NEurope
british lad

Brutal fight scenes in films

Rare is the day you see a fight in cinema that actually feels and looks like a fight.

Watching Braveheart ( I just had to get the soundtrack just for the cavalry charge!), some of the most blood thirsty and cinematically awe inspiring camera work can be found in the most bizarre of places sometimes. The film when looked on in its entirety is just a mess. A historical mess set in Scotland, filmed in Ireland and stars an Australian trying to affect an accent he just wasn’t designed for but the fights by god! Sheer and utter brilliance. From the first scrap in the village after his girl is killed by the English lord to the slow motion before the heavy cavalry crash into the Scottish lines at Stirling and then the mania that ensues afterwards, the film captures it all. God help me but I love this film so!

The combination is perfect - the music, the camera, the editing (the film win an award for), the acting and even the look of it is just bloody astounding.

So my question to you is, What do you rate as the best ever brutal fight scene to be portrayed on the screen?

I though the scene on saving private ryan, has to be one of the best; the d-day beach assault, showed the horrors of war, while still showing themes of courage of bravery.

I also like the helocopter asuslt on apocapyse now, the music is just brillant, and the hole scene is done so well, it is able to juggle an almost comical, yet rather brutaul portral of modern warfare.

Ah, fight as in battles. When I first saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was the bathroom scene in Scum.

The battles in Band of Brothers seemed pretty realistic (apart from the fact Americans do all the fighting), but never having been shot at by Nazis I'm not in a position to say.

american history X, not really a fight, but the beginning, BITE THE KERB, thats pretty brutal

Have you guys seen Oldboy?

that has some *vicious* fighting in it. There's one scene in particular that pits the main character with a hammer in his hand against about 20 guys in a corridor. It's amazing.

Agreed Fatrox. Ong Bak, quality martial arts film with moments where you just go, Owwwwwwwwww!!

Have you guys seen Oldboy?

that has some *vicious* fighting in it. There's one scene in particular that pits the main character with a hammer in his hand against about 20 guys in a corridor. It's amazing.

I thought the one near the beginning was quite cool. Y'know, "Can 15 years of imaginary training come to use?...Apparantly so" or something like that.

But my vote goes to more or less between La Motta and Sugar Ray in Raging Bull. There was some brutal punches thrown there.

Fight club has some pretty nasty fight scenes in it (I missed the ending though, something else came on), but other wise it's a good film, in a weird sort of way.

Edit: Gladiator also has some fabo fight scences!

Oh yeah Oldboy for the win. And fight club fights were pretty great too.

Agreed Fatrox. Ong Bak, quality martial arts film with moments where you just go, Owwwwwwwwww!!

HUMLAEEEE

Ong bak is a fuckin beast, his super knee at the end, and wer he smashes a bike helmet with his forearm, he's solid lol.

History of Violence has some pretty brutal scenes of violence in.

Not really a 'fight' per se; but the 'fire extinguisher to head' death in irreversible is a scene I sometimes cannot stomach to watch.

The fighting in Cabin Fever was pretty short and sweet.

Screw driver in ear, yes. Impaled by sharp branch, yes.

Not really a 'fight' per se; but the 'fire extinguisher to head' death in irreversible is a scene I sometimes cannot stomach to watch.

I was going to mention that aswell, but thought many people wouldn't have heard of it or seen it. That scene prob takes the prize for most graphic piece of violence in a film ever I would say. It's so brutal that I'm careful to who I lend that film out to, and along with the rest of the film it's just too shocking.

I've been watching the Vengeance Trilogy, and just finished watching Oldboy tonight, and the hammer sequence definetly needs a mention here.

Just got Lady Vengeance to watch now, and if it's half as good as Oldboy then I cannot wait.

Fight Club, when Tyler beats himself up in front of his boss, that was gnarly- one of the best performances ever.

Also why it is in my top 5 films.

Oldboy is great and the fighting in Ong Bak - wow, just wow.

Almost forgot: Starship Troopers or anything from Paul Verhoeven (in mind: Robocop, Hollowman, Total Recall). Especially SST has this over the top violence that manages to shock because I think our society is too used to "normal" violence to be shocked by it.

I also like the brutality of the Punisher, it's so old school , not like todays actionmovies where hords of enemies are mowed down and everything explodes. He really takes his time to take them out one by one.

I thought the fights in matrix were realistic.

DAMN YOU, I was going to post the exact same thing :grin:

HUMLAEEEE

Ong bak is a fuckin beast, his super knee at the end, and wer he smashes a bike helmet with his forearm, he's solid lol.

Tony Jaa is a fricking legend, the chase scene when he's running and jumpin over everything, so fluid and great and he used no wires, and jumpin through the ring of barbed wire:shock: , amazing.

I loved the first time he's in the underground fight arena and knocks the guy out in one kick and they knee drop at the end, super!.

I can't wait for his next film "Tom-Yom-Gon"(sp?), can't believe they are actually gonna change the name for the western cinema release, "Warrior...something":angry: , who brought out Ong-Bak on dvd? Tartan? whoever it is i hope when it comes to the next one we can get it with the proper name intact

I was going to mention that aswell, but thought many people wouldn't have heard of it or seen it. That scene prob takes the prize for most graphic piece of violence in a film ever I would say. It's so brutal that I'm careful to who I lend that film out to, and along with the rest of the film it's just too shocking.

I've been watching the Vengeance Trilogy, and just finished watching Oldboy tonight, and the hammer sequence definetly needs a mention here.

Just got Lady Vengeance to watch now, and if it's half as good as Oldboy then I cannot wait.

Is it blood or cum?

Yes the film is very very graphic, the whole fire extinguisher to face is quite disgusting. i found the 20minute rape scene involving monica belluci and some horny heroin snorting french dude more shocking to be honest. it was done in 1 shot aswell, well a lot of the film was done in one shot, altho the dudes penis was cg.

I thought the fights in matrix were realistic.

In the first Matrix, the fight between Neo and Smith in the train station you felt like they were putting everything into it. All the agility was dropped and it came accross as simply trying to cause as much brutal damage to the opponent as possible.

Unfortunately the fights after that seemed plagued with an attempt to coat style in, or even worse, heavy CGI.

I've always found Marlon Brando's fall to the machette scene in Apocalyspe Now to be terrifyingly brutal yet... wonderfully beautiful. It's helped by the fact that The End by the Doors is played as the scene goes on.

The fight scenes in Galdiator are unsurpassed. Vicous, and as gory as hell. The opening battle sequence between the Germainians and The Romans is spectacular, drenched in blood, fire and tostesterone.