NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

Potential Upgrade of Shabba-X

Now The Powerhouse that is Shabba-X has not been without it's drawbacks. In about the year I've owned it I've had numerous chkdsk problems and formatted more times than I can count. It mainly seems to be a Hard Drive problem, but I thought since I plan on buying a new HD, which might be this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/89515

Mainly to store Windows, the HD I have now as a secondary one. Meaning there shouldn't be the same problems I'm facing now if it's just to store.. for example music, aye?

Here's the current speccage:

- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice CPU

- AMD approved cooler

- Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra PCI-Express Motherboard

- GeIL 1GB Value (2x512MB) DDR PC3200 CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit

- 160GB Western Digital Serial ATA-2 8mb Cache Hard Drive

- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card

- NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

- Onboard 6 Channel Audio

Maybe the graphics card can be changed but I don't know what to, however I'm thinking the Ram can stay the same...

any suggestions?

I'm not surprised you are having problems with a WD, I use them at home and they are great, but at work we have lots of problems with them. I have always used the caviar range though. I would probably avoid Maxter drives, go for Seagate or another WD from the Caviar range. Have another look at sizes too, you can probably get another 100Gb for £5.

You have a well spec'd machine, how many RAM slots have you got? 4? Another gig of RAM would be ok, but I wouldn't have thought necessary.

I can't advise on a graphics card, I still use a 9800 pro, but all I do on my computer is play WoW.

If you get that chkdsk error again, give me a shout, I know a solution that will probably fix it (sadly not prevent it).

How does this one grab ye?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=345218

What does your chkdsk solution involve? I'm surprised I've gotten this long without it popping it's head up again, here's my latest starting up problem I copied from another forum:

Once more a restart after the latest Windows Update, fan-fucking-tastic.

When it starts up it goes to the "Windows didn't shut down properly" thingy, with choices of safe mode and the rest. No matter which one I choose it comes back full circle to this screen.

Now a friend suggested a fresh XP install, not quite a format, which seems to have worked, with a few niggles. Slimbrowser isn't my default IE anymore, nor do I have any Media player controls when I minimize it and it sticks to the bottom right corner... weird. There comes a point where one becomes reluctant to restart their computer because there's a chance he'll have to format. Again.

:(

Anytime you get problems like that with that frequency, you should alwasy run the diagnotic tools in advanced from the HDD manufature. Some have to boot from disk, or you can just get the ultiment boot CD which has everything in a nice package.

If nothing, you shuld be suspicious of the IDE cable, Driver and finally the IDE/ATA controller. Nfore4 has been know to have some HDD data corruption problems, I suggest you cross reference your motherboard on google to see if it has croped up elsewhere. With IDE, one bad or crappy device can screw up the entire system and place it in a condition I call "miserable".

I would buy that instead of the Maxtor for sure!

What does your chkdsk solution involve?

You boot into your Windows XP CD, then select to install Windows, but it tells you that it is already installed and gives you the option to run a repair on it. This is different to the repair console options, it fix's things like the MBR (master boot record) and important stuff like that. From my experience it has about an 80% of fixing problems that you might think need a re-format.

I would expect that to fix your eternal loop problem.

EDIT - Also make sure you have this checked (right click start bar), should fix your media player problem:

mediaplayer.JPG

Sign in to follow this