NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ice9

Demos

I was thinking today while waiting for my Call Of Duty 2 demo to download, now Nintendo have switched to DVD, will we start getting demo disks with magazines?

Finally demos with a Nintendo console?

What do you think?

It would be nice to have access to more demos. Demo discs are almost the sole reason why OPM or OXM sell decent amounts every month. NOM on the other hand prefer to give us crap like inflatable nintendo characters. There is one small flaw in you observation though. We don't actually know that the Revolution uses DVD discs. We know it can play DVD movies, but they haven't said that the games will come on DVD roms similar to PS2 and Xbox. I highly doubt that they will be bog standard DVDs. Nintendo went with the mini CDs on the Gamecube to avoid piracy. They are likely to do the same with the Revolution. Though the Rev will use 12cm discs as opposed to the 8cm ones used in the Cube, they are most likely going to be proprietry discs that can only be used on the Rev and are made in special factories. However, I wouldn't rule out demos, as the Revolution download service is likely to allow the download of demos straight to the console without having to buy the crappy magazine with it.

I think its far more likely Nintendo would opt for a WiFi Connection download for demos. They'll be short demos (which does without saying) and therefore should fit on the Flash Memory. It saves on mastering disks anyway.

Nintendo arent that keen on demos tho, bear that in mind. Although third parties may take the opportunity.

I would have to say that the only thing that worries me about demos is the memory on the Revolution. This application would be fairly staight-forward on the Xbox 360 as it has a 20GB HDD to save demos on. The Revolution's inbuilt 512MB is a bit laughable in comparrison. I mean, my USB memory key store 1GB, and it's tiny. I also got it for only £40 which is still way more than the same amount would cost if it was built into the Revolution. I really do hope that the Rev can have an HDD attachment somehow. Although many people would think it's pointless unless you're going to use it for media like Microsoft do, but you could have a reasonable amount of demos saved onto it. The only other option with lack of a HDD is for the actual memory to be used to store simple code, and then the console actually stream the demo from a server. The problem here is that it would be expensive and harder to maintain. It is a puzzling dilema. Unfortunately ther are still many little pieces left to solve in the Revolution puzzle. Hopefully some will be resolved soon. I hope that we get some this October when Nintendo spill the beans on wi-fi.

Nintendo always had this policy of not showing unfinished work. We had the Metroid Echoes demo, because the game was already on solid ground since Prime proved successful. On the other hand we're seeing lots of DS demos, so who knows? At least we'll get DS demos. One thing is for sure, lots of people don't buy games before they get to play them first, so some good demos with mags would help.

I mean, my USB memory key store 1GB, and it's tiny. I also got it for only £40 which is still way more than the same amount would cost if it was built into the Revolution.

the revolution has USB ports at the moment. I'm sure (official or not) new storage solutions will become available soon enough.

Sign in to follow this