NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
|Laguna|

Magazines

What magazines do you read, why, and your opinions on them.

I was going to say gaming magazines as this is probably the majority of what people purchase but I'm sure many of you buy other publications, like maybe Kerrang, or the Beano and I'd be fascinated to hear why for example intelligent people here may buy Heat or Closer or Now or some other (imho) drivel. :idea:

I will go first. :awesome:

GamesTM

Stylish multi-format magazine with well written articles catering to a mature audience. It's good as it has none of the blantant fanboyism you see in other single format magazines. They also have an abundance of great features and developer profiles. Real value for money as four English pounds gets you 180 pages of gaming goodness.

Edge

Again, majoritvely the same reasons as GamesTM but Edge seems to cater for an audience much more involved in videogames just for fun. There are numerous articles on the industry and game creation which are interesting to read as I am interested in the industry. However, they are a wee bit elitest and sometimes there articles are more abstract than required. Their writing style needs the upmost attention, and I often find myself re-reading a paragraph to get what they are on about. Only just started buying it, and I see it has a progession from GamesTm. They are notoriously harsh though in their reviews.

Official Nintendo Magazine

Detested NOM, but this new slightly stylised magazine seems to be good. Not fantastic, and lacks a lot of the personality you used saw in NGC but they have good exclusives and features which make up for this. It's a nice big magazine and I'm encouraged by the free gifts, however, I hope to see less fridge magnets, I found these nigh on pointless. Their reviews are basic, catering for a mass audience, and they are wanting to appeal to older as well as younger so they are not as complex as say Edge.

Only thing that irrates me is how guides are stuffed into the magazine. I think in this day and age were the majority of the audience either don't like to cheat/be guided through a game or if they do they just visit GameFAQs, these guides are a waste of space.

That's my list. I used to buy NGC before it went under, although I will certainly pick up their new publication as I am somewhat a magazine whote. :geek:

But what about you?

I mostly read CPU

CPU

This magazine is great, it supplies me with how much all the new things cost, it has great reviews for the new technology on the market. It has a custom PC section where 1 PC each month, that was modded by somebody and tells us about it. It's very neat. This magazine is one of the best computer magazines i've ever read and would highly recommend it.

9.5/10

I couldnt believe it when NGC started becoming so slim, it was humiliating, they were by far the best magazine, full of charisma and humour and you knew they were just great guys who loved games and were honest and fun in telling you about them. I cant wait for their new development, whatever it may be.

ONM is great though for now. I occasionally pick up Games TM but im not a fan of Edge, to me its all just a little robotic, theres no soul to them i feel. Games are fun, not a political debate, at least not constantly. I think they take it way too seriously, which is good is some respects for hardline, honest reviews, but wheres the entertainment? Its an aquired taste and one i think many readers take just because they feel reading Edge makes them classified gamer. Not the case.

ONM, but I might stop after the novelty wears off I used to have a free PCG sub, but it got cancelled. I Occasionally buy GamesTM and Edge. But really, internets replaces print based publications. I do like to have something physical to read and flick through though.

Its an aquired taste and one i think many readers take just because they feel reading Edge makes them classified gamer. Not the case.

Yes, I'll admit, I do get a small elitest feeling when I do buy the magazine but I don't buy it for this elated feeling, I buy it for mainly it's articles/editorials as they are well written pieces which cannot be replicated well online. Also, the news sections in magazines should anylse news more and it's implications. As websites mainly just state the news, they don't delve into it's meanigs.

I used to collect 2 magz, these are:

Official Nintendo Magazine - Great mag, much better than the old NOM. Great reviews and good articles

NGC - Before they went under - Heres hoping that the new one is better than previous

Still collect ONM, but stopped NGC since it is no longer on sale

I tend to buy:

NGC - the Best Magazine Everâ„¢, hopefully will return to its glory days when it's reborn next month

EDGE - a nice break from the fanboyish tendencies of other magazines

LFC - a weekly publication about Britain's most successful football team, although nowhere in Durham seems to sell it, which is slightly annoying

The Economist - makes me look intelligent

Hustler's Barely Legal - self explanatory really

I enjoy Razzle and Reader's Wives personally.

Actually when going down to Newquay one of my associates brought a copy of Mayfair, the adverts at the back were classic, as people on my msn have already seen;

"Curious? Get wanked off by a man!"

I dont get all these mags regularly, but every now and then:

.net magazine (interweb)

ONM (nintendo)

Sidewalk (skating)

Kerrang is bollocks now, all they do is bum Ville Valo and green day

I don't really buy magazines that often, I get a few free ones through the post (what?; I'm a student). They include English nature, and some fishing one. I do however now buy airsoft international. I also get some other free ones I think, though can't remember what they are.

English nature; Well, the best thing is it's free :D, has some intresting articles in there as well.

The fishing one; lol can't remember it's name, don't read it that much, suppose it can be quite usefull, also best thing about it is it's free.

Airsoft international; Worst thing, it is a small magazine and costs like £3.50 or £4.50 or something stupid, and up untill now was only avaible online. It's ok, some intresting articles and reviews of airsoft related kit.

I do also sometimes buy Edge or NGC/ONM.

I used to collect 2 magz, these are:

Official Nintendo Magazine - Great mag, much better than the old NOM. Great reviews and good articles

NGC - Before they went under - Heres hoping that the new one is better than previous

Still collect ONM, but stopped NGC since it is no longer on sale

i love your sig and avator.Red dwarf is like the funniest show.'switch to red alert''are u sure sir it does mean switching the bulb'

hah brillinant

anyway on topic.i used to get CUBE mag.It was the funniest game mag.their reviews on bad games were hilarious

I used to read NGC, but since it became crappy I only occasionally buy it. I have found all official incarnations of Nintendo magazines to be dire (including ONM), but I like Edge and would probably read it if I could be bothered and/or had enough money to buy it.

So other than that, I only read New Scientist.

Neo

Pretty cool magazine even if this months is my first one. Has bascially everything about anime, manga, asian film etc you would need plus the tokyopop sneaks was pretty cool.

Edge

The only video game mag i get cause it isn't full of fanboys

Car

I just read my dad's, cool pics :awesome:

Neo

Pretty cool magazine even if this months is my first one. Has bascially everything about anime, manga, asian film etc you would need plus the tokyopop sneaks was pretty cool.

I forgot about that one... it's quite good, and I pick it up when I see it. (which is hardly ever)

I remember around when GC came out I always got NGC,CUBE and NOM every month. As time went on I only bought NGC (as they are the best) but stopped buying it because of news generally on the internet.

I bought the first issue of ONM and thought it was an improvement, but I don't intend on buying it regularly, although I'm tempted to get the latest one for the DVD.

As of now I don't buy magazines but I think if NGC are reborn as NWii or something i'll most get it often.

Games TM

Brilliant mag....need to renew my subscription though. So so good.

I find Edge a little too fancy if you know what I mean. Some of their articles I just don't get, are they aimed at developers or something??

NGC - great mag, with trustworthy reviews and little injects of humour. thinking of trying out GamesTM.

Edge

Most balanced and pointful games magazine in my opinion.

And i have every issue since issue 51, that equals over 110 issues and nine years of subscription.

ONM

I used to buy NOM until it changed, and i read the official magazine because it brings out the fanboy within me....

And i like it

the big issue

makes me feel good when i buy it, and also it often has pretty interesting articles about world issues, poverty, race issues etc. not always riveting but worth the money it costs.

random toliet magazines

these are not personally bought by me, but by my mum, she reads them in the bath and then leaves me them to read whilst i sit on the toliet, usually magazines like 'that's life!,' 'woman,' and 'take a break.' they are mainly shit but do have interesting stuff in them sometimes, like 'my wife married my brother then had sex with my dog.' make the hours i spend on the toilet fly by haha :)

im not really a fan of games magazines anymore, i used to buy NGC every month up until a few years back but then i got better things to spend my £3.50 (or whatever it cost) a month on. although if edge has a particularly appealing cover and i have a long journey planned that would be my gaming magazine of choice.

I buy magazines on a whim, don't buy one every week/fortnight/month or whatever. I sometimes buy NME or Kerrang and I just buy it for the pictures, as I'm a sometimes music-photographer.

Not so much a magazine (read: not at all) but me and Guy (The3rdChildren) spotted Dabookerman having a quick glance at good old Page 3 when on the Tube.

NGC - [insert another rant about NCG's size]

(wtf? how is that too short?...board can't count)

i ocassionally get Car or Top Gear Magazine. I got car for ages, i think I have 10 years complete at home. I used to read NGC, but it stopped being awesome, so I stopped buying it. If i want a games mag now I'll get edge, as that is a great magazine.

i buy kerrang. It's a terrible maagazine, but the gig and album reviews are pretty decent. I have also just taken out a subscription to National Geographic, which I'm looking forward to.

Sign in to follow this