NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sarka

RAF

I am all for the forces, just the way they advertise their jobs could simply put someone off learning all together. Plus their doing this but they need to recruit less people than are applying so you do have to work hard to get in!

it's not the people, it's what the forces represent that i object to.

oh right? im interested what do you object about ?

from what you say it seems like a sham. my dad hardley got paid anythin when he first started and it was seriously tough. lots of his colleague/comrades(??) committed suicide cause they couldnt handle it. he also went with the mountain rescue. picking up dead body parts from a cliff...nice.

maybe it was just in them days they didnt get paid a lot

take a wild guess...

im guessing war ? like most people no one likes war but when you got duty you do it, i know you said its not the people its what they stand for but they dont stand for war, they stand for protecting queen & country and all that is good in the world. Unfortunately it does bring some duties such as going to iraq etc

but what about all the times the forces have surved this country well and pretty much saved its arse ?

im probably not a good person to talk to on this issue as i pretty much side with the forces, police etc most of the time i was just interested in your opinion and why it is that from someone who is still young.

That's an interesting point. We would all be under the nazi jackboot by now if our veterans hadn't defended our country. Many paid the ultimate price. I know that times have changed, but these people signed up to protect us. Eventhough Iraq was a shitty mistake with hindsight. However, we should give them support in order to do their jobs properly - its a tough job.

i admit that i do have quite extreme views on this. i think our country should disarm, and i don't think we should have an army at all. i do appreciate the police force though, i think we should protect and nurture our country on the inside. but the whole idea of the armed forces makes me very uncomfortable, i don't know if i could ever be completely happy with the concept of britain having its' own army.

Three things

1.The RAF is a millitary fighting force - what are people expecting? They're not forcing you to join anyway.

2.I hear the RAF offers some good benifits now - full training, decent pay, minimum 5-yr contract

3. I don't agree with complete disamament, but I'm totally opposed to UK nuclear weapons arsenal - we just don't need it in this day and age, and it costs a truckload money.

if you want to be a pilot you have to be in absolute PERFECT health..no glasses, no hearing probs, etc. someone i know wanted to be a pilot but couldnt cause he had a history of a collapsed lung

You have to be the perfect size as well, otherwise you can't fit in the cockpit. Not sure how small it is though.

I've thought about joining the army. My dad was in it, my grandpa was, and my 2 uncles (not my dads brothers) are in it too...

Ok, it's fine that alot of peopele's realatives are in the RAF but the message they're sending is horrible and comepletely corrupt.

I wouldn't say corrupt, it's just a better way of recruiting people than telling them that they're going to be paid a healthy amount of money to be cannon fodder the next time you go to war.

And it's not like they're promoting people to be shit at school, you have to be pretty damn smart to fly fighter jets, or any plane for that matter.

i admit that i do have quite extreme views on this. i think our country should disarm, and i don't think we should have an army at all. i do appreciate the police force though, i think we should protect and nurture our country on the inside. but the whole idea of the armed forces makes me very uncomfortable, i don't know if i could ever be completely happy with the concept of britain having its' own army.

No offence but that is just fucking stupid. If we disarmed, who the hell will potect us when some spako starts to invade? We need our armed forces not only to protect us, but to help other countries. Lots of our forces are stationed abroad, helping other countries rebuild a future, Iraq is just an example.

Britain and army go together hand in hand, always have and always will.

i considered going into the RAF or Army, glad i diddn't.

I don't have a problem with going to a war that is just, and some wars are. They are about self-defence. Or Kosovo where there was ethnic cleansing.

But the iraq war has made my mind up, if the government can do that, they can do it again. and i'm not being forced to fight in an unjust war. I'm not putting my life on the line unless i believe in the cause.

My dad was in the RAF..big deal, he didn't make it out to be so bad as what you are saying. Grow up..

if you want to be a pilot you have to be in absolute PERFECT health..no glasses, no hearing probs, etc. someone i know wanted to be a pilot but couldnt cause he had a history of a collapsed lung

I know and there comes the problem, I wear glasses, so goodbye dream, but maybe I'm going to some more techinichs.

i think its cause they spend so much money and risk so much on a pilot that they have to eliminate all possibilities that a pilot could get into trouble in the air. they also have to be really clever, i think. well an aircraft can't exactly be easy to fly :heh:

i think its cause they spend so much money and risk so much on a pilot that they have to eliminate all possibilities that a pilot could get into trouble in the air. they also have to be really clever, i think. well an aircraft can't exactly be easy to fly :heh:

I've flown two planes before. A Grob Tutor and a Bulldog when I was in the Air Cadets. It's a lot of fun.

Yeah, seriously. It's fucking awesome. I did loops, rolls and all kinds of stuff. The Air Cadets is great fun.

Yeah, seriously. It's fucking awesome. I did loops, rolls and all kinds of stuff. The Air Cadets is great fun.

wow.... are they difficult to fly, the planes you were in? did u have anybody assisting you or with you or anythin?

how class. im so jealous :(

It's not that difficult. I had a Flight Lieutenant assisting me the first time at (I think) Catterick. I can't remember the guy's name right off the bat, but he had a jolly, plummy old voice and the classic waxed tip moustache. That was in the Bulldog. Second time was at RAF Leuchars, in the newer Grob Tutor. I can't remember the guy's rank or name for that time, but it was just as much fun.

I think thats why being a pilot would be so awesome if u ever get the chance. I have astigmatism and other various ailments which means id never get to be a pilot.

are you kidding me :(:hmm:

Sign in to follow this