NEurope
blender

Pokemon Battle Revolution

I watched that gametrailers one there now - looks good to me!

The guy didnt mention it but there is a one player adventure akin to the Cube games, yeah? As wick as that "adventure" is compared to the Gameboy games, its a must for Pokemon Battle Revolution for me.

actualy he said clearly that there wasn't one.

at first after i heard this i thought of not buying the game

i mean pokemon coloseum and xd sucked in battle mode as it was anoying to find people to play with, find batteries for my gba and then lug out the cables (which i only had 2 of)

i think this game will be a little like pokemon box rs in the sense that theres no real reason to get it unless you have the the handheld counterpart.

Did he say so then?

Urgh thats really gonna make me rethink getting this game then. Is online really enough of a saving grace for it? We shall see what the lay of the land is by the time it hits Europe and whether I think I need it or not. :hmm:

(Graphics still look great though. But that Arcanine they showed a few times looked a bit wonky.)

Did he say so then?

Urgh thats really gonna make me rethink getting this game then. Is online really enough of a saving grace for it? We shall see what the lay of the land is by the time it hits Europe and whether I think I need it or not. :hmm:

(Graphics still look great though. But that Arcanine they showed a few times looked a bit wonky.)

I think if it's online it'll be a stunner, if not, it'll be wank. Simple.

I think if it's online it'll be a stunner, if not, it'll be wank. Simple.

But it's already confirmed online isnt it?

Yeah its definitely online, we knew that a while ago.

I'm suprised though that theres no one player adventure...!?! :hmm:

Now that the game is out in the US I thought I would bump this topic up for the people who have got it on import or just live over there.

Emasher, you fancy giving us some impressions of what the game is like? Cheers.

sure

The wifi mode could probably be a stand alone game and still sell (thats how good it is)

the customizable trainer thing isn't quite what we thought because you don't have anything to start so there not really that custom until the end of the game

the DS upload is brilliant, it syncs all your boxes plus your party (so make sure you don't have anything good in the daycare) right onto your system memory.

the get over wireless mystery event in D/P is for getting the items from pbr to d/p.

back to the online. The friend code system is very similar to mario kart only you can download the persons friend pass after the match if they argree. This won't put them on your friends list it will just allow you to use the pass that they were using when the battled you.

there are a few graphic changes such as the pokemon actually go up and attack the other pokemon. plus there is a super cheesy announcer who you will get used to but he can be turned off.

one other thing is you can actually customize all the things your character says (for instance before the battle if he wins if he looses when he switches pokemon and when he first sends out a pokemon.

If this game turns out to be good i'd eat my keyboard.

The only good thing going for it is graphics and on-line. I'm sick of pokemon.

It really gets old after 10 years of the same godamn thing.

My Full Review

Rating: 8.8

Pokemon Battle Revolution is just what the name suggests, Genius Sonority, the developer of the console pokemon games since coloseum, have brought in many of the features that we have always wanted in a pokemon game. The few features that i think should have been in the game are, Voice control when using the DS as a controller for multiplayer, Mii support and being able to walk arround Poketopia.

The game takes place in a place much like the battle frontier from emerald know as Poketopia. Poketopia is a resort for pokemon battling with all kinds of coloseums a store an a few other places. At the begining of the game you arrive by plane to the resort and are greeted by an annying receptionist who will proceed to explain the game to you. There are a few graphic changes such as the pokemon actually go up and attack the other pokemon. plus there is a super cheesy announcer who you will get used to but he can be turned off.

One of the main features in Battle Revolution is the Battle Passes that you create and collect. Each battle pass has a trainer and a team of six pokemon to choose from before the battle. You start out with a rental pass that has a basic team and you can obtain more rental passes throughout the game (this would be usefull if you don't have diamond or pearl). You can also upload your own pokemon from Diamond or Pearl to create custom passes (more on that later). The third and final way to obtain a pass is to download a copy of a pass that a person you faced online used.

The DS upload is brilliant, it syncs all your boxes plus your party (so make sure you don't have anything good in the daycare) right onto your system memory. After doing this you can create a custom team from your d/p pokemon for a custom pass (don't worry the pokemon can be swiched out of your party and put in storage just as easily as it has been to since the third generation). The get over wireless mystery event in D/P is for getting the items from pbr to d/p (such as TMs) that you have purchased in Battle Revoultion. There is no word yet on getting event pokemon from this.

The customizable trainer thing isn't quite what we thought because you don't have anything to start so there not really that custom until the end of the game. One thing you can actually do is customize all the things your character says (for instance before the battle if he wins if he looses when he switches pokemon and when he first sends out a pokemon).

The wifi mode could probably be a stand alone game and still sell (thats how good it is). The friend code system is very similar to mario kart only you can download the person's friend pass after the match if they argree. This won't put them on your friends list it will just allow you to use the pass that they were using when the battled you.

Over all Pokemon Battle Revolution is a great adition to the Wii library and if you don't buy it you'll be missing out on a lot.

© 2007 Emasher

If this game turns out to be good i'd eat my keyboard.

The only good thing going for it is graphics and on-line. I'm sick of pokemon.

It really gets old after 10 years of the same godamn thing.

Pokémon sig? That's interesting. :heh:

Pokémon Battle Revolution sounds more like an application than a game.

Pokémon sig? That's interesting. :heh:

Ha i was too harsh I meant i'm sick on pokemon on consoles and it's being the same since stadium. i do like Diamond/pearl:)

Things I would like to see:

- A non-turn-based battle system. How cool would a mini-rts style battle be instead of the current system? (Like up to 3 Pokémon a side, actual realtime combat and you telling each one where to go and what to do). The "battle arena" could be based on the area you are in too.

- Screw the 350+ rubbish Pokémon. Just give us the original 151.

- How about a much more involved story?

- No random battles. Have long grass, but have it so you can see the Pokémon. Bump into them - get whisked off to a "Battle arena"

Still, Pokémon sells, so I can't see them changing much.

- A non-turn-based battle system. How cool would a mini-rts style battle be instead of the current system? (Like up to 3 Pokémon a side, actual realtime combat and you telling each one where to go and what to do). The "battle arena" could be based on the area you are in too.

- No random battles. Have long grass, but have it so you can see the Pokémon. Bump into them - get whisked off to a "Battle arena"

ok point 1 there could be interesting

point 2: you know thats never going to happen.But perhaps the new characters have these long very silly names that get to you... ZIGZAGOON anyone

point 3: ok a better story i agree. I feel that diamond was a better step in that field. It's getting there for handhelds.

Point 4: ranger pretty much did that except you draw rings to capture them.

I believe a pokemon game can easily be as good as final fantasy games etc but needs a much better story than given

My points:

-3d rpg adventure

-Give pokemon more than 4 moves.

-Why can't you choose your pokemon rather than sending our the first one each time.

-Faster battles. I turn the animation off but i'm still not satified.

-No more going to gyms storyline, I'm quite sick of it.

they apply to both handhelds and consoles.

Perhaps a new developer is needed like eidos did with tomb raider.

actually once you get used to it pbr feels fast and exciting even with turnbased battles

the console games since coloseum have had a different developer

handheld games = gamefreak

console games = genius sonority

Thanks Emasher!

I really loved the N64 Pokemon Stadium games and that is what this seems to play like but with online added, this makes me a very happy man. Lets just hope our US Diamond/Pearl works with the UK version of Battle Revolution.

A Non-Turn based battle system could work, but it'd change the game too much and risk things being dodgy.

The arenas are all based on what area you are in and several attacks work differently depending where you are as it is

The amount of new Pokémon added is necessary. If they kept the 151 and only used it, the games would be even more stale than they already are. With the new Pokemon there are different strengths, types etc. which brings in more strategy. FRLG originally had you only with the first 151 Pokémon, but that game only got better once you had the ability to go to the Sevii Islands and boom, newer Pokémon were there. Every game, even Mario games add new enemies, sometimes companions...if they don't, they go stale and die.

In games such as this, Random Battles are essential. There are many Pokémon with varying statistics that are absolutely random. They have to have Random Battles for it to work, for levelling to work. If they were on screen, you could only have say 5 Pokémon in one area, it limits the rarity, it limits the amount you can battle...its just generally not a good idea. Look at Ranger, it managed to pull it off because there was no variety...you needed them for one thing and one thing only and thats all they were good for, but it still felt really really empty. It needs Random Battles to live

ok point 1 there could be interesting

point 2: you know thats never going to happen.But perhaps the new characters have these long very silly names that get to you... ZIGZAGOON anyone

point 3: ok a better story i agree. I feel that diamond was a better step in that field. It's getting there for handhelds.

Point 4: ranger pretty much did that except you draw rings to capture them.

I believe a pokemon game can easily be as good as final fantasy games etc but needs a much better story than given

My points:

-3d rpg adventure

-Give pokemon more than 4 moves.

-Why can't you choose your pokemon rather than sending our the first one each time.

-Faster battles. I turn the animation off but i'm still not satified.

-No more going to gyms storyline, I'm quite sick of it.

they apply to both handhelds and consoles.

Perhaps a new developer is needed like eidos did with tomb raider.

They did a 3D RPG adventure with no gyms storyline. Guess what. People constantly bitched and moaned about there being no gyms in it ¬¬ even though many of those said that they wanted a change. The change was good IMO, fresh but people didn't like it

As for having 4 moves. Its part of the strategy. Allowing for more will ruin part of the stategical aspect of the games. If you allow for more attacks, the stategy is more diluted and its all the same

A Non-Turn based battle system could work, but it'd change the game too much and risk things being dodgy.

The arenas are all based on what area you are in and several attacks work differently depending where you are as it is

The amount of new Pokémon added is necessary. If they kept the 151 and only used it, the games would be even more stale than they already are. With the new Pokemon there are different strengths, types etc. which brings in more strategy. FRLG originally had you only with the first 151 Pokémon, but that game only got better once you had the ability to go to the Sevii Islands and boom, newer Pokémon were there. Every game, even Mario games add new enemies, sometimes companions...if they don't, they go stale and die.

In games such as this, Random Battles are essential. There are many Pokémon with varying statistics that are absolutely random. They have to have Random Battles for it to work, for levelling to work. If they were on screen, you could only have say 5 Pokémon in one area, it limits the rarity, it limits the amount you can battle...its just generally not a good idea. Look at Ranger, it managed to pull it off because there was no variety...you needed them for one thing and one thing only and thats all they were good for, but it still felt really really empty. It needs Random Battles to live

They did a 3D RPG adventure with no gyms storyline. Guess what. People constantly bitched and moaned about there being no gyms in it ¬¬ even though many of those said that they wanted a change. The change was good IMO, fresh but people didn't like it

As for having 4 moves. Its part of the strategy. Allowing for more will ruin part of the stategical aspect of the games. If you allow for more attacks, the stategy is more diluted and its all the same

I thought you would say that.I had no idea That a game was made with no gyms one of the gamecube games i take it.

Still i guess fans just don't know what they want until it's giving to them.

each of the gamecube games did have a gym thought (however it was the same one)

the thing i found with PBR i don't know why but it actually feels different it feels like a pokemon battle should be fast paced an you actually almost feel like your controlling the pokemon in real time even though its turn based.

Uh oh 5.0 from ign.

Apparntly gives you much less than stadium did 10 years ago.

I won't be eating my keyboard anytimes soon anyway. Wonder what gamespot will give it:P

I bet 4.5

This game is basically a way to connect your DS to your Wii and play in 3D, so a lower price wouldn't be bad.

its not that bad a game you guys would understand better if you had actually played it

its not just like the battle mode in xd or coloseum

it feels like an actual game and not just an add-on to d/p

At first i was unsure if I wanted this game, but after watching a few videos it looks like random Wifi battles will be fun.

PBR has a great one player mode, people just expect more nowadays. It's 1Player mode is better than stadium, it just lacks mini games and somehow that makes it much less than what Stadium had.

IGN know nothing :p

i think the idea was that it wasn't supposed to be a minigame collection or have a minigame collection