NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mario114

Analysts predict losses for sony

Analysts are predicitng the price of the ps3 will cause a nock on effect to developers, and that sony will lose some of it's market share, to microsoft and nintendo:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6151425.html

The latest firm to join the fray is DFC intelligence, which predicts the PS3's steep sticker price could cost it--and the game industry--dearly. "The higher priced the hardware, the lower overall industry growth will be," read a report the company issued this week. "The video game business model has been to build an installed base of tens of millions of users in a very short time frame. A key factor in this model is relatively low cost hardware... Unfortunately, there is a sinking feeling that things may have spun out of control for Sony and thus price cuts will be slow in coming."

Indeed, DFC says that the PS3's high price will make--or has already made--many consumers side with a next-gen rival. "With a $200 price difference now announced, consumers that were sitting on the fence can feel free to go buy an Xbox 360," read the report.

Along with the price, DFC reasons that the 360's stout software lineup will be another factor possibly causing consumers to shy away from the PS3. "In terms of game software it currently looks like the Xbox 360 will be able to match the PS3 punch-for-punch in the important genres like shooting, RPGs, racing, sports, Grand Theft Auto IV and others," asserts DFC. "Will Sony's brand name alone explain a $200 price difference to the gaming audience?"

While a shrinking Sony market share will be music to Microsoft and Nintendo's ears, DFC worries it might have have long-term negative impact on third-party publishers and developers. "Hardcore video junkies may go for the PS3's Blu-ray capabilities, as $600 is cheap for a new high-end technology like Blu-ray," said the report. "But if those guys are not buying game software, that does not do game publishers any good."

I dont usually listen to Analysts but he makes some very good points in terms of price and games. If only MGS4 would come out for the 360 then that would knock Sony down a peg or to as its the only game has generated a massive amount of buzz which is understandable.

wow I never thought of it like that. If $ony was to win over 360 and Wii because of the Tech-Geeks who want nothing but the best high end DVD players, then the game developers would be the ones to lose. Sad:(

that bloke gets paid for that?

i am in the wrong job. so what if people buy the PS3 as purely a blu-ray player? developers will soon switch to Micros£t and nintendo. Nintendo being cheaper to develope for.

Even though this guy predicts losses for Sony, you just know that the PS3 is gonna sell like hotcakes. I think they probably will suffer slightly, but they'll still end up top dog by the end of next gen. Trust me, its the brand name...

Thats what I think anyway.

Even though this guy predicts losses for Sony, you just know that the PS3 is gonna sell like hotcakes. I think they probably will suffer slightly, but they'll still end up top dog by the end of next gen. Trust me, its the brand name...

Thats what I think anyway.

The "Brand Name" has lost all credibility with all its lies and unkept promises.:heh:

Sign in to follow this