NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nick81

The truth about Sensible Soccer 2006

If, like me, you are a Sensi Soccer fan then no doubt you are aware of the most recent effort to update the game, in the just-released-in-time-for-the-World-Cup Sensible Soccer 2006.

You might also know about Eurogamer's glowing 9/10 review of the game.

Yet the comments section of Eurogamer reveal much discontent - and hint at deletions of comments that were critical of the game.

And then I was forwarded this link: an article by Stuart Campbell on the Great Sensible Soccer Swindle.

It appears that Sensible Soccer 2006 was rushed out, unfinished, for the World Cup - and, in contrast to Eurogamer's review, is actually a total calamity riddled with bugs and glitches that they never once mentioned. Stuart Campbell also notes that the game engine is based on Codemasters' failed Club Football series - despite assurances that the games was "all-new".

As Mr. Campbell also notes,

"Your reporter draws no conclusions or parallels between this and the fact that Eurogamer was the first publication to review Sensible Soccer 2006. And first by quite some distance, at that - in fact, the review was published early enough that, should it happen to produce a favourable score and/or some good quotes, there'd be just enough time to get them included on box stickers, promotional materials and adverts. That this very thing then went on to happen is, your reporter feels sure, merely a coincidence and in no way suspicious."

Anyway, just thought any Sensi, or even non-Sensi, fans would want the full story.

Oh dear, what a disaster.

This sort of thing is bound to happen with games getting rushed out in time before a certain event. Still, that's gotta ruin the credibility of Eurogamer. :/

Those screenies took 8 years? Well I guess they are/were trying to keep the retro look.

I wonder if you can still score by running inline with either line of the 18 yard line, shooting and bending it. Always worked on the first game.

Those screenies took 8 years? Well I guess they are/were trying to keep the retro look.

I wonder if you can still score by running inline with either line of the 18 yard line, shooting and bending it. Always worked on the first game.

.....SHMOTZ?!

:yay:

Indeed, this whole thing is very disappointing, to say the least.

If anyone visits other forums or websites regularly, please take a moment and link to the Stuart Campbell article which I noted above. Hopefully then Sensi fans won't be suckered into buying this update.

In my article on games journalism I made reference to the Driv3r debacle - I didn't think another fiasco would come along quite so soon.

Wow, this is disgraceful. I am a follower of EuroGamer and after reading their review I nearly went and obtained it not by buying it. Which when finding it was crap I would've only be slightly annoyed, but for people who read their reviews and go out and buy games based upon this this is a disgrace.

Just looking at the comments draws sympathy for the poor souls who have thrown away 20 quid as a result.

"I've got to say I feel a bit conned."

"ultimately, we put our money where your mouths are, and it feels to me like you've let us down. "

I feel a strong sense of mistrust to EG now, me thinks I may take down my RSS feed.

I feel real let down by this, was so looking forward to this and it's a shame to hear just how crap it is. It's always nice to see an old franchise reinvented but is so gutting when it seems to go as wrong as this has.

This has been done before, people should be vary of football titles near and around the WC.

I'm shocked that EuroGamer have gone and totally disgraced themselves. I've always thought they were a credible source for reviews and opinions.....seems not.

The thing about Sensible Soccer 06 using the club football engine aswell seems totally accurate considering how quickly this game was developed and chucked out just to cash in on the world cup.

Sign in to follow this