N-Europe

Opera Wii Interview

Charlie

At the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that its forthcoming Wii console would be able to access the Web with the Opera browser. Iwata said that the Wii console could, "… power up virtual console games and applications like our Opera Web browser saved to flash ROM… in just a few seconds."

We recently chatted with Opera for Devices' executive vice president, Scott Hedrick, about its partnership with Nintendo and what benefits the Web browser will bring to Wii users.

Full Story - http://uk.revolution.ign.com/articles/709/709705p1.html

Just read this. Thank god, it sounds like it's built in (but he could just be bending the truth if you look at it like that).

Shame he couldn't answer any of the questions about supported formats or anything about the actual capabilities at all for that matter. Still it's nice to see that Nintendo is making another strong partnership.

Out of ignorance: Can you openly surf with XboxLive or the PS3?

I wonder how long it'll take for scum bag virus makers to try and get viruses on your Wii?

*Already apologises, but can't resist it, sorry!!*

Nah, usually Wii infections involve bacteria, not viruses!! ;):hmm:

I'm not familiar with Opera, but any browser is a good browser, imo.

Opera is awesome. It's like Firefox with all the extensions preinstalled and a lot faster/more secure.

Edit - It will be an 'open network' XBL doesn't actually have a webbrowser, if it did there's nothing to stop it accessing the internet. You'll be able to go on any page you want. It accepts W3C

That Opera browser seems to be very good but besides Wii related content and flashgames I don't quite get what use it could be to be able to surf the web in 640*480 without a keyboard in the livingroom when the PC is only a few rooms away.

That Opera browser seems to be very good but besides Wii related content and flashgames I don't quite get what use it could be to be able to surf the web in 640*480 without a keyboard in the livingroom when the PC is only a few rooms away.

Where did they say its 640*480? And not everyone (ie. me) has a computer next to the games consoles...

from what I saw of the PS3 interface on a vid, it will have internet browsing.

Maybe also could opera not form the basis for the Wii's online interface? With WiiConnect24 meaning the internet for Wii is always on, could the online tracking of friends etc not be done using the web browser instead of an xbox live type interface. It would also provide the ability to update users with info about new games, new demo's etc. the new everyday thing ninty were going on about.

Widescreen is 853x480, so that makes web pages designed for a resolution of 800x600 like Revo-Europe and a big part of the rest of the internet to be presented like they're designed, if you have a widescreen TV.

I wonder how they'll fix the keyboard problem. Maybe a small pad that connects to the Wiimote?

Opera is awesome. It's like Firefox with all the extensions preinstalled and a lot faster/more secure.

Edit - It will be an 'open network' XBL doesn't actually have a webbrowser, if it did there's nothing to stop it accessing the internet. You'll be able to go on any page you want. It accepts W3C

Couldn't agree more with you. I have had Opera for a while now, I think it beats Firefox and IE. When I open the browser, I have an E-mail client ( opera has it's own twist on its e-m client) and a IRC client and the fantastic secure web browsing. Well, I could not live without my Opera!

I have allways been a fan of both Nintendo and Opera, seeing them join into one machine is just unbelivaible (did I spell that right?) :bowdown::bouncy:

Imbedded most likely...

And viruses won't be a problem most probably... using connect24 a machine could notify Nintendo when it is infected with a virus and within hours fixes could be dispatched to every machine on the network.

I'm getting the feeling that the Wii is going to have a hard drive you know... I dunno why but I'm getting that feeling of a 2/4GB HDD.