NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Phube

Have wii all got over it then?

May have been mentioned before but again Ninty's genius on show about when the name 'Wii' was released. Because all the way through the conference who thought Reggie was saying 'wee' (*snigger*). 'cause I for one wasn't. In fact I really couldn't tell whether he was saying 'we' as in Nintendo, or 'Wii' as in the console, half the time - which I believe is the whole point of the name.

BTW to end my ramblings, Is there anyone on here left who still thinks the name is a work of Satan and should be jettisoned before the launch?

no - its pure brilliance. let it stay. it has been accepted, the storm is over. Now comes the console and years of enjoyment

Nah, I'd actually go as far as to say I love the name now. Its ace :D

Nah, I'd actually go as far as to say I love the name now. Its ace :D

Pretty much the same as me. Nintendo were very smart to release the name a few weeks before E3.

Yip I love it now.With Nintendo saying 'Wii' and 'We' it's like they care about us.

I personally love the name "Wii".

It makes me think of the Winston Churchill speech, y'know, "Wii will fight them on the beaches..."

It really solidifies Nintendos "group" message.

And is it just me or does everyone think of Nintendo when they pop to the loo?

Talk about subliminal advertising!

I still think it's a stupid name, but Nintendo did well to make it work. However they still have a lot to do if they're going to make the public except it.

I like the name now. It's much better than Revolution. I mean how many people were calling it the Rev/Revo? I like the name and it's gotten the console a lot of attention. And if anyone is actually being immature enough to to make jokes about 'wee' anymore, then they clearly can't make jokes about Nintendo being 'for kids'.

I still think it's a stupid name, but Nintendo did well to make it work. However they still have a lot to do if they're going to make the public accept it.

Fixed

It makes me think of the Winston Churchill speech, y'know, "Wii will fight them on the beaches..."

They should use that as an ad campaign. If not for the console then a war game.

I still vehemently hate the name. On the upside, it's generated a ton of publicity.

I still think "Nintendo Titan" would have been better....or even, "Nintendo Uss" for that matter.

well, im still asking girls if they wanna play with my Wii, but im a randy person neways, it gets some laughs out of them as they have no idea what im tlaking about and just laugh cause they feel sorry for me :P

Aren't we going to say "Let's play Nintendo" anyway ?

That's what I did for the last 15 years.

________

Web Shows

Edited by Philoss

Most people i know know what Wii is now. I think, as I said 30 mins after hearing the name, its a great way to get people interested.

Yes, I'm one of the 2.

If the had anouched it at the e3 show everyone would have been talking about that in a negative way, but by saying the name first, then at e3 everyone was used to it. Also I must add his speech was very good, so many times wii/we was mentioned, like "wii/we will change everything", lots of repitition.

In fact I really couldn't tell whether he was saying 'we' as in Nintendo, or 'Wii' as in the console, half the time - which I believe is the whole point of the name.
Well for this you'd have to listen to the rest of the sentence, perhaps you were giggling to loudly- it's okay I'm sure all the infant school children were doing the same when they were watching the conference stream.

For example:

"We are going to change gaming" the next word 'are' suggest that it is talking about a group, it is Nintendo Reggie was referring

"Wii is going to change gaming" the next word "is" suggests it is talking about the console

BTW to end my ramblings, Is there anyone on here left who still thinks the name is a work of Satan and should be jettisoned before the launch?
To put it simply- no.

Can we make the 'Wii' puns a bannable offence soon? :?

Yeah, I still think it sucks, but I now find myself forgetting it sucks and that's a good sign.

I still vehemently hate the name. On the upside, it's generated a ton of publicity.

I still think "Nintendo Titan" would have been better....or even, "Nintendo Uss" for that matter.

Titan for something so small?! :hmm:

Well for this you'd have to listen to the rest of the sentence, perhaps you were giggling to loudly- it's okay I'm sure all the infant school children were doing the same when they were watching the conference stream.

For example:

"We are going to change gaming" the next word 'are' suggest that it is talking about a group, it is Nintendo Reggie was referring

"Wii is going to change gaming" the next word "is" suggests it is talking about the console

Although I only took English up to GCSE level, I am well versed in the English language (Hell I've even read 'Eats, shoots and leaves'! and enjoyed it!!).

My point was more when Reggie was saying:

Wii/we will show you how games should be played.

Wii/we will bring back the gamers who've fell out of love with gaming!

Wii/we will appeal to everyone.

Wii/we will change everything!

Either version of the word would be perfectly cromulent in these situations!!

we will appeal to everyone.
Okay fair point, but I don't know anyone who doesn't already love Reggie.

Moore and Harrison have expressed their love over the weekend.

hated the name a week ago .....

ive come to except it now....

..might even say i actually like it now ....

Still can't say it in a sentence without it sounding stupid but kudos on them for sticking with it despite the initial reactions.

I'm slowly getting used to it. Doesn't feel AS ridiculous talking about it anymore.

I got over it after 10 seconds, because I realised a name is nothing more than a mean to an end. If a name is cool or not it means nothing, but if a name can bring exposure to a brand, it's a successful one.

Sign in to follow this