NEurope
Dante

ATI: Wii Graphics at E3 "Tip of the Iceberg"

Although by many accounts Nintendo stole the show at this year's E3 with an impressive Wii showing, the graphics of the Wii games were far from impressive. That said, we spoke with an ATI representative who explained that what we saw was just the "tip of the iceberg." The "Hollywood" GPU may be more powerful than we think.

While Microsoft and Sony are busy pushing polygons and stressing high-definition content, Nintendo has let graphics take a "backseat," if you will, to the unique functionality of the Wii-mote. Many people who viewed and played Wii games at E3 this year would tell you that the visuals looked roughly on par with what users already see on their GameCubes.

But that doesn't mean that Wii games will simply look like GameCube titles using a unique control method. Nintendo already told us that the hardware being used at E3 was not finalized. Moreover, during the show GameDaily BIZ met with ATI, which is providing the "Hollywood" GPU for the Wii, and John Swinimer, Senior Public Relations Manager of Consumer Products, emphasized that the Wii architecture is capable of producing far better results than what we've witnessed thus far. "I think what you saw [on Wii] was just the tip of the iceberg of what the Hollywood chip can bring to the Nintendo Wii," he said.

We tried to pry some design specs out of ATI, but Swinimer would only offer the following: "I'm really not here to talk about the design specs... other than the fact that ATI worked closely with Nintendo. The team that worked on this chip also worked on the Flipper chip that was in GameCube, and they've been working with Nintendo for a very long time so there's a great chemistry with the two teams working together."

He continued, "I really don't think that it's about the [specs]; I think it's about the innovation that it brings to the table—the motion-sensing, the always-on capability, which is really cool too—the fact that the chip is powerful enough and responsive enough to be there at a moment's notice, and I think that's pretty cool for the average gamer."

Industry sources have said that the Wii GPU would be moderately more powerful than the GameCube's GPU, but how much more we don't know. Conservative estimates from developers have placed the Wii console as a whole at 2 - 2.5 times more powerful than the GameCube.

ATI is also responsible for providing the custom GPU for Microsoft's Xbox 360, so we tried to find out how the "Hollywood" chip compares to what's in the 360. Once again, however, Swinimer sidestepped the question. "They're different chips for different platforms and different uses. I don't think it's a fair comparison to put them on a chart [to analyze]. That's not what it's all about... I think if you focus on the capabilities that the chip will have for the average consumer, with the amazement and wow factor, I think that's the value that we bring."

Source: GameDaily

hmmm well this is interesting to read. either way u look at it nintendo have something up their sleeves. now to play the waiting game... again...

I really do hope the Wii is capable of great graphics, not just a GameCube 1.5.

If it's true then wonderful, but i'm not raising my expectations.

I'm sure this is true. First of all, the games at E3 where running at Cube kits. And the first gen of games seldom (read never) use the consoles full potential.

Hmmmm, if it's a given that first gen games do not touch on true potential (yes that is in fact true) why would ATi come out and give this statment? Is it because they think the games showed don't do the GPU justice?

Hmmmm, if it's a given that first gen games do not touch on true potential (yes that is in fact true) why would ATi come out and give this statment? Is it because they think the games showed don't do the GPU justice?

Well they also can't just say "Yeah it took as 3 years to make the GPU smaller and thats it" - you know as long as ATI stays in competition with NVIDIA they have to show why they are better.

But I guess he is right - there is still some power under the hood which is currently unused for whatever reasons.

I'm sure this is true. First of all, the games at E3 where running at Cube kits. And the first gen of games seldom (read never) use the consoles full potential.

Apart from first generation Cube games.

In my opinion theres never been a game as good looking on launch day as Luigi's Mansion was.

Luigi's Mansion - Excellent Lighting, still some of the best lighting effects of any game, purchased this game without hesitation as I am a "Luigi Fan" but to go back on topic, Hopefully this is true, so we can see some great visuals that will appeal to the gamers that will automatically not purchase a Wii because of its "poor" graphics.

Interesting...

Anyone else remember the thing on Gamespot about the Wii having DirectX 10...

..whether a reasonable idea or not, I feel that maybe the reason Nintendo hasn't (if it hasn't) shown any games with really great graphics at E3 (though Super Mario Galaxy wasn't bad.. at all :P) is that although the Wii may be able to produce much better, it still won't quite reach PS3 or XBOX 360 in terms of looks.. and I don't think Nintendo wanted people to walk in and compare all machines based on their graphical qualities, so they focused on how the games played and everything else to try and distinguish itself from the crowd..

..don't think I explained myself very well there.. but anyway..

Just like how the graphics seen in current PS3/360 games are just the "tip of the iceberg". Hardware doesnt really get pushed to its limits by games released in the first year of the consoles release.

I don't think so, they're more or less as good as they're going to get with PS3, I think it's more, "We've seen the bottom of the iceberg"

We've already seen near to life graphics with it, and I REALLY doubt they could be getting that much better, otherwise it'd start turning into Disney/Pixar film quality during gameplay and your games would end up costing £100.

Its OBVIOUS we didn't seen the Wii's potential at E3 because they were running of Gamecube's. The whole focus was not on graphics unlike other companies and so it was like a test to see if when people were playing they forgot about graphics and just enjoyed the game.

There is only a certain amount of times you can say WOW look at those graphics.

In my opinion theres never been a game as good looking on launch day as Luigi's Mansion was.

Well IMO rogue leader comes close. But then again, I can't remember if it was a launch game or not...

I just want wii to play @ solid 60fps. I don't need über graphics as I'm going to build a kick-ass gaming pc next fall :yay:

Well IMO rogue leader comes close. But then again, I can't remember if it was a launch game or not...

I just want wii to play @ solid 60fps. I don't need über graphics as I'm going to build a kick-ass gaming pc next fall :yay:

You mean rather than paying for 60 extra fps that your eyes wont notice with the PS3 :heh: and that can't even be used yet

True true. And Star wars rouge leader (which came soon after release) is still one of the best looking cube games.

True true. And Star wars rouge leader (which came soon after release) is still one of the best looking cube games.

Im waiting for 4.

It would own in 1st person.

Use the force with the nunchuck and lightsaber with the wiimote.

I'd buy it.

COME ON LUCAS!

Nice to read that statement,hopefully this will calm down every one about the graphics for now.Good find :)

You mean rather than paying for 60 extra fps that your eyes wont notice with the PS3 :heh: and that can't even be used yet

Well the main reason for building a good gaming pc for me is that I don't want to upgrade it for the next 3 years. I mean I bought this PC three years ago, and only upgrades it has gotten is a new hard drive + 512Mb memory. Well actually I had to buy a new Mobo+cpu as the previous one broke...

I got Star Was Rogue Leader at launch.....

Some guy over at the IGN boards made/copied a massive post saying that ATI and IBM aren't actually making the stuff anymore but something else that will make the Wii look better than anything that Microsoft/Sony could make in 3 generations time because they've patented it so much, obviously talking shit, but an interesting read. He seems to have some credible stuff at first, like Space World for example, but then goes right into the land of make believe.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/118871211/p1/?37

As expected. I'm amazed that you ppl thought that it has been in development for years and would be just a little better than GC.

As expected. I'm amazed that you ppl thought that it has been in development for years and would be just a little better than GC.

It's entirely possible, it all depends on what Nintendo wanted ATI to make.