NEurope
ViPeR

Is it really that tiring?

"sensitivity of these controls, and for the Wii in particular, the fatigue factor of having to constantly hold up your arms." This got me thinking, "what would be a good way to control the game that would also lend itself to the unique features of the Wii?" This was a comment from one of the guys on the NFS Carbon team - Game Informer

I was speaking to Fierce_LiNk about this the other day. I've read a lot of developers stating that certain control styles wouldn't work because they'd 'tire' the gamer. Of course this is probably true to a point but I think they're being a bit over the top. There are also a lot of gamers who share this view, however I doubt these have even played the Wii. The point of the Wiimote is that you can do small motions with your wrist AS WELL as the large motions you see people doing playing Wiisports. It's common sense to give anything a break after 1-2 hours anyway. Personally I don't see how it can be as bad as they make out unless you go insane and make huge movements all over the place, again that's why the Wiimote is great because you don't need to do this. I also don't see why you need to 'hold your arms out'... surely you can just rest it on your knee or something. Do people like this have a point when they criticise certain control methods?

No...they don't, they talk crap. You only need small movements for games you'd play in the same sort of style as other games (Metroid, Zelda etc). And with the others, GET SOME EXCERCISE!!

I mean...I'm unfit, but the Wii could at least burn off some calories with the more 'active games'. And if you get too tired, have a rest, but soon if you play enough you'll be able to go on for ages.

Also, if you don't play enough to get that much fitter, then it doesn't matter, because you obviously wont be playing those games that much anyway.

P.S. Jungle Beat wears my out. I wish L & R represented the 2 drums on the normal controller, because it's impossible to play the game with the stick:heh:

i think it is rubbish. the wii is the way forward. just because some fat fuckers cant hold their own arm up why does that mean the rest of us have to suffer.

You can sit down on the most of the games as well so it ain't too bad.

Wii sports is going to be a little tiring but like Kurt R said, it will be good exercise!

i think it is rubbish. the wii is the way forward. just because some fat fuckers cant hold their own arm up why does that mean the rest of us have to suffer.

Well I guess there might be some problems on certain games because to be honest the Wii controller if used in a bad way can make you tired a lot faster than a regular controller.

Baseball games normally aim for you and you simply press a button to hit the ball - with the Wii controller you have to swing it which is a rather big movement if you want to hit the ball with a decent speed. On other games the Wii controller is better especially for aiming in a FPS shooter.

I wouldn't want to give up the Wii controller just because I MIGHT get tired a bit earlier but please allow everyone - and especially developers who already used the new controller to talk about the negative apsects too.

Developers really have to try out their controller settings because with the Wii controller balancing and custom settings are very important for me. Sensitivity is a big factor which can make a game unplayable for many if you can't change the settings.

and youve seen Nintys E3 conference, Iwata / Shiggy / Reggie / Winner of AOL Compo - they were having so much fun playing it and i wished i was up there playing it with them, tiring or not, it will defo be worth it :D

QFT

Did you know the average american walks only 1.3 miles a week, or 350 yards a day, all told. That's everything-things like walking around the house included.

I get more mileage trying to find my DS...

Hell even on holiday, like today, I get more distance walking around the house. Americans must watch a lot of TV.

I suppose it could get tiring. But I suppose it could be fun for people to play even so. For example a sword game where you have to swing it like in real life. The option to do so would be nice.

...to be honest the Wii controller if used in a bad way can make you tired a lot faster than a regular controller....

Er, what? You can get tired using a regular controller?

They've already said that you can play games with small or large movements (MP3 had an 'expert' mode for that IIRC). This is even true for wii sports, but frankly I'll be smashing furniture with my sick moves.

Besides- it can never be more tiring than the real-life action that it is trying to imitate. If you can't lift a remote, you can't play tennis for real either- in which case you are obese and deserve either death or a gym membership.

It can be tiring playing with a controller, try chucking a wavebird all over the room with 8 friends while playing wario ware 16 player battle

im not sure if it realy could be called excersize. i mean how lazey and fat are these people, walkin a mile and a half is bearly excesize. eat some protein

Er, what? You can get tired using a regular controller?

They've already said that you can play games with small or large movements (MP3 had an 'expert' mode for that IIRC). This is even true for wii sports, but frankly I'll be smashing furniture with my sick moves.

Besides- it can never be more tiring than the real-life action that it is trying to imitate. If you can't lift a remote, you can't play tennis for real either- in which case you are obese and deserve either death or a gym membership.

Lifting a controller for a long time and your hand is in a unnatural position which can cause pain over time. Also certain movements with the analog stick are not the best exercise for your thumbs. Those things are only for a regular controller but the Wii controller adds its own problems. Even small movements can cause damage to your wrist if you play too much. In general everything where you have to maintain a fixed position is not good for your body.

If I play Burnout 1 for a few hours with a friend my arms get tired because I have to hold the controller always in a certain height and position. This has nothing to do with sports or anything else.

the question is, is the wii controller that much worse than a normal controller? i think not.

this is just a crappy excuse used as a "good idea but" arguement. i will buy a wii and i will play it for hours and hours. i bet i wont get any more tired than doing the same on a normal controller.

And You don't need to have the arm lifted, don't forget that, however have something in the same position might put your arm a bit tired as system_error said.

The Wii controller looks very small so I think it can't be too heavy either. Normally when holding a controller I try to make myself confortable so I can rest my arms as well. I think this will also be possible with the Wiimote. After all there were reports it wasn't like a lightgun so if you increase the sensitivity it would't require too much movement, I can imagine.

My PC mouse only needs to be moved about 1,5 cm to move from one end of the screen to the other.

However, for certain actions more movement will be required. This will be quick though so it won't make your arm tired that fast.

unless I missed it somewhere, that it said that the F-Wii hand controller (FHC) would weigh 5 Lbs, then there is no way you would get tired after 2 hours. And if someone does get tired, then maybe they should play some more and lose a couple layers of fat.:laughing:

Don't forget that according to guidelines in your instruction booklets says you should have a break of 15 mins every hour or so!! (Okay so no-one does!!) I believe this controller (on it's own) will be so much better for you, in terms of RSI as twiddling sticks and buttons for 4 hours a day cannot be good. Moving your whole arm/wrist will be more tiring but less damaging!!!

QFT

I get more mileage trying to find my DS...

ha ha good one..

Well as you can get pains in your arm by using a mouse to much.. you can probably also get something from waving the Wii controller about to much..

what was it called in the 80.. Space invaders wrist...

Now we will have: Rayman arm, Red Steel Elbow, Supe rmario Galaxy shoulder and Excite Truck wrist

It seems many people in here just think in one direction (hey better change that because Wii is more hehe) - of course the Wii controller is not heavy. To be more precise it is pretty light weighted.

BUT certain movements can make your arm tired aswell and even though this might not happen never underestimate lazy developers. Imagine how many developers mess up controll in a PC FPS - I think there are good chances that they will do even worse with the Wii controller.

I think the TGS video where they revealed the controller had something to do with this view. I take it that many saw the video and thought "wow, what a crazy console!".

Then, when they thought about it deeper, they made their own assumptions. For example, you have to hold your arm RIGHT out when playing an FPS. You have to use big, enormous movement with your whole arm. You have to stand up and roll around when playing an FPS, as this is a form of dodging.

Of course, none of these are true. These are all assumptions made from that video. When we finally get to play on the Wii, we'll know what's needed and what works best for us when playing these games. Some of us might go crazy with the Wii-mote and fly about the room with it. :bouncy:

Some of us might go crazy with the Wii-mote and fly about the room with it. :bouncy:

I know I will.