NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
knightendo

Revolution and shelf space... an important issue...?

i was in GAME the other day and noticed that the DS has been shifted to the back of the shop in order to make way for the psp at the front. now i know all new hardware will always get placed at the front for a while, but the psp has twice the space the ds did as it had to share the space with the GBA...

now we all know that sony pays retailers ridiculous amounts of money to ensure they get more shelf space, and more predominant (spelling?) space where they're more easily seen. so what's gonna happen when the revo appears alongside the ps3? in my opinion the revo is truly the better of the two even without the tech-specs as of yet... it is the only truly "next-gen" machine after the announcement of the controller... but if sony opens its pockets will we see it thrown down the back of the shop too?

two questions then:

do you think sony pay these retailers to not only give them the space/location they want in the shops, but also to shift their nearest competitors to the worst spot in the shops? (as they have done with the ds, even though it still looks impressive when you find it!)

and if so, and they do this with the revolution (very under-hand tactic but hey that's sony!) do you think it'll affect its credibility (as has happened to the GC) when it does get released and the ps3 is still taking "pride of place"?

or do you think (hope?) that retailers won't allow this to happen, and will realise the potential of the revo to pull in more users? (ok that was three questions, but don't tell anyone...)

(jeez, i waffle don't i?!)

I'm not sure whether Sony does buy more space in the shops. I can imagine that Microsoft would do this. The sad fact is that the Gamecube just isn't selling anymore. My local GAME no longer has any Gamecube games on the wall :shock: It's all on one tiny little floor shelf! PS2 meanwhile has almost half of the shop to itself, and then Xbox and PC has an equal ammount, followed by the 2 stack PSP, and then the 1 stack of DS, and 1 stack of GBA. I can quite easily understand the reasoning behind the larger area occupied by the PSP than the DS. The DS shelf quite simply has games on it with only a few essential peripherals. The PSP shelf has games (which are in taller boxes) UMD movies, Memory sticks, and a countless number of pointless peripherals. If you took away the peripherals, the UMD movies and the memory cards, you would be left with the same shelf space as the DS. PS2 owns half of the store because it owns half of the market, simple as that. DS sales have dropped since launch due to lack of decent games available. Now we're getting Nintendogs, which I cant guess will make the DS occupy a larger space in the store, and when Mario Kart DS comes, well I'll let you figure that out. DS sales will pick up and the DS shelf will rack up next the the PSP shelf.

Answering your question about the Revolution, I don't think there's any way that it will be pushed asside by the PS3. The new console always gets to the front of the store, and Rev. is likely to launch after PS3, so it'll move into that space when it's released. The PS3 will probably have a larger section when the Rev. is launched simply because it will have been out longer and have more games available. Revolution should launch with 2 shelf stacks in my local game, and by that time Xbox 360 should have 4, and PS3 3. The question is, which way will it go from there? Well it all depends on sales, and the current layout represents the current sales. If that isn't true then I've judged it all wrong.

interesting points ,my GAME use to have stacks on walls not so long ago (might still be there only grabbed baten and left) now its on a small floor stand,which is quite shocking

If I would be a shop owner I would allocate the space to various consoles in a money making order.

XBOX360 gets most because it is the first next-gen console - that means every console of this generation will lose space. PS2 sells better than XBOX and the XBOX better than the Gamecube. So the Gamecube section would lose the most space whereas the PS2 only as much as needed.

I would also learn from this generation that means if Revolution and PS3 launch at nearly the same time the PS3 would get more (and/or better) space than the Revolution. If the Revolution would sell pretty well I would reallocate space to fit the demand.

I don't think either MS or Sony pay to get a good shop place but their success does it for them.

Furthermore I really think it is Nintendos own fault - they just don't spend as much money on advertising like they really should. Especially here in Austria I never saw a commercial for a Nintendo product (I saw one from EA for Medal of Honor Gamecube version) but 2 weeks before the PSP launch the TV was full with commercials and big electronic retailers had prospects with the PSP and games for it in nearly every household.

Nintendo gets what it deserves - and if they limit their promoting budget it is their choice but to really reach casual gamers, parents, ... you have to advertise your product. I don't need a TV ad to buy a Revolution because I am informed and I know what I want but many people need some "help" to know what they want ;)

Well lets secure a decent amount of shelve space by ALL OF US pre-ordering!!!

Maybe if it's seen as in demand then it will get a decent amount of space!

I don't plan on buying PAL revo at all :P

U.S. all the way.. so unless Sony pays eBay to put some PS3's here and there, when you search Nintendo Revolution, thats not gonna be a problem. :D

Ps. I have a part-time job at a gaming store and I'll try to make sure the Revolution will be noticed! :P

I know someone who's worked in GAME, they made it very clear that there are "incentives" by the various manufacturers to control how much shelf space their consoles have in-store. It's not just about what sells well, I'm afraid.

At my local GAME the Nintendo shelves are always at the rear end; out of view from the shop window/entrance. If Sony really plays extra money to retailers then i think they are cheeky :doh:

Ninty all the way :cool:

all the GC games are on a crappy little shelf thing at the back in the middle of the floor, at my nearest GAME. And the ds got pushed to the back of the store, and the GBA and DS was replaced at the front with PSP, i think its just ridiculous, the GBA games have been at that place for years then they move it cos the psp has come. what a load of cahones

All shops have one sole aim. To make money. Business objectives, shareholders and overheads all dictate what and where things are sold.

I'm not convinced that Sony could pay to have a prime spot - does anyone have any legal knowledge here. I'd think there could be some legislation against this.

However, Nintendo needs to reaslise that Revolution is up against some heavy competition. Say what we like about Sony and Microsoft, but the fact remains that both manufacturers have been far more successful that Nintendo this generation. NIntendo needs killer apps, strong support, an outstanding marketing strategy (not necessarily TV adverts for those who seem to think Marketing is solely TV adverts) and good word of mouth.

I went into my local GAME on Saturday, only to discover that the only GameCube games in the entire store were in the pre-owned section. You can't really blame retailers for doing this, though - GameCube games just aren't selling any more. No decent first party titles have been released for ages, and the only games on the imminent horizon are hardly huge. I'll still get Pokémon XD, but that'll probably be it for this year. Sales will undoubtedly pick up when Zelda comes out, and no doubt GameCube games will regain a little bit more shelf space, but by then the 360 will be here, taking yet more space away from Nintendo machines.

As for the DS, I am surprised that it's been relagated to the back of the shop quite so quickly, but then again, there hasn't been much of note released for that recently, either. Nintendo don't seem particularly keen to get many games out here before Christmas, either, which is worrying. America gets Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario and Luigi 2 and Metroid Prime Pinball. We get Mario Kart and two games that should have come out here ages ago - Nintendogs and Kirby.

Nintendo has got to sort out its release schedules when the Revolution comes out or it's just going to be left behind again.

After Gamestation opened in my area I was saved from the terrible GAME shop. This is just my opinion so don't get grumpy :P

GAME staff are generally Mcdonalds rejects and the entire shop is a joke. In GAME, the prices are too high for preowned games, although the new games come out at 39.99 or whatever and gamestation usually have it a few pounds less and will lower the price earlier than game - that's with all games from what I've seen, not just Nintendo. One thing I find funny is the deal GAME sometimes do where you trade in 4 games and get a new one for a pound... haha....

I find the general atmosphere in Gamestation more friendly and welcoming and I get the feeling that the staff know more about games. The shelf space for each console in GAME is always biased towards one of the 3 home consoles whereas in Gamestation I've always seen fair shelf space.

This could be different for whereever you live but it's certainly like this where I am.. Gamestation is great :D

well they also want to sell stuff. So the stuff that sells well, has to have lots and good space.

In my local EB-games, you have to know where to look to find the DS and GBA stuff. And usually there are emty crates and cardboard figures halfway blocking the Nintendo portable stuff. And im not kidding.

Sony buying shelf space? Come on. That's just naive. Sony consoles are more popular => Sony games are more popular => they get more shelf space. The Revolution needs to earn its shelf space.

Well, I never said they buy shelf-space, they're not that blatant. What you do get are deals being made, i.e. preferential stock supply, better unit prices or buying larger quantities of stock, "staff training courses" about the latest game or system and so on. Money may not directly change hands, but the shelf space is still "bought" in its own way.

a couple of really good points there, and yes "incentives" is a much better word for what they do, it's still unfair trading in my eyes though, almost like cheating to be seen in this way (more prominent) by casual gamers who float into these shops.

the next generation shouldn't be stocked in accordance with how this generation has performed, especially with the revolution creating a whole >>proper<< "new generation" whereas the other manufacturers are simply upgrading what they already have out. it's not right but it'll probably happen if nintendo don't see to it otherwise!

Who cares? Even the first-time gamers will take the obvious choice: Revolution.

That depends.. most first-time gamers choose the same console as their friends... Around here almost everyone I know owns PS2 or PS2 & Gamecube..

I'm not convinced that Sony could pay to have a prime spot - does anyone have any legal knowledge here. I'd think there could be some legislation against this.

I honestly don't see why it would/should be illegal to buy shelf space or prominent positions when it's already done in supermarkets.*

I'm sure that there's many other stores that do it too, like Blockbuster, perhaps.

*In descending order of cost, this is how it goes:

Right side, middle shelf

Left side middle shelf

right side, top shelf

left side, top shelf

right side, bottom shelf

left side, bottom shelf

And no, I don't work in a supermarket :]

I don't really think the space will matter, as Nintendo new control system is so amazingly revolutionary, that it could catch someone's eye from a mile off.

And the Nintendo fans will not go into GAME, see that the Revolution isn't right in front of them, and then go out crying. We Nintendiaks will search until we find what we are looking for, Nintendo Revolution, in my mind, the only next generation console out that, seeing as the PS3 and XBox360 are just the same with more on and better graphics, the Revo is a whole new experience!

That depends.. most first-time gamers choose the same console as their friends... Around here almost everyone I know owns PS2 or PS2 & Gamecube..

Well, think of dads buying games for their kids. I've seen an article saying that most parents will most likely buy a revo for their kids, seeing as they played them when they were their age.

Gamestation aren't as bad as GAME when it comes to shelf space. PS2 still has the most, but Xbox and Gamecube both have their fair share. The same goes for PSP, DS, and GBA. Heck, Gamestation still have shelf space for retro consoles like the NES and Genesis, and they generally have better deals anyway. Plus they actually give you a decent amount of cash for trade-ins.

Gamestation aren't as bad as GAME when it comes to shelf space. PS2 still has the most, but Xbox and Gamecube both have their fair share. The same goes for PSP, DS, and GBA. Heck, Gamestation still have shelf space for retro consoles like the NES and Genesis, and they generally have better deals anyway. Plus they actually give you a decent amount of cash for trade-ins.

o why o why o why o why can't belfast have a gamestation? :( we have GAME, virgin, HMV (where i buy most of my stuff these days) and the gawd-awful-for-nintendo-fans gamestop (don't get me started! grr!)

Sign in to follow this