NEurope
Sarka

Super Paper Mario

So August 10 is a strategic date!!! Now I know why I've been waiting since last year for Trauma Center - Second Opinion... :grin:

Why you people can't fucking grasp that Nintendo has nothing to do with Trauma Center: Second Opinion, which is 3rd party title. It is localized by Atlus, not Nintendo.

Why you people can't fucking grasp that Nintendo has nothing to do with Trauma Center: Second Opinion, which is 3rd party title. It is localized by Atlus, not Nintendo.

Last time I checked Nintendo was the Publisher and was handling localization of the European version of Trauma Center: Second Opinion...

I know Atlus handled the US version, but I don't think they are handling the European localization of the game.

But even if they are, do you really think the cause of the delay is the translation of the game's text? 9 months to translate a game that is far from "text heavy"?

Look at Kirby: Canvas Curse/Kirby: Power Paintbrush, Metroid Prime Pinball, Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Mouse Attack (7 months to translate a platformer?), and many more, whose "fault" is that?

You know I'm not a troll, and I'm not a 12 year old "whiner" either, I'm a genuine Nintendo fan who follows this company since their very first console. It upsets me that the European territory is always treated as a 3rd rate market when we have every condition to rival the US as a market, and we are far bigger than the Japanese market.

We pay more for our products (yeah, I know, taxes blah blah blah; it sure explains why games that are released at budget prices elsewhere are always full price here, and other similar situations), we get things at much later dates (if at all), and are we supposed to say thank you?

Are you seriously happy with the way things are? Do you really think they are doing the best they can?

Hooray for finally getting a date for this game. Too bad this means I'll have no new Wii games to play over the summer and that SPM will have to be played when school is starting again. Merf.

Man, now iI have to decide if I should cancel my PW3 pre-order, get Tingle RPG or this :(

Man, now iI have to decide if I should cancel my PW3 pre-order, get Tingle RPG or this :(

Did you pre-order the Japanese or the US edition of PW3? The Japanese edition is cheaper (for example it costs less than £15 with shipping included from Yesasia), it comes out a little earlier (August), and it includes both the Japanese and English language versions.

But yeah, you have a tough choice to make.

Super Paper Mario will probably last you longer than any of the other two games though, since it's supposedly a very long game. But PW3 is apparently the best in the series...

Isn't the majority of Trauma Centre a port of the DS game?

Isn't the majority of Trauma Centre a port of the DS game?
Not much they could salvage from a dual screened, low-res version of the game.

More like a enhanced remake.

Anyway... Paper Mario in september? isn't that too close to Galaxy? I'm smelling no Mario Galaxy for Europe in 2007, maybe.

Not much they could salvage from a dual screened, low-res version of the game.

More like a enhanced remake.

Anyway... Paper Mario in september? isn't that too close to Galaxy? I'm smelling no Mario Galaxy for Europe in 2007, maybe.

But the text will be the same, hence the majority of the translation already done?

But the text will be the same, hence the majority of the translation already done?
I doubt they didn't mostly change that. But I have neither so I won't bet on it.

September 14th is a crap date, Tingle RPG is cool, but I imagine I'll import Super Paper Mario if a good mod or freeloader comes out by then.

Luckily I live in Canada (the country hiding in America's shadow), so i had to pleasure of buying this game a couple of months ago.

Have to say:

-Felt storyline got in teh way of the game. It slowed it down considerablely.

-The pit of 100 trials have a new,annoying part of the game

-Has an insane amount of replay value, and many small, insignificant things to do when your done.

-Bowser isn't as useful as you may think he is; itz called Super Paper Mario fer a reason.

-Overall, just a fun game to play until Galazy comes out.

Now all i need is resi evil 4 and pokemon revo. to entertain me for the summer.

Did you pre-order the Japanese or the US edition of PW3? The Japanese edition is cheaper (for example it costs less than £15 with shipping included from Yesasia), it comes out a little earlier (August), and it includes both the Japanese and English language versions.

But yeah, you have a tough choice to make.

Super Paper Mario will probably last you longer than any of the other two games though, since it's supposedly a very long game. But PW3 is apparently the best in the series...

US version, I'm not that bothered about a few weeks wait. The thing I can only afford one game ATM unless I make some more cash between now and September.

My friend purchased a American wii a week or so ago (i kinda made him,lol).

He stated that on first impression he liked the wii but preferred his 360/PS3 as he is more into the graphical side of things and likes his hd films etc.. for his new HDTV, he did state the wii is a great little console though and the controller is totally fantastic on wii: sports, so his letting me borrow it for just a day or two (two hopefully), as he knows how much i want SPM!

He might...just might...let me buy it of him, if he really believes the wii isn't for him overall. PLEASE god. (fingers crossed). :D

So, was all my moaning justified about Europe having to wait for this? You don't wanna know...Seriously this game is brilliant! It's humourous, plays like the retro Mario games and is just alot of fun to play! Easy on the brain etc..and has so many mario/nintendo themed things which happen in it, it just brings a smile to your face.

I must add, being as i've only played the first 30 mins, that there doesn't seem to be no-where near as much text as the other Paper Mario nor is it at the same level,so at the moment the 5 month wait does seem a little steep, SPM also lacks the depth of the others so far, definately.

I'm not going to give too much away (incase you haven't read up on it), but i must add i do like the added ability to use the remote to find certain things and the ablity to go to 2D-3D instantly really makes this a joy to play.

Overall? I can honestly say that after Zelda, this is the game to go for once you've completed it, i could tell immediately, it feels polished, complete and feels 'Nintendo'. Do not however expect 'Paper Mario: TTYD' depth, it definately is like it, but it doesn't seem to have that RPG element as yet.

So after playing it, i can safely say all my moaning about Europe having to wait for this is justified, it's a bloody liberty. Saying that, your in for one hell of a treat come September.

I'm just hoping i'm allowed to buy the wii, so i can keep this little beauty, i'm going to try my best to finish it before he wants it back..but i'm useless at completing games quickly and i wanna take my time. Damn it. :indeed:

Videogamesplus now have Wii machines in stock if you want to import it Owen.

It's very tempting, but i'll wait and see what my friend says, as it could mean i just keep this one (which is working fine at the mo, touch wood)...he knows it's going to a good home if he sells it to me! :D

Owen,damn you.

If you actually get it a US Wii...

Hmm...

I'm really thinking about getting a US Wii though to import games,but what would be the point of me selling my PAL Wii.And I don't wanna sell my PAL one if I get a US one.

Ah well :heh:

Owen,damn you.

If you actually get it a US Wii...

Hmm...

I'm really thinking about getting a US Wii though to import games,but what would be the point of me selling my PAL Wii.And I don't wanna sell my PAL one if I get a US one.

Ah well :heh:

I would have both. If i do get his US Wii, i'll keep buying UK games unless theres massive gaps, it's as simple as that. If it's like a 2-3 week delay, i'll get the UK copy. It's funny, i actually prefer buying UK games now..so..i won't be importing loads of games for it, i'd rather wait.

Unless it involves a certain Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime or Brawl.

I would have both. If i do get his US Wii, i'll keep buying UK games unless theres massive gaps, it's as simple as that. If it's like a 2-3 week delay, i'll get the UK copy. It's funny, i actually prefer buying UK games now..so..i won't be importing loads of games for it, i'd rather wait.

Unless it involves a certain Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime or Brawl.

If Mario,Prime or any other big games get delayed over here,especially Brawl,i'm just gonna get a US Wii.All the big games that i'm desperate for (3 above,SPM,BWii,NiGHTS,DQ,FF,Fire Emblem) i'll import and ones I can wait for,i'll get in Europe.

If Mario,Prime or any other big games get delayed over here,especially Brawl,i'm just gonna get a US Wii.All the big games that i'm desperate for (3 above,SPM,BWii,NiGHTS,DQ,FF,Fire Emblem) i'll import and ones I can wait for,i'll get in Europe.

Exactly.

It's getting them cheaper as well which is the big thing for me...obviously not much cheaper but a saving is a saving and if your getting them way advance it's just another added bonus.

Not a great date for Wii owners who want a new game but I've got plenty of games on Xbox 360 and Playstation 2 to play as the moment, as well as SSX Blur and Beyond Good and Evil. So I can wait a couple of months.

I’m now about 7 hours into Super Paper Mario – I guess I did about 30% of the game so far and I thought some of you would be interested in a few impressions.

First of all it’s not so much of a platformer as I expected it to be – but there are still enough platforming elements. Actually Mario isn’t any faster than he was in Paper Mario TYD so progression through the levels doesn’t rival that of Super Mario Bros in terms of speed but because there are quite a few riddles that will have you thinking and exploring a higher pace wouldn’t suit it.

The enemies in the first levels are almost identical to the ones from TYD, even in appearance. Naturally they can be attacked by jumping on them however some have long range weapons or take multiple hits. These long range weapons can be annoying beams but also things that change your status – for instance some enemies put you to sleep or poison you.

Still with a little platforming experience they rarely pose an actual threat, however, if one doesn’t take them seriously (for instance I) they quickly drain your HP. Other than in Super Mario Bros you have quite a lot of HP that get upgraded (+5) every even level.

Leveling up is done by beating enemies. The trick though is that after the attack you jump off the enemy and tilt the Wiimote to do a special move that gets awarded with extra points. As previously said every even level the HP get increased and with every level attack and defence and the likes get increased – I didn’t put too much interested into it though as the enemies get stronger all the same.

However, what is interesting are cards about enemies. You can collect them in the levels, buy them or catch an enemy soul in one. These cards provide not only information about this enemy but the more you possess the more damage you’ll do to that enemy. There's a card for every enemy in the game and some other people as well.

Another source for information is a so called Pixl following you. With the Wiimote you point onto the screen and by pressing A the Pixl will give you some useful information.

Throughout the game you come across many other Pixls that will give you different abilities. For instance a grabbing move to grab distant things, a bomb or something that will make you extremely thin. So they are quite similar to the characters who follow you in TYD in the way you use them

And the comparisons to TYD will not stop now because I’m getting to the graphics. The first town you start in, which is the main town of the game from where you go to the different levels is quite ugly actually and spreads a feeling of certain doom. It really lacks colour and sometimes things look a bit out of place or not detailed enough (however the other levels are as colourful as we are used to from TYD if not a bit more imaginative). I concluded it had something to do with the transition to 3D. For instance there are a lot more fences now and the 3D levels seem a bit dull because there aren’t too many 3D objects but if there were there was no need for 2D apart from filling up your meter to stay in 3D. While in 3D the meter drains and if it reaches 0 you’ll lose one HP.

What I find highly annoying though is that the characters are quite uninspiring actually. All of them have rectangle shapes and look quite ugly therefore but it also captures the feeling of another dimension that way.

The idea of going 3D is pretty brilliant though and is very well executed. Often when you swap to 3D you’ll be surprised what was hidden by other things when in 2D view.

The coolest thing is that in 2D the whole level is flattened. So when for instance in 2D there are 3 ? boxes directly after one another you can all push them but once you go to 3D you notice that they actually can be quite far away from each other but appear to be attached in 2D.

But this can also mean that some secret passages in walls are not visible in 2D which leads to switching between the two dimensions quite often. This can have annoying results though. For instance you think that you stand on a big platform in 2D and when you switch to 3D find out it’s a small ledge and there’s thin air under your feet.

But the developers were kind enough to offer you a moments time do a jump in mid-air and hopefully be able to reach something solid. Normally you don’t fall too far though but still it adds a certain excitement when going to 3D.

The controls in 3D mode are a bit of pain in the arse. A joystick would be quite appreciated especially when trying to stomp enemies. There aren’t too many who are only in 3D though, so you’ll mainly use 3D to avoid enemies and 2D to confront them.

You also have different characters with different abilities that will prove more or less useful against different enemies. There’ll be a total of four but I’m not going to spoil more.

Items are also there as well, many of them known from TYD but so far I didn’t have to use any of them apart from the odd mushroom to recover some HP because they are quite scarce throughout the levels. It’s a bit annoying that you can only carry about ten items with you.

The story also features the same humour we know from TYD and every one of the eight levels is split up into four chapters with two save points per chapter so you can even play it in short burst – but you won’t.

Final thoughts: I can’t help but compare it to TYD and although it does a lot of things differently it feels the same and that is good. The levels are very diverse and imaginative and especially the 3D ideas will give you a few “wow I never thought that could be there†thoughts. Especially after the first chapter it works the Paper Mario charm and manages to really capture you.

All in all a clever mix between Super Mario and Paper Mario that works perfectly and fuses jump’n’run with RPG elements in a brilliant manner. Nintendo at its best.