NEurope
elitemario

OMG Sony did it

Actually Nintendo did us anologue sticks first. And you gotta face it, it's but much calling the Wiimote a "Gimmick" and then shoehorning the same idea half-assed into a dualshock. Two analogue sticks isn't exactly the greatest innovation ever either - the probably only did it to make the original PS1 pad look symmetrical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

History

In 1982 Atari released the first controller with an "analog" stick for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

For many years, consoles ignored analog technology, instead using the digital D-pad. It wasn't until the emergence of 3D gameplay that the analog stick was brought back for widespread use.

As a non fanboy who will buy a PS3, I think the new pad looks shite. I hate my DS2, and replaced it with a Logitech Wireless. Sony should have bought the design from Logitech, and used it for the PS3.

"In 1996 Nintendo introduced a modern analog stick on their Nintendo 64 controller."

>sarcastic clapping<

"In 1996 Nintendo introduced a modern analog stick on their Nintendo 64 controller."

>sarcastic clapping<

A newer version of older technology. Keep on clapping.

Anyone wants a laugh?

Check the 1up Podcast (http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/050806.mp3).

Just as I thought, anyone who isn't a blind Sony fanboy was REALLY impressed by the Sony conference, their price (apparently the cheapest SKU doesn't have several functionalities), the games showed, the pathetic attempt to copy Nintendo, it was a wonderful conference (I watched it myself, and the crowds reaction was surely what they expected... :laughing:).

If Nintendo delivers an agressive conference (Reggie, if there's a time to kick ass and take names it's this one!), they will surely leave E3 in a much better place than they are now. Even Microsoft can use Sony's really lame conference to gain significant market from the people who were waiting to see the PS3 before making up their minds.

Personally, if I were Nintendo, I would start the conference by showing their "newest" controller, a Gamecube pad (or even better, a NES pad) and I would start tilting it like an idiot, only to say something like "wrong company"... :D

EDIT:Somehow, this is even more delicious then Sony knicking Nintys ideas -

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/e3blog.html?topic_id=24600407

hehe, funny I was going to say I have a tilt sensor gamepad for PC and this is exactly the gamepad I have (the Logitec one).

I also used the tilt sensor a bit in games and must say it's a giant piece of crap. Hard to find the neutral position and moving precisely or aiming is next to impossible.

When I read that the PS3 pad has tilt sensors I wasn't too surprised that they had to "steal" something, however, I was amused that they chose such an "interesting" technology.

But I fully understand now why Ninty wasn't to keep everything under wraps.

I have lost what little respect i had left for Sony. Classless, thieveing bastards! Blatantly copying someones else great innovative idea and shamelessly passing it off as your own. Thats low, very low... At least its a lousy implementation and will be nothing compared to what the wiimote can do. Other than that fact, this whole act is despicable.

lol, this is hilarious...this is from the Gamespot hands-on with the controller:

"One thing you won't find in this new controller is force feedback. The rumble feature was said to interfere with the motion sensing devices. Sony's Phil Harrison even went so far as to tell us that "rumble was last generation, movement is this generation."

Dya know what? I think Nintendo knew this would happen. They knew it would.

Microsoft have got to be the ones thinking "SHIT"!!

Thay are the only manfacturer NOT to have a tilt sening controller. They know Nintendo have one, and that its tons better than sonys one. MS now have to get their thumbs out of their a-holes and get the same kinda device out there.

Nintendo were right - motion sensing IS the new standard

NINTENDO OWNS ONCE AGAIN!!

Mikey, stop talking garbage.

the atari stick was not fully analogue, as in it didn't detect in a good way how far you were pushing it etc.

Sony only put in 2 analogue sticks after looking at the c-buttons on the n64 pad, the obvious evolution of that is another analogue stick.

SONY HAVE STOLE EVERYTHING, ACCEPT IT

True, but i think it's just they way they have put a motion sensor in a controller after Nintendo unveiled something better but along the lines!

It's basically having no-idea, so copying others.

I think the Playstation 3 is going to be a good console, of course it will be. At $600USD it will be a perfect Playstation. The tilting is quite cool, but it isn't the same as the Wii remote, not even close.

You can't recreate swinging a sword with the PS3 controller, you can't point and fire a gun with the PS3 controller, you can't use the PS3 controller as a tennis racket - and isn't that the whole point of the Wii controller? That you can.

No doubt about it, the PS3 controller will be good for some things, but the Wii remote does so much more this does nothing to lessen Nintendo's thunder.

At least I have to give it to Sony, the conference was awesome. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard... :D

Seriously, if you guys heard them speak about how great and successful the UMD format is, how the PSP is selling (ops, I mean Shipping; yes, all their info was for SHIPPED units) faster than the PS and PS2, not to mention they started the conference by saying they weren't about "gimmicks", only to later show the fricking pathetic remote and say they were always innovating!!! :laughing:

God, it's incredible how cynical and mediocre these guys can be. Now I understand why the PS and PS2 is a success, it's probably the same reason why Michael Bay keeps making movies: there sure is a lot of dumb people who really loves fireworks.

I used to buy pretty much every console on the market (not only I bought Nintendo consoles, but I also own pretty much every Sega console (even the GameGear, and add-ons like the 32X and MegaCD), not to mention other consoles), and I never bought a Sony console. I never had a good impression on these guys, but I watched last night's conference expecting them to convince me otherwise (maybe I was being unfair) and maybe buy a PS3 (mainly because I wanted to play Sega's Yakuza game for the PS2). After what I've saw they won't get a cent from me.

The conference was a total bomb. It was badly set-up, very few decent games were shown, the comments that were made were hilarious and then the whole fact that they had to ask the auidence to clap was just a joke.

I cant wait to hear the crowds reaction to Nintendos games especially Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros!

Mikey, stop talking garbage.

the atari stick was not fully analogue, as in it didn't detect in a good way how far you were pushing it etc.

Sony only put in 2 analogue sticks after looking at the c-buttons on the n64 pad, the obvious evolution of that is another analogue stick.

SONY HAVE STOLE EVERYTHING, ACCEPT IT

It was still analogue. Technology improves over time, of course it wasn't gonna be as good as the N64's one. There was another analog stick after the Atari one which improved on the technology for example. You need to get off Nintendo's nob, really. Your comparison of the C buttons and second analog stick is a joke by the way.

Doesn't Wii have DVD movie play back? Yep, was first used on the PS2. How about analog triggers on a pad? Didn't they make their first appearance on the Dreamcast? Stop thinking everything Nintendo comes up with is original, it isn't. They've ripped off plenty.

Mikey,

Nintendo havent riped off EVERYTHING...........

$ony have.

Thats the difference.

Nintendo innovate, $ony duplicate

Didn't they make their first appearance on the Dreamcast?

Nope. First trigger was in N64 controller.

It was still analogue. Technology improves over time, of course it wasn't gonna be as good as the N64's one. There was another analog stick after the Atari one which improved on the technology for example. You need to get off Nintendo's nob, really. Your comparison of the C buttons and second analog stick is a joke by the way.

Doesn't Wii have DVD movie play back? Yep, was first used on the PS2. How about analog triggers on a pad? Didn't they make their first appearance on the Dreamcast? Stop thinking everything Nintendo comes up with is original, it isn't. They've ripped off plenty.

i will only give you one point there. Sony did use/make the first pressure sensitive buttons, and i think they are great. that is all thou.

The c-buttons and sony's second stick is not a joke. It was the obvious way to go, simple as that.

The conference was a total bomb. It was badly set-up, very few decent games were shown, the comments that were made were hilarious and then the whole fact that they had to ask the auidence to clap was just a joke.

I cant wait to hear the crowds reaction to Nintendos games especially Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros!

i'd agree... and the response on the web has been that sony has lost it big time with the direction they are taking...

not to mention criticising microsoft all last year for having two versions on the 360 on sale....

anyway... the ball is in nintendos court now... and microsoft will easily be able usurp the mediocre sony conference if it has just a few big name titles on the way - which we already know it does.

It was inevitable, that's just how Sony works. It's annoying, but it's clearly a last minute addition while Nintendo's FHC has been in development for years, so it will clearly be superior.

Mikey,

Nintendo havent riped off EVERYTHING...........

$ony have.

Thats the difference.

Nintendo innovate, $ony dulicate

Um, they haven't ripped off everything at all. They've actually introduced many things to gaming like I've already mentioned. Dual analog sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, dvd movie play back, dvd as game storage, Blu Ray as a game storage, backwards compatibility as standard.

Game companies rip each other off all the time, it's not new, the only difference here, is that you're all anti Sony and pro Nintendo.

Nope. First trigger was in N64 controller.
Analogue triggers I meant.

i will only give you one point there. Sony did use/make the first pressure sensitive buttons, and i think they are great. that is all thou.

The c-buttons and sony's second stick is not a joke. It was the obvious way to go, simple as that.

Then why didn't Sega use them for their Dreamcast, and why didn't Nintendo give the N64 pad dual sticks? Your argument makes no sense.

Um, they haven't ripped off everything at all. They've actually introduced many things to gaming like I've already mentioned. Dual analog sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, dvd movie play back, dvd as game storage, Blu Ray as a game storage, backwards compatibility as standard.

Game companies rip each other off all the time, it's not new, the only difference here, is that you're all anti Sony and pro Nintendo.

Analogue triggers I meant.

backwards comp = megadrive / master system and gamegear / master system

dvd games a sony invention? err... the pc had them first.

do you work for phil harrison or something?

anyway... sony are a laughing stock today. not a single website is calling the conference amazing or the details good. except sony's own. which i presume you wrote.

i here sony also invented 'the moon' and 'gravity'

i wouldnt say 4 shoulder buttons is anything close to an innovation, its more like an annoyance

backwards comp = megadrive / master system and gamegear / master system

dvd games a sony invention? err... the pc had them first.

do you work for phil harrison or something?

anyway... sony are a laughing stock today. not a single website is calling the conference amazing or the details good. except sony's own. which i presume you wrote.

I said as standard. Could you put Master System games in to a Mega Drive with out a connector? If you could, I don't remember it

I meant Sony were the first to use the media for a games console.

People's arguments against Sony here are nothing more than hypocritical fanboy drivel.

"The next-gen starts when we say it'll start."

That's one helluva arrogant and stupid line even from Fony. The whole Fony press conference was extremely lame with nothing new to offer besides some rip-offs. I hope this truly is the beginning of the end for Fony.

Its the fact that Sony called it all gimmicky and then took the idea after mocking it. Also this guy on Gamefaqs sums it up nicely for me as I have grown up with Nintendo console all my life

Because people love an underdog. Most people don't seriously see Nintendo or the Wii as a threat to Sony. Nintendo is down, after what happened in the previous two generations, and this move gives the impression of Sony standing over them and kicking them repeatedly.

Sony doesn't need to crush Nintendo, at least, not at this time - yet they feeled compelled to. Just as they apperantly felt compelled to target and decimate Sega with outright lies and false promises of the PS2. Sega was no serious threat to Sony either...

Many of us oldschool gamers have already seen one of our classic companies fall - and I don't think they want to see it happen again. That's why this is a low blow for Sony... because they don't need to try to steal Nintendo's thunder... yet they're doing it anyhow just because they feel they can