NEurope
Helmsly

UK Wii marketing already started?

I was reading a post at gamefaqs where someone in the UK said he went to his local HMV in Manchester and they where handing out leaflets advertising the Wii. I haven’t seen any myself recently but then I haven’t been to HMV for about a month now. The guy posted a couple of pictures of them:

wiileaf2oe7qf.th.jpg wiileaf22jj1hm.th.jpg

If Nintendo are already stepping up their advertising in the UK then I’m very impressed. It shows Nintendo are perhaps going to try a little harder in promoting their new console here which is only a good thing.

Have any of you seen anything like this yet?

I've seen posters in HMV and game saying that Wii is coming and to ask for more info but nothing like the leaflet in those pictures. I've never asked for 'more info' though because I guessed I probably know more about the Wii than the shop assistants do but maybe they'd just hand me one of those leaflet things if I did ask. That would be pretty cool to have.

I'm VERY impressed. This gives the consumers enough time to realise what the Wii is and what games are coming etc....before it's release.

I still have a very good feeling that Europe wil see the Wii first! I just believe Nintendo know it's the place where 'anything goes' and it's all up to advertising, price and whats first to be released etc...

Nintendo must release the Wii before PS3 and i think they will.

In Japan it doesn't matter as much i believe the Wii will sell the most there anyway!

I'm not too sure about USA but i'm probably right in saying there nearly the same as us? So Nintendo better get starting there as well!

Meh....Seems like people will read these and pass it off as a gimmick. Would be better to have some mysterious adverts & posters just saying stuff like:

It's coming

Wii

Wii like change

etc etc etc

Well anyway...Hopefully these leaflets describe the Wii well in its capabilities :) Good Nintendo are actually going to do something this Gen.

I'm waiting for the hugerush of adverts they're probably going to do. The 360 launch was really quiet.

excellent nintendo are getting their fingers out and getting things sorted.

Advertising normally starts 4 months before launch doesn't it? Therefore we could be seeing the Wii end of October!

I think November 6th is the official date actually, like rumoured on Cubed3!

If thats the case, it isn't too long to wait. I think i can do it. lol

that is a bit of a tenouse link. marketing started when the company want it too.

that is a bit of a tenouse link. marketing started when the company want it too.

I'm just saying that in the past marketing in the shops starts about 4 months before launch.

Hopefully i'm wrong, like you think. So it's out earlier.

glad the advertising in HMV is actually showing pics of games not just pics of the console/controller :D

im going to town tomorroz so will pop in HMV/game see if they have handouts :)...will prob preorder a wii in game while there if i can. middnight opening FTW.

glad to see ninty are advertising early..people will tell others..they will tell others..word of mouth the next few months saying "omg motion sensor" etc then ninty will have a winner.

It's good to see stuff like this appearing already, get people talking about it. I still wonder how the hell they're going to demo Wii in the shops though, that's going to be quite a challenge I think.

it will be like those films where you put your hands through the glass in gloves for chemicals & stuff. that would be funny.

That's cool, I know the Nintendo portuguese distributor had an event where they showed retailers DS Lite, its games and Wii videos and stuff, so maybe they'll start advertising soon.

That's cool, I know the Nintendo portuguese distributor had an event where they showed retailers DS Lite, its games and Wii videos and stuff, so maybe they'll start advertising soon.
completly offtopic but... That's because they are in risk of loosing the portuguese distribution... quite honestly I don't want them, I want nintendo here...

After selling Wind Waker copies that came with console bundles with stickers over the "not for resale" message for 65€ and importing the Australian RE0 who costed 16€ and sold it for 65€... I simply don't want them here. They shouldn't start representing Nintendo just out of fear, they should do it always.

I'm considering of writing a few e-mails to pressure Nintendo of Europe now, I feel like it's just one more push and the last fifteen years of horrible distribution will be over. I's now or never and it should change in time for Wii.

Also there should be at least some games with portuguese language as a option, like the pokemon games and more recently, brain training. not that I care as I play everything in english, but it's a big barrier to most of the population, hence part of the lack of success.

Can't Nintendo of Spain just expand a little to cover Portugal as well? There should be a large enough market for it, right?

I saw a wii poster at least a month and a half ago advertising the Wii in GAME. It didnt say much though. Just ask at counter for more details.

Can't Nintendo of Spain just expand a little to cover Portugal as well? There should be a large enough market for it, right?
There's almost no market, Portugal is where SNES even lost against Mega Drive. the distribution was always kind of bad, but when N64 arrived it was almost dropped. it's been 10 years since we are left in the cold here.

What should be done is exactly what you said, create Nintendo Iberica or something so they can pack Spain and Portugal into one, it would be alot better than what we have now.

We don't even have acess to the stars catalogue gifts, as they won't send them over here. :hmm:

Nintendo needs to revise this before Wii launches, because there's a lot of small countries in European Union and the sales numbers are the sum of them, they need to put themselfes together. they need to sell more everywhere.

EDIT:

I saw a wii poster at least a month and a half ago advertising the Wii in GAME. It didnt say much though. Just ask at counter for more details.
I went to Denmark two weeks ago and they had this free magazine called game reactor, they had 3 pages dedicated to wii and some more pics here and there... I guess it's not bad at all for a console that isn't out yet.

Shame I can't read that magazine, it's in Danish.