NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Johelian

Finished Fahrenheit last night.....

Wow.

I wasnt expecting the game to be long at all (you are meant to play it numerous times after all), but even so it was longer than I thought it would be, and the story consistently gripping. Im about to play it for the second time to do things a bit differently. Im not sure that the different play throughs will affect "everything" as I have seen claimed, but hopefully I will be able to see new scenarios that I didnt encounter the first time through.

It also has some of the best unlockables I have ever seen in a game :)

________

XLV750R

Edited by Johelian

I've got this on order from Play, but as it was despatched around midday I'm not expecting it until Monday. Still, it's a bargain at £27.

In the mean time I'll have another bash at defeating that giant mouse in Ouendan; it appears I have no sense of rhythm.

I went into town and picked this one up today. Props to Jordan for letting me know this interesting concept even existed. I'll post impressions after I make substaintial progress. Or maybe when I get back from work. Needless to say I was instantly impressed by the presentation. Controls need a little getting used to.

I'm definitely getting this...the demo was amazing.

Although I axtually forgot it was out already!

I was on the edge of buying it today, but my bank account looked at me and cried. :no:

Mite pick it up at the end of the month.

Im thinking about getting it but I havent really read up much on the gameplay etc. Whats it like?

Well, think something like one of the current gen "point and click" games (which ironically now have full analogue control), combined with a fantastic story, multiple plot threads, agonising action sequences...and you about have Fahrenheit down :) Its being described, in the most basic reviews, as an interactive movie; this doesnt do it any justice at all however.

You move around with the left analogue stick, and the right stick is used to carry out different actions when youre near enough to certain objects. This is perhaps where the description of an interactive movie comes in; quite often, certain items can only be interacted with once you have completed a previous action, which can make it feel like youre just moving about triggering off cut scenes to watch the story unfold. However, there are (supposedly) many ways to complete the different scenarios; I really need to play again before I will have an idea as to how accurate a description this is, but it definitely sounds promising. I can think of a couple of places where I could have done something differently, so Id like to see what bearing it would have had on the story if I had chosen another path.

The story is really the heart of Fahrenheit; you play through the game as several characters all at the same time, and get to influence each of their stories by the decisions you make. These decisions can be anything, from choosing a certain option in conversations (convos have a time limit, and you can never pick all of the topics for conversation in one go, so directing the patter is important if you want to find out the best information) to hanging around in a room for a while to see if someone will knock on your door. The different scenarios available are so seamlessly integrated, however, that you can only very rarely discern where or how your actions have influenced the game. This is very masterful, and a far cry from something like Knights of the Old Republic with its good/bad choices.

Rather than actually have beat-em-up sections and so on, the game is interspersed with QTE sections that have you moving the analogue sticks to correspond with onscreen prompts. These are never too hard (except at one point where you had to hammer the triggers for an agonising length of time that almost paralysed my hands), and keep the story flowing. Fans of action games may be disappointed though, as youre never really pushed in terms of dexterity. Having said that though, there are several sections of the game that are timed, and hence which are incredibly tense; luckily, the timers are perfectly gauged, and while you will have to move quickly, I found that the sections never felt unfair.

So, Ill guess Ill wrap up this rather lengthy post by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed the 8 hours or so I spent playing this game through, and am keen to get back to playing it again to see what I could do differently. Its the first game to truly grab me away from World of Warcraft in a long time. Kudos, Quantic Dream.

________

Bond Insurance Forum

Edited by Johelian

I bought this today, and i'm glad I did.

Johelian pretty much summed the game up - if you're a pure action gamer then I wouldn't bother with it, because the extent of the action (from what i've seen so far, anyway) is following on-screen prompts to move either analog stick (I bought the Xbox version, I don't know how this works on the PC) in certain directions at certain times, and also involves hammering the L and R buttons. If you're an adventure gamer, or somewhere inbetween the two extremes, you are well catered for with this title.

Controls are initially awkward, especially as the camera angle frequently changes but doesn't let you continue moving in the same direction that you were originally moving without changing the position on the analog stick that you are pushing. I also find turning around/turning to try and interact with objects to be a bit weird, but I guess that's just me. I'm getting used to it, though.

Speaking of the camera angle, i'm especially liking the 24-esque picture-in-picture approach that the game frequently uses.

Plenty of unlockables, including images, videos, music, etc. Each require a certain amount of points to unlock, which are then deducted from your "bank" of points. Points are found in the form of cards which are hidden in the game world.

I've only played a few scenes, and i'm already pretty engrossed in the story. I look forward to playing more and finding out just what the hell is going on.

Recommended.

I bought this today, and i'm glad I did.

Controls are initially awkward, especially as the camera angle frequently changes but doesn't let you continue moving in the same direction that you were originally moving without changing the position on the analog stick that you are pushing.

This is very true, and there were some frustrating times where I would end up having to push the stick in the opposite direction to that in which I wanted to travel...a bit irritating, but releasing the stick and then pressing it again sorts it out.

I managed to get enough points to unlock everything available in one play, and still had some left over so perhaps there are extra things to unlock depending on the way you play the game :D I hope so anyway.

________

Honda dylan125

Edited by Johelian

I personally would say yes, since I loved the characters and the story (and am at the moment going through screwing everything up for the cops and making the murderer shine - fantastic!). Having said that though the story is really the crux of the game, and once youve played it youre going to know what happens - so I imagine some people wont be bothered to play it again. A game youre only every going to play for about 8 hours isnt really that good value. Also, the game has very little "action" to it; its definitely not slow paced, but you never carry out any of the action yourself like in, say, GTA or something. I think this relative lack of button bashing will strike some people as boring.

At the end of the day, if you like a good story and a truly innovative way of telling it, you will like Fahrenheit.

________

BUY EXTREME Q VAPORIZER

Edited by Johelian

I'm pretty sure I'll love this, so it'll be mine as and when the finance department bids it possible.

Hurray! :grin:

Possible spoiler:

I got Lucas back together with his girlfriend last night! And had to take part in a DDR esque sex scene! Take that Monica Lewinski!

Now to see if I can stop her from dying...probably not, but hey.

________

UHWH WAREHOUSE

Edited by Johelian

Got it through the post today and im loving it. i downloaded a 4 chapter demo last week and i couldnt wait to continue the game. I highly recomend it!!

7/10 … that might rise to 8 on a second play through. I'm keeping an open mind on this baby.

It really was supposed to be all about the story but it had so many plot-holes and things than went unexplained that I couldn't really enjoy it. To a point that is, the first half of the game was awesome.

It went weird when Kane died. If he was dead, how to he get a hard-on to have sex with Carla, let alone impregnate her?

What, in the name of all things feck-related, was the purpose of that weird AI yellow dude? Why did the bullets affect him when he seemed to be made of absolutely nothing? Why was he so much easier to kill than the Oracle?

And where the hell did those soldiers guys come from?

Oh, and the stealth sections were sh*te, but then they usually are in games that aren't purely driven by stealth.

Edit: That quote thing needs sorting out. It's stretching the page! Rubbish!

You could alway do what friendly neighbourhood no-buyderman Jordan does, and download everything. Not that I condone downloading, I'm just saying that's an alternative if you want to be a cheap, pirating Yorkshire bastard. No offense to anyone from Yorkshire, or pirates.

I intend to garner some playtime with this beast later tonight. Wow, masturbation joke ahoy.

I think youre right to an extent Foo - there are loads of things that didnt make a great deal of sense to the story at the very end. For example:

Carla decides after about 10 minutes of Lucas' company that she loves him.

Where the hell did that come from?! Ive even tried to replay without this happening but its not possible, which is a real bee in my bonnet. Having said that though, the first time I played it I was so caught up in what was happening that it didnt really bother me; and I guess because that was right at the end of the game, it was too late to affect it. It does upset me that you cant give Lucas an alternative "good" ending though.

________

M123 ENGINE

Edited by Johelian

So I've heard of this before, but I have no idea for what console it is. Eheh ^^

EDIT: Sorry so it's for XBOX and PC. I'll try to get it for PC, it seems interesting. Thanks for the heads up Jo. You don't mind that I call you Jo do you? :P

o it's for XBOX and PC.

And PS2, if you've got yourself one of those. It fairs better on a console, in my opinion, as it's a real 'armchair' game.

So I've heard of this before, but I have no idea for what console it is. Eheh ^^

EDIT: Sorry so it's for XBOX and PC. I'll try to get it for PC, it seems interesting. Thanks for the heads up Jo. You don't mind that I call you Jo do you? :P

Only if I can call you...Hell. :P

________

KUMHO BMW CHAMPIONSHIP

Edited by Johelian

I think youre right to an extent Foo - there are loads of things that didnt make a great deal of sense to the story at the very end. For example:

Carla decides after about 10 minutes of Lucas' company that she loves him.

Where the hell did that come from?! Ive even tried to replay without this happening but its not possible, which is a real bee in my bonnet. Having said that though, the first time I played it I was so caught up in what was happening that it didnt really bother me; and I guess because that was right at the end of the game, it was too late to affect it. It does upset me that you cant give Lucas an alternative "good" ending though.

Lol, i know what u mean. Altho they did spend some time together before that happend, so its really a day not tem mins. Other than the ending happening to quick i think the game is amazing and i highly recomend it!!

I just can't seem to get into this one. The controls keep faffing me about, but the commendable experience that comes with the game seems to be something I can't simply pass up. We'll see what happens, otherwise I can always abuse the Game 10 day returns policy.

Lol, i know what u mean. Altho they did spend some time together before that happend, so its really a day not tem mins. Other than the ending happening to quick i think the game is amazing and i highly recomend it!!

Yeah but in terms of interaction with the characters, we only see them together in about 3 scenes. Not really enough time to build chemistry I would say.

________

How To Roll A Joint

Edited by Johelian

Sign in to follow this