NEurope
Dante

ATI: Wii Graphics at E3 "Tip of the Iceberg"

What a way to evade the questions. No matter I didn't expect any new information.
still... he shows confidence :P
It's entirely possible, it all depends on what Nintendo wanted ATI to make.

we know what Nintendo wanted... a cost effective and higly optimized chip where you really didn't need to look at the specs.

It'll be a good chip, at that.

Your eyes can't tell the difference though!!

Yes I know that the human eye can only sense about 24fps. I don't know why, but I can easily tell the difference of a game running at 30 fps or 60fps. Even from 50fps increase to 60fps is noticeable(you actually don't see it much different, it just feels jerkier at 50). The 60fps seems a lot smoother. And the pc I'm getting is going to go well beyond 60fps for most of the time. But the power comes in handy when the fps would otherwise drop to 10-20.

But back on the topic: So the interview basically says that the artx team is also making the cube chip? That's good as I don't really trust the 'old' ATI R&D departmernt.

I want something from ATI in the region of their 256mb graphics card. I know how much money Nintendo has in the banks... why don't they spend a few billion aquiring new and upcoming games stuido's in the west and actually make a loss on their next gen games offering by giving it some kick ass graphics/processor.

Hell pair up with Apple. They wouldn't need a WiiConnect24 anymore. Everything would be done with distrubution through iTunes.

So what you want in fact is a PS3 seamus. I see...

Yes I know that the human eye can only sense about 24fps. I don't know why, but I can easily tell the difference of a game running at 30 fps or 60fps. Even from 50fps increase to 60fps is noticeable(you actually don't see it much different, it just feels jerkier at 50). The 60fps seems a lot smoother. And the pc I'm getting is going to go well beyond 60fps for most of the time. But the power comes in handy when the fps would otherwise drop to 10-20.

But back on the topic: So the interview basically says that the artx team is also making the cube chip? That's good as I don't really trust the 'old' ATI R&D departmernt.

I can explain that... the eye only sees 24 frames per second but it sees them in movement whereas in games you have stills, so theres no animation in them so you sense it like that...

see, a movie can run at 24 frames and you'll never complain, but in action scenes if you click pause you won't see a hand paused in there you will see it has motion blur...

if you pause a game you'll just have a still with no moovement going on.

As your eyes can only see 24 frames... they'll will join the two frames together like in real life and take the ilusion of moovement out of it.

As PS2 is crap at anti-aliasing but has a good amount of fill rate so they ultimately use blur effect frame by frame a lot in recent games, it gives that nice look without edges and it makes the game appear to be running at more frames... infact they use blur effect a lot as a way to cover the slowdown.

It isn't possible for the old ArtX team to be working on it as they have other projects leading ATi's main GPU cores... but they might have a hand at it, as supervisors... documentation and tips...

EDIT:

I want something from ATI in the region of their 256mb graphics card. I know how much money Nintendo has in the banks... why don't they spend a few billion aquiring new and upcoming games stuido's in the west and actually make a loss on their next gen games offering by giving it some kick ass graphics/processor.

Hell pair up with Apple. They wouldn't need a WiiConnect24 anymore. Everything would be done with distrubution through iTunes.

Do the math you need a lot more RAM and DVD space for a game to look fine at HD... it's said that you need to waste 3,4 times more RAM to make a crisp texture at SD (640x480) look as good in 1280x720...

The texture size diference is... 256x256 on Xbox to 1024x1024 in Xbox 360, four times the size... Kameo on X360 has 12 hours of game and takes up 7,9 GB for example it needs a lot more storage space aswell.

this means... 88x3,4=299,4 MB... I guess, optimal settings for wii would be 150 MBx3,4=510 MB...

but it's not that bad, specially if Nintendo finds a way to do displacement mapping and not wasting lots of RAM.

you can argue Xbox 360 can do better than that at 480p... but xbox 360 (or PS3 at that) won't make a game who only supports 480p because they are heavily focussing on the HD support, making that a system seller and then going back and making a game who doesn't use that... it won't happen... so Nintendo can rest easy.

Out of curiousity what is this PC that you're talking about.

Out of curiousity what is this PC that you're talking about.

One that will 'kick-ass' in the fall. So I haven't decided anything spec-wise yet. I'll choose the components for it close to september. Who knows what will happen in the pc world over the summer. Probably not much since everyone is on summer vacation...

Nice to see confirmed of what I already suspected. Mario Galaxy and the Brawl trailer showed much more potential than 'moderately better than Flipper' and the hints to physics acceleration confirmed new features on the GPU.

ATi's been contracted two and a half years ago for this one. They've got to deliver something decent, and I'm confident they will.

ATI's major innovations will be in power consumption and production costs.

I'm still expecting gamecube era graphics. (Jungle Beat and RE4 quality though)

I expect GC graphics for the first gen games and half assed atempts, when devs start working onf final kits we can see great results from talented devs because they already know the architecture since its similar to gc. To me this is a huge positive aspect

I think that is Nintendo's plan. They don't want us to expect much from graphics (gameplay main focus) so when they do deliver because people weren't expecting much it will be a pleasant surprise.

You have no idea how little the Flipper eats/costs already. By the way, have you seen E3 footage?

You have no idea how little the Flipper eats/costs already. By the way, have you seen E3 footage?

Do you?

Hehe, I'll explain. The Cube costs 99 euros (with profit for Ninty) which is very little for a console - apparently the hardware is very cheap, and the Flipper is most likely very chip too. Second, the GameCube uses a few small fans to cool the hardware and doesn't need big housing - apparently the hardware stays very cool. That gives an indication that the the hardware wastes and therefore uses very little energy.

If they make the Flipper with modern technology it doesn't need cooling anymore and that means they can't improve on that. They have improved on the power of the chip though.

Yeah, we thought we'd get the ATI guy to tell you this so that you won't think were pushing it with the $250 price tag, and it's awesome because you're all a bunch of gullible morons and were never actually going to release the real spec sheet anyway. Sooo..... In between finding ways to underwhelm you with our way sub par toddler friendly online service and robbing you poor bastards blind, if we have time to actually develop any games worth playing past the first two years of the consoles lifespan, we'll let you know... mmmnkay?

Wow, Kudos for honesty there Nintendo...:nono:

You do know that some fanboys and noobs are going to believe that...

I mean you heard it from Nintendo first folks ;)

Wow, Kudos for honesty there Nintendo...:nono:

Buy a PS3 and shut up.:heart:

Oh is that what I should do? Good, because I make most of my life decisions based on your opinion. Honestly, take a joke, man.

PS3's Graphics never really impressed me that much. So when people go on about it Im like SO WHAT.

When Sony can recreate Finding Nemo graphics then I'll have a legitmate reason to spend £400+

Oh is that what I should do? Good, because I make most of my life decisions based on your opinion. Honestly, take a joke, man.

Where is that from? Is it Scrubs?

I thought the heart made it clear that I was kidding.

Where is that from? Is it Scrubs?

You are correct sir...the Janitor says it when JD tells him to put the "wet floor" sign down.

Oh, lol, sorry man, got a bit carried away...bit vague though don't you think...?

Nope, a ;) means you're kidding, :heart: means "love" or could possible be taken to mean "heartfelt".

Nope, a ;) means you're kidding, :heart: means "love" or could possible be taken to mean "heartfelt".

What's your take on the ATI remarks Yen?