NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The Bard

Power Metal and/ or other music.

I have dragonforce tickets for december:awesome:

I love them, i also really like In Flames, Sonata Artica, Symphony X, and some others.

Nightwish is kinda good too.

Yeah, on the lyrical front, it's not just opinion, it's fact that metal has produced some of the worlds greatest lyricists, such as James Hetfield, Mikael Akerfeldt, Dave Mustaine (also known as god), Matt Barlow etc...

As for them being angry, that's one of the reasons some subgenres of metal, such as thrash are so gratifying to listen to, they tackle real world issues with a depth and meaningfulness that you don't get in pop music (usually) For example, take metallica's four most renowned ballads, Sanitarium is about Mental illness from the viewpoint of the person afflicted by the illness, Fade to Black is about suicide, One is probably the greatest war epic of all time, about a young man who has gone to war and returned worse than dead, and only Nothing Else matters is an unabashed love song, and it is so much more honest and heartfelt than anything I've heard before or since on the same subject.

I think power metal is hated so much becuase it has more a pop way of approaching lyrics, that aren't about anything serious, just about having a good time, which tbh there is nothing wrong with.

If there is anyone here who thinks that power metal is all there is to metal, it's not at all. If you want to see what real metal is, heres what I reccomend to you:

B00002605V.08._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Metallica, the biggest band on the planet. Songs to download are "Nothing Else Matters" "One" "Harvester of Sorrow" "Blackened" "Orion (Instrumental)" "For Whom The Bell tolls", in fact, you can't go wrong with anything from their first 5 albums.

there are others, but im in a lazy mood, so if you want to know, just post something indicating and ill give you some more suggestions.

I also have tickets for Dragonforce's manchester show on the second strike tour. They were seriously the best live band ever when i saw them last at academy 2 me and my mates lost our voices after singing along to all of black fire :heh:, hopefully they'll be able to play the apollo this time.

didn't realise they were doing a second strike tour damn now i need some cash for tickets

Nah, power metal is shit.

I'm sorry but you're mistaking me for someone who actually gives a crap about your opinion. Quite apart from wasting my valuable bandwidth by having to download your 2kb of worthless text, you seem to have forgotten that this place is full of people who think powermetal is teh sex, and the terms on which I created this thread is that people give a valid reason for their opinion or leave, and since I honestly doubt you have the intelligence to do either, I'm going to let this go, but it would just be superdeduper if you could stop being a dislikeable **** now wouldn't it?

I'm sorry but you're mistaking me for someone who actually gives a crap about your opinion. Quite apart from wasting my valuable bandwidth by having to download your 2kb of worthless text, you seem to have forgotten that this place is full of people who think powermetal is teh sex, and the terms on which I created this thread is that people give a valid reason for their opinion or leave, and since I honestly doubt you have the intelligence to do either, I'm going to let this go, but it would just be superdeduper if you could stop being a dislikeable **** now wouldn't it?

You asked for opinions, so I gave one. Continue to flame me if you like, but you're just going to get the thread locked.

I just tried to give some of your suggestions a listen on iTunes, The Bard, but I... just can't. Listening to them yodelling on just made me burst out laughing.

I'm not saying it's bad, or that the bands are talentless: I can appreciate that I could never do what they're doing, and I'm sure they're doing it fantastically. The style just doesn't mesh with the type of person I am, I think — the '80s and I have never really got on.

Really? What ones did you try? I'm guessing it was Blind Guardian though, yeah not many can "get" Hansi's voice to start off with, but if you listen to it without any preconcieved notions, i swear to god it'll grow on you, just ask Mundi...

You asked for opinions, so I gave one. Continue to flame me if you like, but you're just going to get the thread locked.

Can you validate your opinion? If so go ahead, if not, kindly sit down and have yourself a nice cup of shut the hell up!

Rhapsody pwn all before them. quite possibly the funniest musical act in history.

Rhapsody pwn all before them. quite possibly the funniest musical act in history.

Rhapsody are my favourite Power Metal band too, for cheap laughs it has to be "The Magic Of The Wizard's Dream" featuring a disgraced Christopher Lee.

My Enjoyment of Power Metal goes no further than laughing at its clichés when pissed and revelling (albeit with a tongue firmly in one cheek) in the bombastic imagery created by the fantastical timbres. Even my friends (a few of who have formed a Power Metal band) enthuse as much about the hilarity of it all as they do the nods to the classical composers (of whom they are well versed in). Last year I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen, the godfather of the genre, who was supported by a band called "Dragonland" who had a song entitled "Majesty of the Mythril Mountain". Announced in the singer's Nordic tones it had me and my mates chuckling for about half way through its duration.

I'm just leaving a phase of loving the ultra-twiddly guitaring, my tastes these days heading towards rootsier rock stylings and blues/rock jams. For me these genres satiate the appetite that got me into playing the guitar in the first place much better than the baroque-esque arpeggiotron stuff I dabbled in for a while. Regardless, if you're a fan of the guitaring in Power Metal I can empathise, retrospectively at least.

I lvoe Iron Maiden and Metallica, but that's all the metal i listen to

Love Maiden also, but I wouldn't class them as Power Metal.

Can't stand Metallica. Weird how tastes vary.

Hammerfall are realy good, try and get the song "blood bound" kicks ass :)

Rhapsody are my favourite Power Metal band too, for cheap laughs it has to be "The Magic Of The Wizard's Dream" featuring a disgraced Christopher Lee.

My Enjoyment of Power Metal goes no further than laughing at its clichés when pissed and revelling (albeit with a tongue firmly in one cheek) in the bombastic imagery created by the fantastical timbres. Even my friends (a few of who have formed a Power Metal band) enthuse as much about the hilarity of it all as they do the nods to the classical composers (of whom they are well versed in). Last year I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen, the godfather of the genre, who was supported by a band called "Dragonland" who had a song entitled "Majesty of the Mythril Mountain". Announced in the singer's Nordic tones it had me and my mates chuckling for about half way through its duration.

I'm just leaving a phase of loving the ultra-twiddly guitaring, my tastes these days heading towards rootsier rock stylings and blues/rock jams. For me these genres satiate the appetite that got me into playing the guitar in the first place much better than the baroque-esque arpeggiotron stuff I dabbled in for a while. Regardless, if you're a fan of the guitaring in Power Metal I can empathise, retrospectively at least.

personally I'm more a fan of 'village of dwarves'

:bouncy:

An awful lot of the worlds best lyricists are people who are in Metal Bands and sing about war, destruction, disabilty etc. Although love is also sung about, it has a darker more intense and personal feel. You should be able to empathise with a lot of it.

To be honest, that just sounds like emo music. Not the good kind of early nineties emo though, I'm talking about the recent stuff.

"weener heavy"- as my friend likes to call it. Or actually only means sonata arctica and stratovarius by that. He is kind of a Blind guardian fan though. And there's a band that is more even more hilarious than manowar here in finland. It's like a bad copy of them.

As for me I'm pretty easily satisfied. Just give me a song with nice distorted guitar melody and I'm happy :)

Enter sandman and master of puppets are some of my favourite songs. The latter probably because it reminds the doom- theme (or the doom theme resembles it)

I find it funny how The Bard gets all pissy when people spout crap in his threads, yet will do it to others.

Lawl.

Yah, it's wierd, I don't realise I'm doing it.::shrug: but the thing is, I always give a reason for my opinion

To be honest, that just sounds like emo music. Not the good kind of early nineties emo though, I'm talking about the recent stuff.

That's a load of crap, metal has always been about war and other such topics, emo is not, and has never been, most emo has pretty much the same lyrical depth as most pop. If you can tell me about a single emo band that has similar lyrics to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer or Deicide for example, well I will go and piss over Cliff Burton's grave.

Can we talk general metal here?

Because the new Stone Sour song 30/30-150, is fucking amazing.

Yeah, I do kind of like Stone Sour, Bother is one of the only songs I can actually play and sing at the same time, it's prolly one of their best songs, it summed up my emotions perfectly when I was going through a rough patch. I haven't heard the new one....link?

Edit: You know who are amazing? Sonata Arctica, although they do take the prize for worst lyrics of all time. Wolf and Raven has a pretty beastly intro.

30/30 150 is on the Roadrunner website somewhere. Its an amazing song and its great live too.

And emo bands from my understanding tend to be a bunch of rich kids (I heard alot are from New Jersey aswell but I dont know if thats significant) whining about their girlfriends or something else thats inconsequential. How many of them have had real pain? Max Cavalera's (ex Sepultura, Soulfly) step son was murdered and his grandson (8 months old) died recently. Thats real shit there not just some malcontent bitching.

Oh and Bard, One is my favourite song of all time.

Yeah, that's the way it is. These emo kids have never had to put up with real pain, they're just a bunch of rich kids whining on about nothing in particular.

Also, yeah, "One" is an immnesely inspiring song, everything about it is just perfect.

That's a very open minded attitude, isn't it? Way to go on starting a topic because people think your musical tastes are shit, and then saying other people's musical tastes are shit.

I didnt say it was shit (but I think it loudly) but that for people who are supposedly in so much pain, they have experience very little of it.

That's a very open minded attitude, isn't it? Way to go on starting a topic because people think your musical tastes are shit, and then saying other people's musical tastes are shit.

It has nothing to do with being open minded, I'm one of the most open minded people I know, I can give anything a try without any preconceptions, but the thing is, I've already listened to emo, and it's a shallow, mindless fad. I didn't start this topic because people think my musical tastes are shit, you're placing too much importance on the idea that I actually give two shits about what people think of me/ my musical tastes. I created this thread because everytime I started to argue my point, the thread got closed, which is something that frustrates me about the R-E forums in particular, the mods and admins seem to have a very hostile attitude towards an open discussion. After all, what's a forum for if you can't talk freely?

The problem with people here is that they talk with an open mouth, but a closed mind, just take a look at some of the comments here! And I talk so opinionatedly because I have been listening to and playing music since I was five, I've seen a lot of thing's come and go, Grunge, Nu Metal, etc, but the music I listen to has stayed constant, because it's played for the music itself, not as a way to make fast money, and I'm not just talking about Metal here, there are a great deal of very "true" (as I like to call them) musicians that have stood the test of time, like Ginger and Bad Religion. I don't take kindly to some young punk on a forum that only started to acknowledge the existance of music at 14, who then comes and tells me that what I listen to is shit. Fuck that, if you are truly passionate about the music you listen to and love, then you should be as opinionated as I am and be able to tell me why what you listen to is worth my time.

I didn't start this topic because people think my musical tastes are shit, you're placing too much importance on the idea that I actually give two shits about what people think of me/ my musical tastes. I created this thread because everytime I started to argue my point, the thread got closed, which is something that frustrates me about the R-E forums in particular, the mods and admins seem to have a very hostile attitude towards an open discussion. After all, what's a forum for if you can't talk freely?

Hardly. Those threads got closed becuase you started to bitch about how great your music is, thus turning the thread totally off topic and starting flame wars.

Listen to what you like, I don't give a flying fuck. Just stop flaming others and thinking you're music is godly.

Can we talk general metal here?

Because the new Stone Sour song 30/30-150, is fucking amazing.

I saw (and heard) Stone Sour for the first time ever at Download Ireland and I thought they were amazing!

Listen to what you like, I don't give a flying fuck. Just stop flaming others and thinking you're music is godly.

Firstly, I'll think whatever the fuck I want to.

Secondly since when have I flamed anyone that's said something rational and understandable and not along the lines of "OMG U SuX0R, EmO Es Teh OWNZ0RZ MY PWNZ0RZ N GIV ME A B0NEZ0RZ!!!? I haven't, but if I have, kindly tell me where and I will gladly go dance naked on dimebags grave.

You have yet to say anything about music, so it seems you are here just to antagonise me. I created this thread for the sake of rational discussion, and thats the way I'd like for it to continue.

Sign in to follow this