NEurope
Sarka

Disaster: Day of Crisis

No PLII? insane... on the 360 all games are Dolby Digital as standard and yet the Wii which is capable of the inferior but still decent PLII then chooses not to support it for a game which would benefit from it? Lazyness...

Also not sure if I agree with the headphones comment, if you have a decent speaker setup then playing with headphones is completely redundant unless your headphones support something thats equal to the audio standard that the game your playing, plus if your playing online and want to use a headset it makes it impossible. :heh:

Back on topic, Disaster looks good but not good enough for me to rush out and pay full price for...

I have no idea.. despite the fact that the game arrived in the post yesterday morning! I'm afraid it is being given to my girlfriend and will remain sealed until Christmas day..

Also not sure if I agree with the headphones comment, if you have a decent speaker setup then playing with headphones is completely redundant unless your headphones support something thats equal to the audio standard that the game your playing, plus if your playing online and want to use a headset it makes it impossible. :heh:

Great headphones are better than most sound systems in my opinion. Way, way better. The sound quality, immersion, details, etc are so much better it's not even funny.

No PLII? insane... on the 360 all games are Dolby Digital as standard and yet the Wii which is capable of the inferior but still decent PLII then chooses not to support it for a game which would benefit from it? Lazyness...

Back on topic, Disaster looks good but not good enough for me to rush out and pay full price for...

And a first party game, no less... Disappointing.

And this is one of those games that really demands PL II, specially with the layers of sfx from those natural disasters, demanding strong lows aswell as highs. Not a deal breaker, and most people don't care because they use the default TV speakers... but meh.

i will be picking this up over the weekend, although the audio news is a near deal breaker.

Also, damn, I don't know how this can be a deal breaker for anyone.

EDIT: Got the game, so far so cool, it's not afraid of being arcade-ish and showing it has inspirations in cheesy Disaster movies. Gameplay is very varied and works very well. Graphics are a mixed bag, some bad textures, some great models, others not so good, nice animations and almost non existant facial expressions. Considering the big city and buildings crumbling, smoke, etc it's understandable.

Also, on the PLII subject, does the game need to have the option to have it, can't it just activate automatically or something?

Also, damn, I don't know how this can be a deal breaker for anyone.

To me it breaks the immersion, like a drop in frame rate or poor collision detection.

Also, on the PLII subject, does the game need to have the option to have it, can't it just activate automatically or something?

Now, Prologic and Prologic 2 are matrixed into a stereo sound- but the a surround track will need to be encoded in Prologic/2. The Wii will output the stereo sound regardless, your equipment (TV, Reciever, etc) will decode and process the sound according to its specification- a stereo tv pipes all left sound to the left speaker, and right to right(and of course centre to centre). Prologic obviously pipes to left, centre, right, and rear. PL2 effectively mimicks Dolby Digital with left, centre, right, rear left, rear right, and a .1 for a sub.

To cut a long story short, it can be automatic, and it can be a selectable option.

Either way, if it includes Dolby PL or PL2 Dolby will be credited somewhere- box, instruction booklet, opening title. So, are they credited?

i totally love this game graph are really good in my opinion gameplay is just awesome i cant wait for their Secret RPG game

Hmm still not convinced on the headphones thing... but they certainly have their place :smile: and as for the lack of PLII, it is something that I would miss as I have a receiver that will decode it, that said though it's still not as good as Dolby Digital which most 360 and PS3 games have as standard.

Yeah I've used headphones a couple of times with this game now, but the problem in doing so is you miss the Wii Remote sounds (which I don't normally care for much, but it's used really well in Disaster icon14.gif). They can be set to play through with the rest of the game audio in the options, but it's just not the same.

Anyway, audio shortcomings aside, this game gets better and better. I got up to and completed stage 12 last night which was beautiful in both visuals and story. At times Disaster has an almost Resi 4 quality to it, stage 12 was definitely one of those times...

All of the ash flying around and the eerie darkness created a great atmosphere. Was cool when Ray collapsed and gets rescued by the girl too, the game is full of cheese in the dialogue/story, but that part was actually really nice I thought.

I have to say I'm really enjoying every aspect of game play in this one, the rescuing, shooting, driving... It's all great. Some of the driving sections can be pretty tricky at times too. I've started using my Wii Wheel for those now, definitely gives you the edge (well, it feels a lot nicer anyway). :heh:

Hmm... Wonder if I should break out the old Zapper for the shooting range? :hehe:

I really hope that no one avoids this game because of the DPLII thing. Yes it's disappointing, but it's really not the end of the world either. At the end of the day there's a great game to be found within Disaster day of crisis, regardless of the audio output. And if you're after something more substantial on Wii it's simply a must have in my book.

I would like to take a moment and thank Reggie for not bringing this to the U.S. I mean with hardcore games like Wii Music and Animal Crossing who needs it :indeed:

Oh well, glad to see you guys are enjoying it :)

Temptation got the better of me and seeing as I had GH3 that I wanted shot of I managed to pick this up after all.

Hope I manage to enjoy it as much as those that have already been playing.

Marcel - Looks like it does contain an update , even worse is the fact that I can't seem to get the alternative Freeloader method to bypass it either. F**kers.

I would like to take a moment and thank Reggie for not bringing this to the U.S. I mean with hardcore games like Wii Music and Animal Crossing who needs it :indeed:

Screw you, now it's your turn to wait!

:P

Welcome to our world. :awesome: I jest. At least you've got those Art Style games and World of Goo on WiiWare to enjoy.

Welcome to our world. :awesome: I jest. At least you've got those Art Style games and World of Goo on WiiWare to enjoy.

And Trauma Centre 2

And Trauma Centre 2

Nintendo are publishing that at the start of November in Europe.

Nintendo are publishing that at the start of November in Europe.

And it was published in the USA on 17th November 2007.

I went to GAME, HMV and Whsmith's today and they didn't have the game, didn't have time to check any other stores though.

Thank god I'm partially def then.

XD

Dude, saying that plus looking at your avatar just cracked me up! (no offence)

Ah crap didn't realise this game came with a required update to 3.3, evil bastards....well least i've been reseraching the homebrew channel as a means to play my imported ToS2 which should be here in a few weeks.

Anyway, loving the game at the moment, just beat the chopper pilot guy and took a break for dinner.

Is there anyone here that used the FreeLoader method to install the firmware update?

Also Franklin, there's been reports that if you haven't already installed the homebrew channel, you can't after the update.

Is there anyone here that used the FreeLoader method to install the firmware update?

Not successfully here , but you may have sussed that already :heh: .

Bit strange though -

Tried the alternative method plenty of times but it kept on insisting on the update so I very reluctantly caved in. Afterwards the Wii was still on 3.2 so I thought I may have been OK and that the update only installed the required components.

Tried the Freeloader again and it just wouldn't work.

So tried Disaster DoC and then it insisted on another update , which took the Wii to 3.3 before it would finally play the disc.

By my reckoning , Nintendo knew people were using the 'alternative method' to bypass the updates and they rather sneakily managed to dupe the Freeloader disc into thinking it was installing a harmless update.

On topic , have played the opening 3 missions and am really enjoying this. High production values (barring the sound issues), decent story , solid controls and seems to have a decent degree of replay value.

Whether it was worth blocking my Freeloader for remains to be seen , probably not though.