NEurope
Sarka

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Reason: Ultimately, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is a huge disappointment. It seems that nothing was learned from the making of Path of Radiance, and as a direct follow-up, Radiant Dawn can't even live up to its predecessor's epic story. The walls of text and unforgiving difficulty level will do nothing but alienate and discourage newcomers and even some veterans, which makes it a game purely for the hardcore crew who are dedicated to the series or the genre--anyone else need not apply.

I've read the review. I can see where they're coming from. From what I've seen, this game is definately not for newcomers.

However, a couple of pointers:

-I can't really comment on the plot, but there's something that I thought was odd. They praise PoR's plot, yet:

For a series known for its detailed backstories (particularly those of its villains), these knavish ruffians, who act like they're evil because it's the new black, are severely underwhelming and disappointing. To Radiant Dawn's credit, the story and quality of villainy do improve later in the game, but chances are you wouldn't give the story long enough to really develop if that's why you were playing it in the first place.

Isn't this PoR's (and most of the Fire Emblem's) plot for the first part of the game?

-They don't like the excessive wall of text. I can understand that.

How do they suggest they solve the problem? Add voice acting.

My question: How can that solve anything?

-Zelda_Rulez said it all. Seriously, if they're suggesting on how to make the game better, I'm glad they're not developers.

Other than those, the review was pretty fair. The lack of better dialogue for supports is something I fear.

And they're right. Fire Emblem is not for newbies.

Also:

Radiant Dawn is easily the most difficult game in the series thus far.

I like this. If it's harder than FE7, great! Hopefully, it's as hard as FE6.

EDIT:

One more thing. It seems that there's a glitch that crashes the game when transfering data. Apparently, the connection is screwed up in the North American version.

Hopefully, they can fix this for the PAL version.

One question:

In Europe this game is called "Fire Emblem: Goddes of Dawn", isn't it?

Probably not. That's the tentative name it had prior to it's release.

Probably not. That's the tentative name it had prior to it's release.
iirc...not even tentative, just a free translation of Akatsuki no Megami of the japanese release.

iirc...not even tentative, just a free translation of Akatsuki no Megami of the japanese release.

Yep, your right. The English version was just known as Fire Emblem until the full title was announced. It'll be Radiant Dawn for the PAL version as well.

They reviewed the game as if a non-gamer was gonna read it, except the final score isn't consistent with it. If I reviewed the game for a non-gamer I'd give it 0.1. It's for absolutely no one BUT the hardcore gamer. Which brings me to my next point.

For a series known for its detailed backstories (particularly those of its villains), these knavish ruffians, who act like they're evil because it's the new black, are severely underwhelming and disappointing. To Radiant Dawn's credit, the story and quality of villainy do improve later in the game, but chances are you wouldn't give the story long enough to really develop if that's why you were playing it in the first place.

They're saying you won't stick around to see how the story turns out. Yet to be a Fire Emblem fan you have to have a very long attention span because the series is EXTREMELY difficult and requires a lot of planning. Gamespot ave completely forgotten who actually plays Fire Emblem. We'd play through the game just for the gameplay, so if the story does end up turning out well then what's the fucking problem?

Gamespot content is fanboy toilet blog worthy material, it just happens to be on a "supposedly" games website.

I'm starting to get worried...what are the odds of it not being released in Europe at all?

How well did PoR do here?

I'm starting to get worried...what are the odds of it not being released in Europe at all?

If it's not released here I'll buy you the US console and game myself.

If the last 3 got a EU release, this one will too.

Also the save transfer bug has been fixed, NoA will be offering a replacement service in December. I guess it is sometimes advantageous to get the game last, as the bug should be fixed for the EU release as well.

If the last 3 got a EU release, this one will too.

Also the save transfer bug has been fixed, NoA will be offering a replacement service in December. I guess it is sometimes advantageous to get the game last, as the bug should be fixed for the EU release as well.

Amen. At least the bug won't bother the Europeans.

Now, how much time will we have to wait?

Hopefully 2-3 months, but this game does have more text than most. I wonder how much time will be lost during the translation.

I still haven't finished Path of Radiance, with a lot of other games to play, I haven't come back to it yet. After finishing Mario might be a good time.

Which characters are returning by the way? Or most of them? I don't think I'll start a new file just to take this into account, but I might as well change a little who I use and how I divide my bonus exp in this playthrough. I have been seriously neglecting Sothe for example, because I read on gamefaqs that ehh the other thief (forgot his name) was generally better..

Which characters are returning by the way? Or most of them? I don't think I'll start a new file just to take this into account, but I might as well change a little who I use and how I divide my bonus exp in this playthrough. I have been seriously neglecting Sothe for example, because I read on gamefaqs that ehh the other thief (forgot his name) was generally better..

Most of them return aside from a few (I think it's just Largo, though).

Also, don't worry about Sothe, he's one of the few that doesn't receive bonuses from save files.

And Sothe is weaker because he can't promote, while Volke can (in PoR, at least).

Nintendo of France has the game listed for release on March 14th 2008. So we should get it at the same time.

Nintendo of France has the game listed for release on March 14th 2008. So we should get it at the same time.

I hope so. Been waiting so long for this game, I'd actually forgotten about it.

I was hoping for it alot sonner seeing as yankee land has had it for a while now. At least it will give me time to go through the Cube FE again.

They better be right. March sounds good.

Gotta play FE9 again.

A question. Does the "Hard Mode" in FE9 still correspond to FE10's "Normal Mode"? If so, I need to replay that Hard Mode.

Ok, now i will not buy this game.

Its really for the veterans on the game, not for the newcomers, and i want a RPG, not an RTS style RPG

Thanks for the link to the review, but Gametrailers only gave it a (a rather Dolby sounding) 5.1 for story...? Does that actually mean that the stroy is a poor one? I thought that Path of Radiance on the GC had an excellent storyline! Well it doesn't matter, this is one game I'm getting regardless of how low the review scores are.

To me this looks and sounds like a classic, I doubt it will fail to impress.

Ok, now i will not buy this game.

Its really for the veterans on the game, not for the newcomers, and i want a RPG, not an RTS style RPG

It's not RTS, it's turn based. But if you don't like strategy in general, nothing can be done.

Thanks for the link to the review, but Gametrailers only gave it a (a rather Dolby sounding) 5.1 for story...? Does that actually mean that the stroy is a poor one? I thought that Path of Radiance on the GC had an excellent storyline! Well it doesn't matter, this is one game I'm getting regardless of how low the review scores are.

To me this looks and sounds like a classic, I doubt it will fail to impress.

I didn't see the GT review, but it seems strange that so many reviews criticise the story. I hope it's just because of the lack of good supports.

EDIT: Just saw the GT review. Their main gripe is the same gripe other reviewers have: too hard/complex. It's fair (Certainly better than those who suggested Miis :heh: ).

I don't mind, really. Hard = Challenging =/= Boredom.

If I have a main gripe with Path of Radiance, it's the lack of difficulty, so a step up in this direction is good for me.

March? Man that's a while away, I was hoping for January since it's been out for a while and I really want this...

Christ Q1/Q2 is gonna be seriously demanding for me. Over 10 games I want T_T

I don't get all the crap about the support system when the game still has them. There's two kinds of support, buddy supports which can occur between any character and boost stats and bond supports which are only between certain characters and have conversations. What's the problem? That's better, if anything.

Yeah Jonnas, I've not really been worried about reading that its too much like previous Fire Emblems, or that its too "hardcore" or too difficult or whatever else. I expect that, but it is strange that the story might be lacking? It is probably spot on though, Path o' Radiance touched on some good themes and I expect this will too.

Just gotta wait it out til around Easter it seems.