NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Your favourite Arcade games

What were some of your favourite arcade games you used to play all those years ago? What games had you slotting in 50p after 50p just to have another go against some almost impossible boss or level?

Some of my favourites where:

Teenage mutant Ninja/hero turtles.

arcademousers0cc.gif

A scrolling beat’em up based of the great cartoon of the 80’s made by Konami. I remember the first level very well because you had to rescue April ‘o neil from a burning building. I’m still impressed at the animation from the weird drill type thing Bebop appears from and how many of the characters they put into the game. Bebop, Rocksteady and shredder all looked like they had came off the TV show. Also nothing beat hearing the theme tune being played from the machine.

WWF: Wrestlefest.

arcade0201090tb.png

I still remember when I first saw this at a kebab shop near my house. It looked so damn good and I loved wrestling back then so me and a friend just had to play it. It was impossibly hard though (or at least it was at that kebab place) but watching Hulk Hogan do the leg drop on mr perfect was just such a cool thing to see. You could play Royal rumble or Saturday night main even which was a sort of tag team tourney for the tag belts.

The Simpsons arcade.

Another walk along beat em up from Konami. Konami really knew how to use a licence, almost every character from series one of the simposn was in this game. You could be Bart, Homer Marge or Lisa and you had to rescue Maggie from Mr burns and smithers.

simpsonsarcadescreenshot4xi.png

well im older than most here, but here are some of the game I use many many Kroner's on.

digd00002uq.png

kangaroo7jo.th.gif

moonpatrol7sq.gif

Wonder Boy

[ATTACH]388[/ATTACH]

& Kung Fu Master.

[ATTACH]389[/ATTACH]

I've been playing in arcades from the days of Metal Slug 3, but I have NEVER played anything that has got me as addicted as Crazy Taxi.

Point Blank, Time Crisis.

I get good at them on Ps1, then play them good in the arcades, top score on point blank feels good

Simpsons arcade was amazing. Also enjoyed the time crisis games.

PS Mario kart arcade is well good as well

Wonderboy was fantastic. I spent alot of my money in Cyprus playing that game at the hotel.

Helmsly you have just picked 3 of my favourites for me! Also I loved playing Captain Commando and Final Fight. Those 2 games (aswell as Streetfighter ) took most my money when I was a kid.

What were some of your favourite arcade games you used to play all those years ago? What games had you slotting in 50p after 50p just to have another go against some almost impossible boss or level?

Some of my favourites where:

Teenage mutant Ninja/hero turtles.

arcademousers0cc.gif

A scrolling beat’em up based of the great cartoon of the 80’s made by Konami. I remember the first level very well because you had to rescue April ‘o neil from a burning building. I’m still impressed at the animation from the weird drill type thing Bebop appears from and how many of the characters they put into the game. Bebop, Rocksteady and shredder all looked like they had came off the TV show. Also nothing beat hearing the theme tune being played from the machine.

i loved this game

the simpsons arcade game was the best. there used to be a machine of it in Newport "inshops" where me and bro used to play it nearly every week :).

loved being homer or marge with her trusty...hoover wtf

Completed it on holiday didnt cost to much then.

Crazy Taxi

Dynamite Cop /Dynamite Deka (never really played the arcae version, but I played the DC port)

Hmm. Here in The Netherlands, Arcade machines are just fables, like elves and unicorns (gnomes however, live in trees here).

So my experience with them is very limited.. Playing fighters was always cool though. I played StreetFighter a very long time ago, and fought my brother with Tekken and StreetFighter 3, on the very few instances we encountered arcade machines in our lives.

I don't have many to choose from, but my favourite is absolutely without a doubt Asterix & Obelix. It's also a beat 'm up, in the style of Turltles posted above. Obelix had very cool moves, enemies were cool, and playing with 2 players was amazing (as always is with these sorts of games).

I didn't get very far, but the first boss was a very cool small legion of Roman soldiers.

If I have the money, and I can find the machine, I'll buy it straight away.

Most of my arcade game experiences are from Dreamcast. I've never played a game more than I've played Crazy Taxi. I must have wasted hours and hours playing it.

I also love Sega Rally 2, even if it is quite hard. Soul Calibur's an arcade game isn't it? Obviously that has to be in this thread if so.

Loads of good ones mentioned (Simpsons, TMNT, Wonderboy etc). Remember getting mates from school so 4 of us could pick up the car at the start and try out all the tag-team moves on the Simpsons.

Anyway, also loved Sunset Riders

wSunset_Riders.png

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

dino.gif

Ratsan

rastan.png

Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon, Ghosts and Goblins, Rampage... too many to name!

Great choices here already I thought I’d add a couple more:

X-men Arcade game.

Another scolling beat’em up. I didn’t read Xmen as a kid but this was a lot of fun to play with a friend. Best part for me was when a boss walked onto the screen and started announcing how they where going to destroy you” you could sharply interrupt them with a punch in the face sending them flying. Excellent.

xmenarcadescreenshot9ag.pngxmenarcadebig0mx.jpg

Aliens vs Predator arcade:

Released by Capcom back in 1994. This really was great, you could pick from 2 human characters Major Dutch Schaefer or Lieutenant Linn Kurosawa and two Predator characters in a walk along beat em up against the Aliens. I remember this being very difficult, I never got past level 3 and chances are that was mostly down to putting in far too much money.

avplevel223cj.jpg

Helmsly i have to agree with you, that alien vs predator game is awesome. Its very difficult, i did co-op in Ibiza with a girl that i met and we reached the end, that game is a bitch!

Wonderboy was so much fun plus this!

1810.jpg

for 2 player co-op it really can't be beat and it must have been one of the first

Have to say thanks to Bluestar, I must of been living under a rock or something but I'd never heard of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs until I read his post, now I've played it and would like to add it as one of my favourties. Pure 80's arcade fun.

Mortal Kombat 2:

arcade300680004lo4.pngarcade300680005wn7.png

I remember when this first came out, one of the first few arcades in the country happned to be in a arcade in Croydon 9where I live) and Gamesworld did a special on it and Big boy barry came down to play it. I hate to think how mucn money I put into this game but it was great trying to find out fatalitys and moves those first few weeks

Jurrasic Park The Lost world:

xlostworldjurassicparkthehq2.th.jpgminicabinetphpfi1246dx8.jpg

Made by Sega, I got to play it at Sega world in London 10 years ago. It was a light gun game and a lot of fun but also expensive.One of the reasons I brought the Dreamcast was because I thought it would be a given it would ge a Dreamcast release.

Sign in to follow this