NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kurtle Squad

"[Playstation] arrived in Europe that would later revolutionise gaming"

because it introduced gaming to the mainstream, playstation is the biggest thing that ever happened to gaming.

It changed and extended the gamer demographic in a way that Nintendo ever could.

(And that remote-style controller thing, too.)

The playstation made gaming ultimately popular - the thing to get. It also brought on a new level of fanboyism. I don't think it was revolutionary to gaming, but the original did as much good as bad. Now they're just cocky assholes.

Clearly you weren't around during the Sega/Nintendo wars.

What idiot said it first introduced discs?!

No one.

That articles a bit rough around the edges. I certainly don't remember the EyeToy or Singstar series being released on the PSOne.

It wasnt the biggest thing to happen to gaming!! Happened IN gaming yes, but not TO gaming. The NES clearly was!! Just because Titanic is the biggest film ever you wouldnt say it held any real importance to the industry and the film world - other than being a fave on film quizes!!

The Playstation didnt revolutionise anything - it changed the gaming world in a pretty big way, but it didnt revolutioise it, but I suppose it all depends on ones definition on 'revolutionise'.

Wasn't ever allowed games. Had an old NES in the N64 era. Heard that the Ninty/Sega wars wasn't quite as bad as the current ones though, but I know that the fanboyism is quite different apart from the flaming (now supposedly in far more excess).

I'd chalk that up to the proliferation of the internet rather than that of the PlayStation brand. The information super-highway, haven of bigotry.

Heres a better question why do I keep seeing a slogon saying that the PSP is a revolutionary handheld device. Every feature except discs have been on other handhelds.

Kinda crazy that it has been 10 years since the Playstation brand hit our shores. It really doesn't feel like that.

It was the first console built for 3D Gaming in mind.

explain that?

it wasnt the first console to use 3d graphics. and the saturn also came out with 3d gaming in mind (as well as the n64 which came out a year later)

The Saturn was actually made with 2D gaming in mind. I remember reading a big article about the Saturn and the PSX and what they were good at.

"Sega had designed their machine to concentrate on 2D sprite graphics, and much of its 3D polygon handling abilities were allegedly 'tacked on' late in its development cycle."

Indeed. 'Tis a shame that 3D was accepted so rapidly, I think. Early 3D games were poor and clearly needed more time, but they were rushed to market. Saturn was a 3rd generation 2D machine and deserved a lot more recognition than it got.

It wasnt the biggest thing to happen to gaming!! Happened IN gaming yes, but not TO gaming. The NES clearly was!! Just because Titanic is the biggest film ever you wouldnt say it held any real importance to the industry and the film world - other than being a fave on film quizes!!

The Playstation didnt revolutionise anything - it changed the gaming world in a pretty big way, but it didnt revolutioise it, but I suppose it all depends on ones definition on 'revolutionise'.

the titanic analogy isn't really appropriate, the film indsutry has been established in the mainstream for decades, only since playstation has been around has gaming becoming an accepted hobby and appreciated as an art form.

Hmmm, appreciated as an art form!?! I think it is now as much as it ever was. If you mean 'appreciated' by the masses then who cares what they think really? All sony have done is make gaming popular, which I think has had a more neagtive effect on gaming than a postive one. And I think the analgy is fine, why does it matter that one is newer than the other!?

To use them successfully!!

Define what you mean by successfully, Sega CD was a relatively successfull CD player also. :indeed:

IMO, it didn't revolutionize gaming, but it brought it to a bigger audience, which is a feat in itself, but it's not as it was a revolution.

revolutionary dictionary meaning. = Marked by or resulting in radical change.

Surely PSX "radically" changed the video games industry. I'd say it did. Snes or Mega Drive and even the Saturn didn't make as much impact as the PSX did on the industry. The power of Sony and it's marketing basically changed the quiet life of gaming into a big megabuck business it is today.

I guess you're right. But it didn't revolutionise gaming itself. Which is what I perceive as revolutionary.

How is bringing gaming to the masses revolutionary!?! It just isn't. It makes the word so weak, when it shouldnt be, when something is revoltionary it is should have so much weight and impact, not "It makes something really popular."

Sign in to follow this