NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Schizoid Man

Donnie Darko (for those of you who have seen it)

Okay, I've seen it a couple of times, the website is a pain in the ass, and I can't be bothered with the IMDB forums. Does anyone want to explain what's going on in this brilliant, but baffling film. Why does the guy's dead-from-the-future mate prophesise about the end of the world to him in his party costume, and when the time comes, why does he go back to the start. I know he lets himself die to stop things from fucking up majorly with Gretchen, but ain't there more to it than that? :confused: Enlighten me, or just discuss this great film.

I've just noticed that you live in the town nearest to me, Schizoid. Weird.

Anyway, Replier's Impotence strikes — well, lands a glancing blow — again. All I'll say is that if you have the DVD on hand you should take the time to read 'The Philosophy of Time Travel'. I remember that explained a lot of my confusion away, although now I can't quite remember how.

He goes back to save the world, and Frank does the same thing, ie Frank goes back in time so that he won't be killed and so that Donnie can save the world. Frank is a "something specific"(It says what it's called in "The Philosophy of Time Travel") that helps Donnie(who is "something other specific", it again says what's it called in "The Philosophy of Time Travel") to save the world.

Or something, it was a very long time ago since I saw the movie(and the directors cut).

I didn't like it very much and gave away the DVD to someone that showed me their bottom crack.

I agree with Odwin, but I watched it on BBC2 and didn't have any involvement with the forementioned exhibitionist.

It's a sci-fi film as well remember (or so says the Director)... and with that, sadly.. a lot of the script is completely open to interpretation as their aren't ANY real answers for some of the questions raised. It's just meant to 'feck with your head abit'.

Great film though. Different and eerie.

Hey Aimless, that's cool, whereabouts do you live? I'm in shitty Yelland. Actually do you go ND College? *looks around in a frenzy*

Anyway, erm, where do I find this Philosophy of time travel book? I've only got the first release of the DVD which I snagged for a fiver, and I heard the director's cut sort of messed with it's greatness...So Frank travelled back in time, but how did he if he was already dead. The reasoning I've heard is that, in escaping death, Donnie creates a tangent universe in which he survives, which is apparently paradoxical enough to lead to the world's collapse in 28 days. Frank the rabbit, as an apparition, tells Donnie to do various destructive things that lead to the moment of Frank's death and Donnie's understanding - Burns down Patrick Swayze paedophile (brilliant!) house t reveal evidence -> irritating teacher rallies for him so can't go to Donnie's sisters dance off -> Mrs. Darko must go instead -> Donnie and sister throw a party -> Girlfriend gets ran over, Donnie shoots Frank. It probably goes back further than that but meesh.

I think its all about religion, Donnie is the second coming of christ, frank is god, gretchen is an angel so is the fat chinese girl (the scene of her in the white dress really makes me think that), Swayze is the devil. I could go on and on but you'll all think im nut and lock me up :p.

But watch the movie close and you'll see quite a few religious references or objects in the background.

Thats my 2 cents anyway, my mate thinks Donnie is a superhero lmao :p

I have the directors cut on DVD. It's a very interesting and a very good film. I've only seen it once and want to watch it again to see if I can get a better understanding on what it is all about.

Why does Frank bother getting Donnies out of bed instead of leaving him to die? Is it so that he can understand that he must die? To show him the reason for his death? :wtf:

I didn't like it very much and gave away the DVD to someone that showed me their bottom crack.

I wish I had the same thing to say but I watched it on my PC. Naturally I haven't deleted it, I keep everything live. I wasn't particularly impressed by this film however.

i have it on DVD and watched it a few times, i also saw it on the stella artois big screen tour in kensington park, london, was pretty good on that but the film still leaves me confused in places and i end up thinking what was the point in this eh?

It's a sci-fi film as well remember (or so says the Director)... and with that, sadly.. a lot of the script is completely open to interpretation as their aren't ANY real answers for some of the questions raised. It's just meant to 'feck with your head abit'.

Great film though. Different and eerie.

i agree with you for the most part.

Hey that is a great avatar EraZor ,didnt really like the game but the idea is absolutely fantastic,i love stuff like that!

Hey that is a great avatar ERaZer ,didnt really like the game but the idea is absolutely fantastic,i love stuff like that!

Yeah, I didn't like the game that much myself either, but I really liked the art and the art style.

One of my favourite scenes in Donnie Darko is when he torches the pedophiles house, I just love it :)

Can't really put my finger on why I like Donnie Darko as much as I do, but I like the whole feeling, the whole setting etc.

Sign in to follow this