NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Demuwan

Got a HD-TV now what?

I've just got a brand new HD-TV and its awesome. However I havent yet used the HD yet because I don't have anything to utilise it. I really can't see the picture on this thing getting any better because its stunning.

Other than SKY HD (tooo expensive) and an XBOX 360 (tooo crap) are there any other reasons to own a HD-TV.

All the Electronics mags have been saying HD is upon us. It doesn't look that way to me.

When will the BBC and others offer free HD. That is when it will truly be upon us.

PS: Do I need a HDMI wire ??

Im so confused about all this.

The BBC are trialling free HD broadcasts, but to get them you need a HD reciever such as Sky's one, which costs £300... If you fancy getting Sky's HD channels as well, it'll cost you £10 per month, but you'll only get Sky Sports HD or Sky Movies HD if you subscribe to those packages as well...

So getting HD is still way too expensive if you ask me, but your HDTV will be a good investment as hopefully it'll come down in price soon enough and eventually become standard. But right now, save yourself some cash and don't believe the hype. HD is very pretty and everything, but it's not the life changing experience the likes of SKy make it out to be.

You could get an upscaling dvd player. They nicely upsize the pic to HD but it's not really HD, it's just a nice upsizing algorithm that imitates HD.

If you don't want Sky HD (i just got it installed today - the detail is amazing, but theres only arount 10 channels at the moment), you will have to wait for a HD freeview box to come out.

Other than that there will be HD-DVD (even more expensive than Sky HD), and Blu-Ray (more expensive than HD-DVD - cheapest thing so far that plays Blu Ray is £425). On top of that, you still need to buy the movies and a decent HDMI lead.

One thing that may work is getting your hands on HD tv shows via the internet, putting one show on a DVD/SD card (if your TV takes them) in mpeg4 (i think) format and playing those.

But i'm not sure it will work.

I recon that 2008 will be the year for HD, when the disk format is decided.

Yeah, SkyHD is a joke.

10 pound extra a month, and if you want sky+, im not even going into it. So stupid

Yeah, SkyHD is a joke.

10 pound extra a month, and if you want sky+, im not even going into it. So stupid

I agree. I still can't believe my step dad spending that much on something thats spends 80% of its time on CeBeBies (the TV must be on the channels HIS kids want). Lets see...we are paying for normal Sky, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Sky + and Sky HD. Oh, and we have HDD/DVD recorder for when Sky + gets filled.

Buy an Xbox 360, if you think it's "tooo crap" then stop playing videogames.

connect your PC to it like I did ^^

Nrd3.jpg

The quality is amazing. And you can watch DVD's upscaled or even HDtv video files if you have.

why do you have your 360 games laid in front of your keyboard? it must be pretty uncomfortable to type...

Buy an Xbox 360, if you think it's "tooo crap" then stop playing videogames.

that was a joke, a poor one, but one nonetheless

(but seriously it doesn't appeal to me unless you can convince me other wise ;-)

HD is too expensive for me !

Nintendo were right!

just a quick question if i was going to buy a HD TV i would also need to buy some sort of reciever to experience watching programmes in HD and not gain any viewing difference without it (i.e. with my normal freeview box)

just a quick question if i was going to buy a HD TV i would also need to buy some sort of reciever to experience watching programmes in HD and not gain any viewing difference without it (i.e. with my normal freeview box)

I think so!

However my TV has built in Freeview could it be HD-freeview!

Shame freeview isn't in HD yet....

It may be if it came built in.

I think he means they don't even broadcast in HD yet over freeview.

I think he means they don't even broadcast in HD yet over freeview.

OH OK Then HD is pointless in 2006.

i really want a hd tv ive seen one for £499.99 in argos, everyones probably seen it its in the catalogue. does anyone know if its any good, i mean how much better can another be, its got a pc input. hd ready and i dont know what else, but i want a hdtv for both those, pc and 360.

if this is all true about it becoming mainstream in a few years and them being cheaper i might hold out for one... what with the lite, wii and loads more crap coming out, ive never actually had any money. although i have finally paid off my 360 :D

i really want a hd tv ive seen one for £499.99 in argos, everyones probably seen it its in the catalogue. does anyone know if its any good, i mean how much better can another be, its got a pc input. hd ready and i dont know what else, but i want a hdtv for both those, pc and 360.

if this is all true about it becoming mainstream in a few years and them being cheaper i might hold out for one... what with the lite, wii and loads more crap coming out, ive never actually had any money. although i have finally paid off my 360 :D

My advice if your buying a TV is to see it first. That way you know what your paying for. Mine was well worth the £1700 it was love at first sight.

My advice if your buying a TV is to see it first. That way you know what your paying for. Mine was well worth the £1700 it was love at first sight.

could you post some pics up of it?

could you post some pics up of it?

soz dont have a digi-cam But its best to see these things in person especially for how expensive they are. you should pop down to Comet or Currys one day.

yeah, i do i just stare at some of them when im in there. however when im looking at them, sometimes the quality of the picture of HD tvs is worse than some other normal LCD one. maybe its the connection but it always mkes me wonder why they do that. why make the picture look crap if theyre trying to sell it...:wtf:

yeah, i do i just stare at some of them when im in there. however when im looking at them, sometimes the quality of the picture of HD tvs is worse than some other normal LCD one. maybe its the connection but it always mkes me wonder why they do that. why make the picture look crap if theyre trying to sell it...:wtf:

I know what you mean. Thats why I was so gobsmacked at th quality when I took it home. the reson they do thsi is beacause all the TV's come from the same feed as so to give you a fair way of judging which picture is better. I choose my TV cus it was head and shoulders clearer and crisper than the rest

why do you have your 360 games laid in front of your keyboard? it must be pretty uncomfortable to type...

When typing the keyboard is normaly in my lap. I just put it on the table for artistic purposes.

Im sure i read somewhere that the BBC are gonna start filming stuff in HD soon like Eastenders and drama's etc. Can't remember what date was stated tho ?

Sign in to follow this