) and a decent ammount of power we're getting a bunch for that price.

Thats my point :D, although on paper (as far as we know) its not gunna be all that strong of a console. But developers can push alot from consoles especially towards the end of its life.

Powerful is a relative term. Would you call a Ford T series (first mass produced car) powerful when compaired to today's cars? Yet it still beats walking. Lucky for nintendo this is not the car market.

although on paper (as far as we know) its not gunna be all that strong of a console.

On paper, No.

But then again, power alone doesn't shift consoles.

The thing a lot of people seem to forget is it's based on the cubes architecture. This already gives any developer working on it, who has worked on the cube, an advantage. In theory, 1st gen games should be comparable to RE4 at least. In my mind that's no bad thing.

My point is!?Do u think your average gamer will notice the diffrerence or will it be purely hardcore thing?

I think that "average person" won't be bothered about the supposed lack of power. As long as everything is clear and it runs smoothly, most people will be bothered about how it plays, I reckon, which is kinda the point of the machine.

The fact that games like Snake, Solitaire and Brain Training are more popular with a wider audience than the average game shows that it's how it plays (if you can stretch "play" to Brain Training) that matters to most.

If you're talking about the average person that enjoys games but not enough to buy mags or post on forums about it, then yeah they'll probably notice some difference. Again, I think when they get their hands on the games they'll not be bothered about. I think graphics that are on the same level of Mario Galaxy will be more than acceptable to most.

The Average Gamer will definately think that the Wii is less powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3, which is already true, because of its size.

Heck, some people thought the PS2 was more powerful than the Gamecube because of its size even though it wasn't!

qft.

and when you see 'final fantasy #' out on ps2 with awesome graphics, and then ffcc out on gamecube (which, sadly, is nothing on the 'true' ff franchise) it further pushes the gamecube is weaker falesy.

i have one word to sum up the Wii and that is TRISHA.

When was the last time we heard from our doom and gloom merchant?

this leads me to think that nintendo are on the right track. weakest console or not.

Its a difficult message Nintendo have to promote. Nintendo are essentially sitting in this generation, but adding an innovative new controller - more of a side step than upgrade par se. Nintendo need to make it clear that Wii is something new and unique - they've successfully done that with the DS.

I'm not sure how Wii measures against stadard definition Xbox360 or PS3 - this might be a saving grace, dependig on High Def take up over the next 12 months.

At the end of the day I beleive software will sell the system. If Nintendo can get and KEEP third parties interested in Wii, get them creating new experiences and keep a healthy lineup thoughout the year to cater for everyone, then Wii has the potential to become more than a Games Console - it becomes an Dedicated Entertainment Device for the family.

Well said, despite the unfortunate acronym there. ;)

The power of a console has very little impact on its success. The public's perception, however, carries much more weight, even if it is often misguided. Every PS2 owner I ever knew claimed it was more powerful than Gamecube.

It's a hard situation if you look at the traditional gaming audience. Graphics has been the gaming selling point for 20 years now. The DS has already changed that image a bit though, and if Nintendo pulls off another Nintendogs or Brain Training on Wii it will be popular as hell.

The Wii is not a powerful machine by today's standards. There was no way Nintendo could get to the same level as Microsoft or Sony in that area. I'm pretty sure this is a reason why they chose to go the direction they're taking now. Now, the Wii shouldn't be needing the graphics to be succesful.

It's powerful enough, and that's the main thing.

Well said, despite the unfortunate acronym there. ;)

The power of a console has very little impact on its success. The public's perception, however, carries much more weight, even if it is often misguided. Every PS2 owner I ever knew claimed it was more powerful than Gamecube.

Yes, the PS2 being more powerful than the GC is nonsense. The GC clearly has graphics head and shoulders above the PS2.

There's no way you can judge without looking at the games. Everything on consoles is heavily optimised for better performance- for example, if you had a PC with the same specs as a Cube, it would run very few things because of a lack of optimisation. The cube has about a 500MHz processor, about 40MB of RAM- just imagine if your PC was that bad.

Proof is in the pudding- ie TP, SMG MP3 all look awesome.

Ninty doesn't care what their graphics/power is like (well they do sorta) but they're now trying to make games more fun and for everyone. They've bumped up the graphics a little bit so that hardcore gamers wont complain, but their main target was to make fun games not to just improve graphics.

Now with their new technology in the controler, the Wii is the best lookin next gen console...as the PS3 doesn't offer anything much different, just improved graphics, and er blue-ray :zzz: and the 360 has also got improed graphics, but at least the 360 has X-Box live etc

I just think the Wii doesnt need to be a emencly powerful console for what Nintendo are trying to do :D

The weakest console has always been the most sucessful...NES, GameBoy, SNES, PlayStation, GBA, PS2, DS...

I think that shows that people don't buy a console for it's power.

The weakest console has always been the most sucessful...NES, GameBoy, SNES, PlayStation, GBA, PS2, DS...

The Snes was more powerful than the genesis.

Dreamcast had less power than the ps2.

The GBA had no real competitors.

Now if you want to bring in other gaming systems from companies not in the large market (sega, nintendo, sony and microsoft) then the Neo-Geo was less powerful than the snes the Jaguar was less powerful than the ps1.

Never having seen this posted before. It certainly made me go Wow even now!

GC circa 2000. 2 demo's:-

:bowdown:

Wii just needs some dedicated teams to do the games proper justice!

I think most 2006 dev teams have a lot to learn about GC/WII!

No they buy whats cheap, I know I did *looks at ds*

The DS PSP war has proven graphics dont matter.

The DS has done great no matter what the PSP produces,its obviously got worse graphics and yet its still innovative but the problem with innovation are the games that lack it (cough Rayman DS). Those games spoil the system where as Trauma Centre and Nintendogs show so much innovation.

But also the PSP has many supporters and does just as well.

I think the same thing will happen with the Wii.

It won't affect or be affected by the other consoles too much because the people who love graphics will get a PS3, Xbox 360 will get no one and the Wii will have innovation lovers and children and others.

It will have its fair share of stale games but some will make it excel high above the rest.

Xbox 360 will just fade away hopefully.

The Wii has so many new features though so I think it will be the best of the 3. It has:

The virtual console

The motion sensor

Strong launch titles

Various Controllers

Innovation

Connectivity with DS

WiiConnect24 Demos and trailers

Also the price will go against the PS3!

Xbox 360 will just fade away hopefully.

I hope it does not fade away, unless microsoft plans to release every of it's games on Wii, if Xbox 360 fails.:D

Sign in to follow this