NEurope
Kotey

Wii Price: Whose side is Matt on anyway?

I don't understand why there is a big debate about this.

Hardcore gamers know the specs and will buy whichever system they are 'allied' to, regardless of price.

Casual gamers don't know specs and will be swayed first by brand image (Playstation is 'cool') and second by price.

Nintendo can do very little about brand image, but they have already ensured they have the cheapest console. Sorted.

Wow! My friends 360 has HD-DVD? Duh...

Don't really care what Matt has to say anymore. His opinion comes from a perspective that is totally unlike mine so it's completely invalid. Not to mention that he has been blending opinion with fact quite a lot lately.

First off xbox 360's are compatible with an hddvd drive you can install.

Matts opinion dosn't even come from his own perspecvtive. He is a Nintendo fan and writing so as a person who wants to see Nintendo succeed.

Lastly what the hell is an opinion if you dont have facts to back it up.

Guess work.

Matts opinion dosn't even come from his own perspecvtive. He is a Nintendo fan and writing so as a person who wants to see Nintendo succeed.

Also I don't really understand what you're saying here....

Also I don't really understand what you're saying here....

I am saying that he isn't conerned about wether or not a hardcore gamer will buy the system, he is simply trying to convince that in order to get "new" gamers it must be at an affordable(and fair) price.

if it wants to appeal to non gamers it needs to be pricedat between £0-50, all it basically is a dvd player as the games at first won't actually appeal to non gamers.

if it wants to appeal to non gamers it needs to be pricedat between £0-50, all it basically is a dvd player as the games at first won't actually appeal to non gamers.

You have a very limited view on what Nintendo's trying to do. They try to get non gamers gaming, not try to make them watch DVDs on the Wii. What a ridiculous thought really. You make it sound as though non gamers are unwilling to play games, which they aren't, but they need the right games/gameplay to get them gaming.

People who say that the Wii is just a GameCube with some pheripal are complete idiots, besides that, as a launch price, €200 wouldn't be too bad for a new console.

People also forget inflation. Inflation is the single biggest factor influencing sales of goods and services in the world today.

If at present we are buying GC games for €50-€60 I would expect to pay the same for the next console - at least!

Man, that's one of the sillyest things I've ever heard. You silly boy you.

I agree with Matt in regards to the Wii price point, I've talked to a number of mates of mine in Australia and have talked to them about the expensive $1,000 price of the deluxe PS3 and they say "SO"? They don't care for the price. Consumers are willing to pay for the more superior product, well so it seems to the playstation fans and ordinary consumers as there is no way in hell I am purchasing a PS3, I don't have a good track record with Sony products i've purchased, most recently a phone with defective pixels, NEVER AGAIN! and with whats been shown so far with Wii, anything over $199 US would be too expensive and would deprive Nintendo of much needed sales.

We have yet to see what Wii can do Graphiclly.

$ 250 is not to high.

And ofcourse it will sell better if it's cheaper.. but Nintedo want proffit. Like every other company.

I agree about the thing of the 360 Core package being only $50 cheaper. However, $250 is nothing for a console, and not everything has been revealed yet.

Considering what we know, I think he's absolutely right. It's pretty amusing seeing people here commenting on "the nerve" of the guy, or how this time he's "gone too far" too far for what? To be accepted back into the fold of rabid Nintendo fanboys? The guy is speaking his opinion on the matter, and I think he's one of the only people who's made a level headed analysis of the launch price, I don't want to pay more than I did for a Gamecube on launch, for essentially, a slight expansion of the same hardware with a few bells and whistles attatched. I mean c'mon, I think some of you are going out of your way to validate the price point of the Wii, but the majority of people who buy a Wii aren't hardcore Ninty fanboys, such as the denizens of the Revo-europe forums, they're going to be your average Joe, who remembers that the N64 launched for $199...and how cool it Zelda was back in the day...noone want's to buy an underpowered console for more than the cost of the sum of it's parts, including me, expecially when there's really not all that much showing us what the controller can really be used for...

I don't think we'll be paying much more than the GameCube, which I'll add was RIDICULOUSLY cheap at launch. It still didn't really help it in the long run, but so long as games aren't tagged up at the anger-elicting £50 we're seeing 360 games at, I'm happy. £30-40 is my sweet spot for games.

Fuck, I missed the SECOND England goal now posting on this goddamned forum. Screw this. :(

people are forgetting that wii is next gen and is new technology, it just seems old when compared to ps3/360).

First i'll just say that is your version of "old". To me the wii-mote seems a real innovation and logical step that make ps3 and xbox360 seem old.

Anyway, i think the whole rant is stupid. It is a rant based on assumptions of the price, when is actualy has no idea what the final price will be. I agree with him that amoung many things the price needs to be low to attract non-gamers.

I think a few things to bare in mind are that non-gamers, even most gamers (me included) are not that knowledgable about the technology inside the consoles, they just know if something looks good and red steel and mario galaxy look fantastic.

Finally, i'd like to point out that for people in the know about the technology inside xbox360 and ps3, they will seem like value for money because microsoft and sony typically sell their consoles at a loss (made back through games). Nintendo seems to be the only games company that cares about making some profit on the sale of the system.

Actually to defend this guy, i can kinda see where he is coming from. I have often showed my DS to people, they've been a bit interested and asked me the price. When i've said i've paid £100, they look a bit shocked. Obviously £50 is an unrealistic price, so its also about shaping attitudes nongamers have toward gaming.

This "Matt" retard clearly has been forced into liking the controller, but still can't quite comprehend next gen without uber-l33t gr4ff!X. So he will never truely accept it as next gen i'm guessing.

I lost respect for that dude after that for some reason. It was just the same when Nintendo announced that it would be called Wii. He's just a bit negative. He doesn't seem to have much faith in Nintendo. They know what they are doing on pricing. We know nothing about the launch and what comes with the system yet, but the initial shipment is likely to sell-out to Nintendo's core gamers.

Nintendo don't really need to go after the non-gamer until after a few months when they start getting more of their non-games out. Anyway, Nintendo only said it will be less than $250, so they must still be keeping their options open as to what's going to be included in the system.

We'll all be singing Nintendo's praises come launch of the system.

Actually, he was the only one I can remember that defended the name and said it didn't matter what it was as long as the games were good. But it's to be expected that when someone becomes somewhat of a celebrity and puts his opinion out there it becomes cool to hate him...

Quoted from IGN podcast:

'Well if you offered me a HD-TV, with a PS3 and a bounty of games, and a Wii with Mario...I'd pick Mario everytime; I wouldn't have to hesitate in my decision. For me, it's no decision at all.'

Remember guys, this guy LOVES the Wii, he loves Nintendo and he wants them to do very well. He's just saying that $250 is too much for Nintendo to hit mainstream.

Nintendo are selling the GC at $99, a price in which they make lots of profit (even though it doesn't really sell). He's just trying to say that $250 is too much for a console that is only 2 times (roughly) more powerful than 5 year old tech.

I agree with him. So far Wii is a Gamecube with a new controller. We don't know yet about the real horsepower but the first batch of games indicate that they are in the range of the Gamecube.

149.90€ would be a attractive price tag - I will only pay 200€ at launch if the bundle has more than one controller + addon.

PS3 price seems hight but the research Sony and IBM but into it is tremendous. RAM, Cell, Bluray, ... those things are expensive - so far I can't think of anything which is expensive in the Wii.

how can u look at super mario galaxy and say that it is a gamecube with a new controller?this is just the beginning many launch ps2 games looked like ps1 games etc.i think this whole gamecube with a new controller crap started with zelda being on both consoles(which to this day i still cant understand)

Man, that's one of the sillyest things I've ever heard. You silly boy you.

Well lets see, non-gamers people who have never gamed don't see the point in it or look at watching a movie in a similiar fashion. Thus modern cheap normal dvd player I have seen as low as £50. Howver I have heard on the rumour grapevine that one Wii may be free when you buy 4 1st party titles and sorta stuff.

Anyway I know hardly any non-gamers who actually want to game, DCK and Nintendo should first hype up the fact that its a dvd player -> then cheap internet suffer tool for other members of the family-> then target games.

Anyway I know hardly any non-gamers who actually want to game, DCK and Nintendo should first hype up the fact that its a dvd player -> then cheap internet suffer tool for other members of the family-> then target games.
What happened to the gamers that bought the 80+ million NESes? Most of them have become non gamers because the gaming market has narrowed down so much into complex, grim action games. People bought the NES because games were simple, fun and easy to understand, and Nintendo wants to recreate that with the Wii. That's the strategy, not 'hey look another DVD player' and then indoctrinate people with games. I've never heard such a bad strategy really, you don't get buyers by stressing an add-on.

It's quite typical for you to place all the people in non gamer group into people who will never play games, a group you will have to 'convince' by stressing the DVD player part. It isn't that easy. Sure there are people who simply don't enjoy playing, but there are just as much people who actually enjoy playing games but just don't get the games for it. That's Nintendo's Blue Ocean.

Basically, Matt is doing the same thing the great "Eric Mattei" used to do at Nintendojo.com

Eric would publish articles flaming Nintendo and he did it because he knew very well the response he would get. Matt is just doing the same thing. It's all about getting people to visit your website and keep the controversy flame alive.

Most website writers should do the same! Get's more people to sign in and become members! ;)

And non-gamers will go for the Wii based on the price alone, even if it ends up being $250. End of story.(oh, and we were all non-gamers at one time, so shush with the "non-gamers don't play videogames", crap. There is always a first time).

This conversation is useless. I keep saying what i'll do when it gets released.. The fact is though that i will take it after all no matter the cost and there many people that thinks the same. The idea alone that i will play Zelda and Metroid in the way E3 showed makes me want it so much that i'll buy it even if it is half a thousand Euros

Off topic: Anakenobi your signature is full of people talking crazy hehe

i usta think $250 wasnt going to be much for the Wii at all but then i compare it to the Xbox 360 which has better graphics and all that technical stuff dual core and what not and its not that much more expensive... im still buying the Wii though