NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
bencallis

Linux Help!

Hi I have put linux on ubuntu and got the internet and everythign working. I have come to download some apps for linux and I cant install things it just oppens them like winzip etc does. I Know it sounds dum but how do instal things?

With difficulty, I'm afraid. Try using google or looking on the applications' home pages for some instructions. Or, I think ubuntu can use something called apt-get that can automate a lot of the stuff. Look for System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager or something like that. Or check that the apt-get command works.

Overall, I dunno though, Linux is a toughie, and it's hard from the outset.

If you change the thread title to 'Linux help' you may get more help from the Linux fanboys (Schpickles, I'm looking at you.)

I've changed the thread title. Try and be abit more descriptive next time.

I guess you are talking about tar.gz packages? First you need to unpack it by typing:

tar -xzvf name.tar.gz (you can use some other way to unpack the files if you think it's easier but using that command is the fastest way (imo))

Then you must see what was inside it. Sometimes it's ready to use after unpacking but sometimes you need to compile it. Usually this works:

./configure

make (i'm not sure if this requires sudo or not :/)

sudo make install

I recommend always reading README or INSTALL. They usually will tell you how to install them and help you if you have problems.

I hope that helps :wink:

Read this, it will answer your questions.

http://ubuntuguide.org/

Also, just a quick sudo apt-get install <package-name> will install software. Check your /etc/apt/sources.list to make sure it will grab from the internet instead of the cd. I cant remember if it does that by default.

Read the man (manual) pages for command line utilities like tar, bzip etc.

man <application-name>

The best thing about using Ubuntu (well Debian and debian based linux distros) is aptitude.

All your software is managed from one place. A quick apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade every bit of software on you computer.

Or you know, you could do everything on Windows with the

greatest of ease.

It was only a matter of time before you started posting your pro M$ bullshit. :indeed:

You arent Bill and Steves love child by any chance ?

Yeah I am.

You're welcome to call it bullshit, but seriously, you could just have done it on Windows already.

Hell you could have done it on Mac OS X already. Linux simply isn't ready for the desktop unless you've got time to waste getting the same results as someone who used less effort with another OS.

I don't like to beat around the bush, I like to help people.

If you're sure you want to play with Linux, reasearch it well and enjoy your experience, but you really will have to persevere and change the way you think about certain things, which is all good no doubt, but I just like to point people towards the quickest and easiest way to do something.

Ah, but can you create your own version of an OS which is compact in size, unique to your own specific needs that allows you to access EVERYTHING from one command line, even the internet (in bash code)? One which has only the things that you require instead of bullshit applications that are force fed to your computer by a massive greedy corporate machine like Microsoft?One that comes in a huge variety of distrobutions allowing you to pick and choose at will? One that is not likely to freeze during the everyday usage of applications? One which doesnt need updates every other week to remain free of bugs? One that is free of charge?

Nope? thought not....

But, do you actually need to be able to access everything from one command line?

i mean, what average user wants to have to learn lots of commands to do everyday stuff?

But, do you actually need to be able to access everything from one command line?

i mean, what average user wants to have to learn lots of commands to do everyday stuff?

Thats why its not for the average user, and explains why most applications for linux are much more complex and efficient.

And to add to that, red hat and mandrake are becoming especially good for the visual user, more similar to windows.

Sign in to follow this