NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

" Nobody Likes Smug !"

Dunno if this has been posted yet but its a good read.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=142605&skip=yes

Jeff Minter tells Sony, "Nobody likes smug"

Friday 7-Jul-2006 11:49 AM Videogames luminary on the need for games in the next-gen, not arrogance

Since the PS3 official unveiling, we've been hearing Sony execs extolling the virtues of the machine in increasingly astonishing ways. Most memorably, Ken Kutaragi telling gamers they should start working harder, because the console's going to be pretty damned expensive.

It seems that Sony's attitude hasn't escaped those on the development side of the industry and now videogames luminary Jeff Minter - of Llamasoft fame - has stepped up to give Sony a piece of his mind.

Writing in the latest issue of Edge magazine, Minter describes Sony's attitude as seeming "incredibly arrogant". Says Minter, "They seem absolutely certain that even when they say that it's going to be considerably more expensive than existing consoles, and that maybe there won't be that many titles actually available at launch, nonetheless us eager customers will rush out in droves to buy it because, hey, it's a new PlayStation."

Minter argues, "Just making the shiniest, most expensive harware doesn't cut it these days. Sure the PSP was beautiful, shining, pretty and posh, whereas the DS was definitely the ugly sister. But hey, the ugly sister is better in the sack".

For Minter, you see, it's all about the games and, at the moment, he feels the PS3 is distincly lacking in that area: "Yeah, you've got the lion's share of the current market, but don't get smug, Sony. Nobody likes smug, and it's not an attitude that has served companies well in the videogames industry."

He continues, "We need games, not smugness, games that will make me want to get hold of the PS3 rather than a bunch of stuff either identical or broadly similar to what I'll be playing on my 360. I want sweet Feisar temptation, not a bit of snotty attitude."

<3 Jeff Minter

QFT.

I love this guy. Don't put a picture of him, he's probably a bald person.

Finally someone stands up and speaks their mind

QFT.

Jeff Minter, bald?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jeff_minter.jpg

He's not called the hairy Yak for nothing.

Kudos to him.

I believe he's said what's needed to be said.

Sony Playstation 3? Or it would it be better named the Nintendo64 2?

QFT.

You got something against bald guys?

*looks at massive receeding hair line then shakes angry fist at Stef and my dads genetic genepool*

Well if it was called N64 2 then it would be a bloody great console. *Strokes all the awesome N64 games*

Well if it was called N64 2 then it would be a bloody great console. *Strokes all the awesome N64 games*

Hehe. I meant the flipside. The bad things about the N64.

However, i think i will join you in the stroking of past N64 classics.

So...*strokes*

Nintendo were super arrogant when the N64 rolled around. They thought they were invinsible. Thats just how Sony feel.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I take that statement about baldness back...I have nothing against them, theyre quite a funny race..i mean people.:indeed:

I take that statement about baldness back...I have nothing against them, theyre quite a funny race..i mean people.:indeed:

Funny...Funny as in clown. So do I amuse you now? Am I here for your amusement?

Hehe just messing big kudos for anyone who gets what film that line is off.

I hope he rolls on with Nintendo's VC, since he's a Microsoft bitch at the mo. Rez on Wii? Yes, please!

I hope he rolls on with Nintendo's VC, since he's a Microsoft bitch at the mo. Rez on Wii? Yes, please!

Rez ?

He had nothing to do with Rez, although he did like it.

He had nothing to do with Rez, although he did like it.

Yeah, altho, i still agree with hellfire, rez on wii, yes please.

Sign in to follow this