NEurope
Sarka

Super Paper Mario

Since getting this game, around 50% of the time that I try to play it, the screen goes black and I have to unplug the console once I press 'Start' on the Disc Menu. Has anyone else had that?

Are you sure that Wii isn't just a bit slow? Sometimes my Wii uses a while to load the game(so long that the Wiimote turns off), sometimes it doesn't.

I finally got this game yesterday and I have to say I am enjoying it apart from the VILE sound effect of the text appearing on screen. That is the most irritating sound ever to grace my ears. The intro was barely watchable due to that irritating sound

Yeah, text on screen should not make sound, I agree. One of the things I dreaded at the begining of Zelda TP was that the text now makes noise! In the N64 Zeldas, the text was silent, and when I noticed that in TP it made noise, I was a bit stupified. But fortunately, it was a not that loud, and I was able to get over it.

The text in SPM is a lot louder though... But I think I'll manage it too.

About the update, well, mine didn't update. I don't have Wifi, but I did update my Wii at a neighbour's house so I have version 2.2E, not 3.0 yet.

My Wii firmware is the one before it screws up the freeloader. I got a message from Nintendo the other day to update now :heh:

Also i'm on Chapter 5-3 I think, where you see that archaeologist guy in the cave. Had to use a good few items on the last chapter to beat all those mammoth type monsters, so this might be a toughie completing this chapter.

Though saying that the previous chapter was the second time I used an item.

Those mammoth type monsters are difficult. I always tried to jump on them without missing once. It was a lot harder than I thougth and I think I never made it.

Are you sure that Wii isn't just a bit slow? Sometimes my Wii uses a while to load the game(so long that the Wiimote turns off), sometimes it doesn't.

Yeah, I've sat and waited and it doesn't do anything. Maybe I should try it with another game, to see whether it's just SPM that does it.

Since getting this game, around 50% of the time that I try to play it, the screen goes black and I have to unplug the console once I press 'Start' on the Disc Menu. Has anyone else had that?

Thats happened to me twice aswell. Not sure why.

I've had the black screen thing happen once too. The remote turned off so I rebooted my Wii. It does seem a bit slow to load though, which made me wonder if I'd been a little hasty in rebooting.

You know that high mountain next to the volcano? Jump right above the upper most block to reveal a hidden block. I had problems with this part myself so I had to use the fortune teller.

If you go in 3D mode in the pub(Flipside B1) you will find the Arcade.

Cheers Tales :)

The arcade is pretty awesome. The Boo game is pretty addictive, and the tilt game has a Game and Watch gallery feel to it.

About the wiimote turning off thing... are you guys kidding? The Wiimote turns off after about 5 minutes of inactivity, if your console takes that ammount of time to load a game, it must be faulty. My Wii loads any game I have (including SPM) in about 3 seconds.

My Wii loads games between 3 and 15 seconds, roughly guessed. Above ten seconds and the Wiimote turns of and cannot be turned on before the game is done loading. Also happens with Internet channel sometimes. I don't think it's a huge problem and I doubt the Wii is faulty in any way.

Well, if the Wiimote turns off after 10 seconds only after starting a game, I guess it's not so serious. I thought it was taking you several minutes to load the game.

I just completed the main quest. Quite a nice ending. Time clocked in at 19:28. It that seems long then that's because I usually end up just wondering around for time. I have by no means seen much of the game. I have the Pit of 100 trials to do, I haven't even see the arcade that you have been talking of. then there recipe's and cards to collect.

Yeah has happened occasionally...it isn't a problem with just this, it is one of the wii's "faults"; blackholes....

sometimes happens when going into channels etc...

there is a website somewhere that goes into it...can't remember where...

Those mammoth type monsters are difficult. I always tried to jump on them without missing once. It was a lot harder than I thougth and I think I never made it.

Why don't you use Bowser and burn them to dust?

Generally I found the best combination to beat bosses and harder enemies is Peach because she can shield all the attacks and Bowser to attack because he deals twice the damage other characters do.

Why don't you use Bowser and burn them to dust?

Generally I found the best combination to beat bosses and harder enemies is Peach because she can shield all the attacks and Bowser to attack because he deals twice the damage other characters do.

Because it is less fun and I don't get extra point for it :P

Bowser + Thudley = Quadruple the damage Mario does :indeed:

Yeah has happened occasionally...it isn't a problem with just this, it is one of the wii's "faults"; blackholes....

sometimes happens when going into channels etc...

there is a website somewhere that goes into it...can't remember where...

Yeah, I know, it'd happened a few times before I got SPM, it's just it's happened about 50% of the time since getting the game, that's all.

Im on the final area now ( 8-4 ) and I have to say that I agree with the review in that the 2nd half of the game is really boring. The pacing in certain chapters is all over the place and alot of the time the stages are long and drawn out.*points massive finger at World 7*

I have been enjoying the sidequests more than the main game itself. The recipe chart will keep me going as will the card collecting and I have nearly bought all the maps which takes a hell of alot of coins ( more on that later ). I have finished the 100 Trials on both Flip and Flopside but you have to beat the Flopside Trials TWICE! That is if you want to get all the cards.

The Flopside Trails were quite a challenge even if I am level 100. Also I have the 100 fight Sammy Tournament to do once the game is beat. So, despite having clocked around 17 hours on this already methinks its gonna take another10 to get everything.

For the Coins that I have been collecting heres a great tip which gives you a great amount in a short amount of time.

Use the Return Pipe and then head for world 4 (green door ) and pick level 4-4. Go to the 2nd room and pick the ? block to get a coin flower and then grab them all as the come down. Go into the next room and then just kill all the block pig enemies. Make sure to bounce on them 3 times without falling to the floor and you should get a few more coins. They are 5 of them to kill ( 1 on the roof ) and then use the Return Pipe again and repeat.

Its a great way to get coins if you ar after the Maps or even just to buy cards.

I completed this earlier, and I have to say at a push, to rate it I'd give it 6. I think having a story forced on me that was so poor really did downplay the experience for me. I started out quite enjoying the game, but eventually the gameplay lost its novelty and I was left with a watered-down 2D Mario game.

I think the sidequests could be some of the least interesting in a game. Collecting recipes by making food that is unnecessary, or collecting cards to deal damage to enemies I will probably never face again seems utterly pointless. The 100 battle pits also started to grind and I honestly couldn't find the motivation to complete them.

When I said this game was like a watered-down 2D Mario game, I'm probably referring to the difficulty. Think instead of having 2 hits before death, you have maybe 30. Instead of having to carefully avoid or kill enemies, you can flip or use a plethora of pixls, including infinite bombs to dispose of the enemies. Then instead of praying for a mushroom to come along, you can just use a number of healing items from your bag.

As you can guess, I'm not impressed. I have played Paper Mario games before, but the transition to a more or less proper platformer made me want to compare it to other Mario games. This was just too easy, and at many times, boring!

Ugh...bought this game and have just played it now.

This is...terrible. Bought it because I enjoyed paper mario on the N64, totally different games. I am sure that the new generation of gamers are trying to kill turn based games and this is the result. Total bollocks.

Well, the game may not be what old Paper Mario fans expect, but to call it a terrible game is an overreaction. This is a good game.

Well, the game may not be what old Paper Mario fans expect, but to call it a terrible game is an overreaction. This is a good game.

But a good game that took this long to arrive is not good enough. I would just like to know who at Nintendo came up with these derelict ideas in SPM...Platform, No turn based fighting yet you level up and a squared '3D' mode? What is this? This surely isn't Paper Mario. If you disagree try to understand me; imagine seeing your next Zelda adventure in some platformy Link's Adventure-esque way with little to no immersion.

Though I do like the natural feel of using the wii remote horizontally and like that information feature using the sensor - would make a great Pokedex feature actually...If Nintendo feel like it that is.

What is so special about turn based fighting? I don't get the appeal. To me it's just random hits and you can't defend. Or if you defend you lose your turn to attack... I don't wish to offend anyone but it's rather retarded. Give me real time Zelda type fighting anyday. Of course stomping on foes is not as deep, but it's classic Mario.