NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Alterego

Isss There A God!!

I did A-Level RS and Philosophy so I know alot about this, but is far to deep to delve into now. This topic wants to ask people the ultimate question, the one that is so huge and perplexing that millions of people have tried to find out the anwser for thousands of years and yet we fall down onto our knees as we are dealing with something far beyond our comprehension.

Personally, I am an atheist, do not believe in God and I believe that without religion, the world would be a happier place. I wrote a 59.5 page essay on the matter...few..that ws tiring!

Other intelligent life in the universe??? I'm sorry my freind but you are very naive.

I'm sorry, but I think you are very naive. Just because we think that is how everything works, doesn't mean we are right; that is just how we humans believe it to be. Don't just think that we know everything; we know jack about the universe really, we assume a lot of things-heck we don't even know everything about our own planet so how you can come out and say that 'this must be like this, this must be like that...' is beyond me.

Those factors you poured out are for the creation of humanoid life. Wait; those facts you poured out are what our scientists believe are needed for the creation of a planet capable of having human/intelligent life. The fact is, we cannot say whethere that is true for different forms of life. Some may not need oxygen, some may not need light...we just cannot be sure, so think about things like that before you call me naive.

God was made up as an explanation for life. Humans minds cannot take tehre being no explainaion or no understanding, just as it cannot understand infinity.

Other intelligent life in the universe??? I'm sorry my freind but you are very naive. I just don't think you comprehend how unique and finally balanced the earth is. For example if there was only a 1% increase in oxygen in the atmosphere, there could be no life on this earth, I could go into very intricate detail about distance from the sun, the fact that we are one of the few solar syatems with one sun, but I won't because that would take all day.

Yes, they're perfect conditions... for creatures of an Earthly nature. Other life forms could adapt to different atmospheres just as we supposedly did with our current conditions.

Other intelligent life in the universe??? I'm sorry my freind but you are very naive. I just don't think you comprehend how unique and finally balanced the earth is. For example if there was only a 1% increase in oxygen in the atmosphere, there could be no life on this earth, I could go into very intricate detail about distance from the sun, the fact that we are one of the few solar syatems with one sun, but I won't because that would take all day.

I will however leave you with this, how long is time? You see in the eternity of time the life of our Solar system is but an insignifficant dot, the time of the earth is incomprehensiblely small and the time life has existed on earth even smaller, and Humans (the only intelligent life known on earth) have only existed a few hundred thousand years.

So what I am trying to say is that the chance of there being intelligent life out there AT THE SAME TIME as intelligent life existing on earth is minuet given the fine balance of life giving planets, in fact you'd have a better chance of getting repeatedly hit by lighting every minute for the rest of your life.

You shouldn't resort to offensive name-calling. I don't understand how there can be solar systems without a sun. Or why "suns" can be so rare in an infinitely huge universe. Excuse me for being so naive.

i am not getting into this thing all i am going to say is that i belive that god exsists and there is a heaven and a hell

I think religion is a sign of human weakness. Many people are afraid of being alone and not having someone to guide them and lookout for them. Therefore, we created religion to fill the void. When things go right in a person's life, they automatically say that god was looking out for them, but when something bad happens, they just say that is how god intended it to be. I've seen this happens many times. Anyway, I don't believe in god, but I understand why some people feel the need to.

P.S: If there really was a god, would preists be molesting little boys in church?

You shouldn't resort to offensive name-calling. I don't understand how there can be solar systems without a sun. Or why "suns" can be so rare in an infinitely huge universe. Excuse me for being so naive.

Offensive name calling???? Where did that come from!! Did you grow up in some kind of place where...oh...forget it.

Offensive name calling???? Where did that come from!! Did you grow up in some kind of place where...oh...forget it.

You called someone naive. There are nicer ways that you could have made your point.

You called someone naive. There are nicer ways that you could have made your point.

Yes, and you called someone naive for saying something, then you just backed up your reasoning with assumptions we don't even know are accurate. Just because our scientists say it is right, must mean it is right eh?

Tell that to the people pre-medical renaissance....

yeah i agree, i actualy think you are very niave yourself for using asumptions and that i carent believe that out of all the planets out there and all the different enviroments, that there isent other alien life, i believe that there is other humans out there and that we are desendadnts of them....yeah im not gonna get into that, but yeah im only stating my belife im not saying that its a fact or nothing. wich is what it kind of sounded lik eyou were.

ifirjjkt.jpg

Take The quiz yourself!

"Science works by experiments it watches how things behave. Every scientific statement in the long run however complicated it looks. Really means something like I pointed the telescope to a point in the sky at 2.20am at Jan 15th and saw so and so. Do not think I am saying anything against science, I am only saying what its job is and the more scientific a man is the more I believe he would agree with me that this is the job of science and a very useful job it is to. But why anything comes to be there at all and whether there is anything behind what science observes something of a different kind, this is not a scientific question.

The statement that there is such a thing and that there is no such thing is not a statement science can make. Real scientists do not usually make them, it is usually the journalists and popular novelists who have picked up some odds and ends of half baked science from textbooks that make them. It is really common sense, supposing science ever became complete so that it knew everything in the entire universe, is it not plain that the questions. Why is there a universe? Why does it go on as it does? Has it any meaning? Would remain just as they were."

This is from a book my the Christian theologion and fiction writer C.S.Lewis called Mere Christianity. Mr Lewis was probably one of teh greatest minds of the 20th century and certianly one of the most logical. I hope that helps this debate a bit. Will post my own views later but im so very tired.

I think religion is a sign of human weakness. Many people are afraid of being alone and not having someone to guide them and lookout for them. Therefore, we created religion to fill the void. When things go right in a person's life, they automatically say that god was looking out for them, but when something bad happens, they just say that is how god intended it to be. I've seen this happens many times. Anyway, I don't believe in god, but I understand why some people feel the need to.

P.S: If there really was a god, would preists be molesting little boys in church?

I agree fully with that

Therefore, we created religion to fill the void. When things go right in a person's life, they automatically say that god was looking out for them, but when something bad happens, they just say that is how god intended it to be.

If you're imaginative you can come up with numerous reasons as to why god "planned" all the evils in the world to happen. i know this is a tired arguement, but why would a god or "heavenly being" let thousands be killed in the various natural disasters we've had in the past few years.

Personally i dont care if people believe in god or whatever, i wouldnt push any belief into someones face and wouldnt let people do it to me.

totally agree with the priests molesting children point. that is pure evil. children are supposedly a miracle and should be "protected by god"

but theres no arguing with religion. it always has a backup. no proof will ever stump someone with faith.

I don't understand this 'how can here be a God if there is evil' arguement.

1. Good, evil. Morality. Who sets the standard for morality? What's good? What's evil? But sure, let's take the 10 commandments or whatever scripture and use that as a basis.

2. You assume that God wanted to create a perfect planet. Why so? Perhaps a perfect being wanted to create a perfectly imperfect planet.

3. Trade off. Hurricanes. They're so bad and evil, why would a God ever let that happen?! Balance, maybe? Take away hurricanes, and you've set sail for chaos. What may not be good to you, may be good for you.

4. What's wrong with suffering? Is it really that bad? It makes us stronger, teaches us lessons. Without pain, suffering or evil, we would take everything for granted.

I agree with Athriller. The very fact that people site evil as a reason to not believe in God seems most odd to me. Where have they learnt this divide between what is right and wrong? Other animals on this planet don't seem to have an idea of the just or unjust nature of this world.

Also humans have free will and surely a good act has much more meaning in a world were a human can act in an evil or good manner rather than being forced to be angelic constantly.

Sign in to follow this