NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EchoDesiato

Yellow SNES

I've been trying to collect all the Nintendo consoles, and now I got me a SNES packaged with Donkey Kong Country off of eBay. Whilst unpacking it I noticed that part of the console had this urine-yellow colour. It looks really ugly. On the package the SNES looks entirely grey. So the plastic on the SNES must've turned yellow over time somehow. It can't be because it used to be in a smoker's house, because only part has been tanned. Does anyone know how it got this way and how to get rid of the ugly yellow colour again?

Snes and Nes are known to yellow over time, sorry but I dont think you can get the yellow colour out of it. You just have to live with it i guess, if it still plays games you should have nothing to complain about :p

My NES is still the colour it came in the good old sexay grey, it depends how its stored I think.

My SNES has a yellow front panel - you know that one with the logo on it? That's bright yellow on mine, whereas the rest of the unit is a nice grey. My NES is fine, though.

You *could* get your SNES resprayed if you can find someone who still does it. They take the covers off and give them a new look, before putting them back on. I remember the same people did chrome N64 reprays back in the late 90's too.

My SNES is still grey. Some of the grey panels around the side have gone a different shade of grey but not yellow.

My SNES has turned at bit of a greeny/grey/yellowy colour over the years. I 'spore its just the outside casing being oxidised slowly. It doesn't really matter, the games work perfectly well. I'm never going to sell it, so it doesn't have to be in perfect condition any way.

Donkey Kong carts were famously yellow. Pretend it was meant to be that way. Maybe write "LTD ED IN YELLOW!!" on the box, see if anyone buys it.

I guess it doesn't really matter, like you said as long as it plays games it's good. And Shorty, why would I try to sell my SNES? I just bought it.

yes yellowing is quite common in SNES's.

apparently its something to do with the plastic nintendo used which just reacts with air overtime and turns yellow & when nintendo realised what happened they changed the material, so all in all it means you have a SNES from the first year or two batch.... im not sure if there is a real way of getting rid of the yellowing but maybe some sort of chemical cleaning stuff..?

Its the same here...the process was hastened cause my mom and stepdad both smoke(d) during my SNES playing years...which basically lasted till I moved outta there n_n.

Hmm but we're talking quite some years here, what colour will it have in 10 years? 0_0 Maybe it will turn to gold...

T_T

I've got a beautiful grey SNES.

Selling all my Nintendo consoles (I have them all)

So if anyone is interested in a huge bulk purchase gimme a shout. :D

Hundreds and hundreds of boxed games as well :)

I got my SNES on launch day and it has indeed turned urine-yellow. Although my dad smokes he never smoked in my room. I always thought the yellowing was because of the sun beaming down on it though my window every day, which is why the underneath of it is still as grey as the day I got it.

My Dreamcast is started to get the same sort of colour as well.

I've got a beautiful grey SNES.

Selling all my Nintendo consoles (I have them all)

So if anyone is interested in a huge bulk purchase gimme a shout. :D

Hundreds and hundreds of boxed games as well :)

what why duder ?

My SNES has turned a little yellow too. I got it at the UK launch and I'm never going to sell it. It's my all time favourite console.

You could always dye it.

I'm thinking of dying it either black or hot pink.

It's fairly easy to do and cheap, but you need the right tools to open up the snes. Basically you bathe the snes in a mix of water and rit dye. I haven't dyed snes's before, but this method works very well on all kinds of plastic (except delrin/celcon, damnit!). You can up the intensity of the color by bathing it longer in the dye or by adding some acetone to the mix.

When you ad acetone be very carefull, as acetone actually hurts plastic. A too high dosage of acetone will screw whatever it was you were dying, as the plastic will not be firm anymore and bend in every possible way.

Sadly they trun yellow after a while, i am wanting to pick up a snes, i think i'll buy it from a shop so i can see it first.

Use something called "White Wizard" on it a great claneing agent shouldnt do any harm to the SNES or anything and great for getting old fag smoke off thigns etc, remebr tho! dont use to much water had keep the white wizard away from logos and stuff JUST to be safe.

Sign in to follow this