NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tom

best album for non sex/drugs

i cant be the only one feeling left out while the stoners and sluts talk about music :heh:

so whats everyones most beautifull album. not best, or fsavourite, or most listened to, but the album you listen to and you are just blown away that anyone can make music that beautifull.

for me it has to be frances the mute by the mars volta, with how strange, innocence by explosions in the sky in second.

There just something about Linkin park's - hybrid theory...that makes me wanna listen to it over and over..never could get tired of that album

*waits for flaming*

Muse is amazing for your ears and imagination. Its the kind of music you listen to and it makes you want to start learning guitar and piano yourself.

Stangely enough the stuff that sounds good when performing the intake of illicit drugs and performing casual sex also sounds good when you're totally straight.

Muse and Radiohead are quite possibly two of the most amazing artists I've ever heard. Listening to them makes me feel so good its undescribeable. All I can do is pump my head and leap about like a git.

The Joshua Tree is a fantastic album. Some gorgeous Melodies and hooks, and genious lyrics aswell. Definately a beautiful album.

Personally , I would have to go with 'The Downward Spiral' by Nine Inch Nails. As for being a beautiful album , probably not , as the issues dealt with on it are far too dark or bleak to be considered as beautiful.

But it is beautiful in the way the album is structered , and how the songs are put together - it really puts you in the mind of the creator and takes you on an epic (if hellish) journey.

Even 10 years odd since its release it gets played regularly , and I still find it as haunting and epic as I did when I first heard it. IMO Trent Reznor really is one of the best songwriters/musicians of recent times.

I'm listening to Tool right now (Aenima album). Fantastic band. Even though the album is on for like 70+ minutes I still love listening to the whole thing. I love the opening track "Stinkfist" it's just brilliant. Beautiful music that makes you think. Maynard James Keenan is an amazing song writer IMO.

John Lennon for the win, got to love him :D, other bands albums worth a mention are

Nirvana - espically their first album Bleach

Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Ramones - Any of their albums these guys are legends

Thats all I can think of for now.

The most beautiful album in my collection would have to be Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros. It's like the soundtrack to an incredible dream. If you close your eyes while you listen, your mind is transported to epic locations - snow-covered mountain tops, rolling oceans, magnificent glaciers. I used to listen to it on the way to my exams; it really helped to calm the nerves, and provided me with one last moment of escape.

The Joshua Tree by U2 is a beautiful album, no swearing or heavy rock. All the songs are awesome. I can't listen to it enough.

Here's my top four;

1st.Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol

2nd.Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

3rd.Toxicity - SoaD/Room On Fire - The Strokes

Edit: forgot Room On Fire

I think

The Killers - Hot Fuss

is en extraordinary and fantastic album, pretty much all the songs on it are awesome and i like it:cool:

The albums I own that best fit what Tom says is probably the Mars Volta ones.

I much prefer De-Loused in the Comatorium over Frances the Mute as I feel there is less messing about and more tunes :)

Other ones I own that I love are anything penned by Will Johnson, he records under 3 different names; Centro-Matic, South San Gabriel and Will Johnson and releases about 2 records a year of some of the most beautiful music

The most beautiful album in my collection would have to be Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros. It's like the soundtrack to an incredible dream. If you close your eyes while you listen, your mind is transported to epic locations - snow-covered mountain tops, rolling oceans, magnificent glaciers. I used to listen to it on the way to my exams; it really helped to calm the nerves, and provided me with one last moment of escape.

I just looked that up on iTunes and it is just the sort of thing I was looking for. In fact I just ordered 'Agaetis Byrjun', 'Takk', and '( )' from CD-Wow. Thanks.

I think that a lot of Lamb's tracks would fall in to what Tom is looking for, but they are spread out over their four albums, really. I suppose if I had to pick one it would be 'Between Darkness and Wonder', simply because it features 'Darkness', 'Learn', 'Please', and 'Hearts and Flowers'. Having said that, 'Lullaby' from 'Fear of Fours' is as fresh now as it ever was, and their self-titled album is still eclectic genius.

Oh, I'd also like to nominate anything by 'Zero 7'.

Hey, Lammie, sounds like we share musical tastes, cos we both love Radiohead and Muse. Are you a Volta fan? Radiohead, I'd say OK Computer > Kid A > HTTT > Amnesiac > The Bends, although they're all bloody fantastic. My favourite kind of music is the sort that makes the hair on your neck standup, that nerve twitching thing, and for that, my favourite bands, in no particular order, are Jeff Buckley, Sigur Ros, The Mars Volta, Radiohead, Muse, The Doors, Pink FLoyd, King Crimson, and The Jimi Hendrix. I also love Dreamtheater, Tool, Yes, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Stones, Polar Bear, Brian Auger and the Trinity, Santana, and some others, but not quite as much.

Radiohead are just plain amazing. They can take you through allsorts of emotions and I'll never tire of hearing them.

And, as mentioned previously, Sigur Ros make some superb soundscapes! Takk... is one of the albums of the year.

Anyway, just read the main question so:

Sigur Rós - Ãgætis Byrjun

Radiohead - Kid A/Amnesiac

Doves - Lost Souls

Elbow - Asleep In The Back

Super Furry Animals - Mwng (Giddy tracks aside)

Are you a Volta fan?

I can't say I've stopped and listened to any of their albums in full, but Inertiatic ESP and the Widow get a fair run on iTunes though. Now that you mention it, I don't know why I've never listened to their stuff more seeing that I rate At The Drive In quite highly...

Mezzanine by Massive Attack is also one of my top albums too, forgot too mention that before...

There just something about Linkin park's - hybrid theory...that makes me wanna listen to it over and over..never could get tired of that album

*waits for flaming*

Actually when that first came out, I was totally into that kind of music. I loved the band and the CD, and thought that I would never like any album better. Granted that was a good few years ago, and my tastes have changed, but I know where you're coming from at least.

Any KoЯn album. Most of you probably hate them, but i swear I would be dead without them. Anyone who says that they only do shouty songs is ignorant as they clearly havent listened to alot of the music. For me: Life saving music.

Mylo - Destroy rock and roll is an album I would class as beautiful also the first Royksopp album and kudos to whoever mentioned Sigur Ros

Details by Frou Frou

I almost mentioned that, but then I realised that if I did that I'd end up just copy and pasting my iTunes library. In a related note, however, you might want to check out Imogen Heap's album, 'Speak For Yourself', if you haven't already done so.

An album I was toying with before was 'Dummy' by Protishead. I wouldn't say it was conventionally beautiful, but it's not without its admirers.

Sign in to follow this