NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

Does anyone know how the battle system works in XIII? I couldn't get into XII because I hated the battle system, I only played a few hours and had to knock it off. I much prefer the turnbased system from the older RPGs ( probably why I adore Blue Dragon on the 360 ) so I hoping that it features in some way in this game.

I think the battle system is more like X's but much faster.

To add to Solos reply, I was reading some impressions from Jeremy Parish and he likened the system to that of X-2.

Originally Posted by Jeremy Parish

Like I said in my preview, there's a lot of FFX-2 here: The pacing, the overlapping actions, the need for teamwork, the ability to change classes immediately in the thick of battle. But FFXIII also incorporates the need for strategy that I loved in FFX and a tactical element of indirect party control similar to FFXII.

Yeah, there's a mention of XII but hopefully its not a deal breaker for you, H-o-T!

The full article at The Grind can be found here.

Japans Media Create Dec 14 - 20

01. / 00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.501.964 / NEW

02. / 01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 567.890 / 1.933.827 (+32%)

03. / 03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 165.575 / 2.089.946 (+62%)

04. / 06. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 111.454 / 3.339.872 (+49%)

05. / 08. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 92.561 / 1.201.258 (+44%)

06. / 13. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 71.085 / 808.000

07. / 09. [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 70.750 / 191.920 (+23%)

08. / 11. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5) - 54.128 / 496.000

09. / 07. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 50.466 / 411.565 (-32%)

10. / 00. [PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai) - 49.728 / NEW

|System |  This Week  |  Last Week  |     YTD     |      LTD     |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  NDS  |    183.347  |    137.566  |  3.765.844  |  28.885.479  |
|  PS3  |    237.086  |     75.086  |  1.654.012  |   4.276.480  |
|  WII  |    191.915  |    135.898  |  1.747.238  |   9.226.215  |
|  PSP  |     82.454  |     74.962  |  2.138.178  |  13.496.281  |
|  360  |      8.965  |     10.646  |    366.868  |   1.196.305  |
|  PS2  |      2.982  |      2.463  |    202.878  |  21.602.407  |
| DSiLL |     75.241  |     58.006  |    354.837  |     354.837  |
|  DSi  |     95.227  |     68.184  |  2.901.142  |   4.132.501  |
|  DSL  |     11.879  |     11.376  |    509.868  |  17.812.673  |
|  PSP  |     79.194  |     71.885  |  2.070.518  |  13.428.621  |
| PSPgo |      3.260  |      3.077  |     67.660  |      67.660  |

Great first week sales for the game. I've got more excited for it now that it's phsyically out somewhere in the world. Roll on March.

Final Fantasy XIII 'the biggest swindle in history'

160046-ff.jpg

A Hong Kong magazine has featured a review of Final Fantasy XIII, and it's one of the most damning reviews of all time. We don't normally post stories about another outlet's review content, but this is too amazing to ignore. Calling Final Fantasy XIII the "biggest joke of 2009" and a huge swindle is something worth seeing.

"The game is complete linearity until the open areas near the end. You can't even backtrack," writes the reviewer. "Of all the RPGs I've played in recent years, this is the first which has been so linear that it's little more than riding an amusement park ride."

The combat system was torn to shreds as well: "A button mashing puzzle game with no real strategy or RPG elements and a plethora of annoying features, game as a whole is little more than a digital novel of sorts. For such a game to approach 2 million copies sold must be due solely to the strength of the Final Fantasy brand ... biggest swindle in gaming history ... biggest joke of 2009."

The game received a 4/10 in the score department:

Scenario
: 2.0 — "An epic tear jerker"

System
: 1.0 — "Such a crude system barely warrants being called an RPG at all."

Graphics
: 9.0 — "Full marks here."

Sound
: 7.0 — "Mostly quality."

Enthusiasm
: 1.0 "As if you could play this for 100 hours! I could put up with 8."

Total
: 4.0 — "To think it got this bad…"

No idea how you can get a 2.0 for something considered an "epic tear jerker," but there you go. Apparently the review was so intense and surprising that even the magazine issued a disclaimer calling the journalist in question a "non-gamer" and "borderline-retarded." So yeah, if you value the opinion of retarded non-gamers in Hong Kong, steer clear of Final Fantasy XIII!

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiii-the-biggest-swindle-in-history--160046.phtml

I heard it wasn't great but this is amazing. :heh:

LOL at the last bit. Imagine your managers calling you 'borderline retarded'! That would be quite crushing.

Final Fantasy can't be THAT bad surely?

Looking at Final Fantasy 10, I could believe that

I've been reading it's a bit of a step back from XII. Looks much more like X, which, wasn't bad I guess.

I've been reading it's a bit of a step back from XII. Looks much more like X, which, wasn't bad I guess.

To me, X was the game that sealed the Final Fantasy franchise for me to never get hyped, but look at it and perhaps a year after it's out get it.

XII WAS the right direction and so wished Matsuno had his way of making the game rather then him leaving halfway through development.

The review is most likely right funny enough, from what I heard, no Inn, A linear story, no exploration, shitty story, like only 2 towns in the whole game, dull characters etc etc...

As someone who's only ever played Final Fantasy VII I never get the references to others in the series.

...but, seriously, two towns, no exploration?

?

:(

As someone who's only ever played Final Fantasy VII I never get the references to others in the series.

...but, seriously, two towns, no exploration?

?

:(

Yeah, from what I heard it's linear for the first half of the game, it's very story focused, and this is from the same people that made the shitty story of FFVIII, FFX and FFX-2. So yeah I am not even going to bother hiring the game, rather spend my money on something else.

At least if it's more story focussed it'll be more interesting than XII. That game really was like strolling around a ghost town with a soulless cast of characters.

Fingers crossed Versus is actually the game everyone's been waiting for.

I'm sure if Versus is the best game ever made you will find something to claim it's the worst ever >_>

Well since everyone testing XIII at SquEx aren't saying good things about it, I'll trust them.

Versus looks slick.

At least if it's more story focussed it'll be more interesting than XII. That game really was like strolling around a ghost town with a soulless cast of characters.

I couldn't get on with XII myself, whilst I quite enjoyed X, so I'm staying open minded about XIII, I'll probably buy it.

AT least XII had the choice of having freedom, thats one of the main reasons why I hate FFX is because of how straight forward it is. Plus this is a story made by Kitase, a man who makes the Twilight books look good

this is from the same people that made the shitty story of FFVIII, FFX and FFX-2.

Really? Ugh I hated the design/look of VIII and X, and limited to no exploration? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!

I still want to play it though.

AT least XII had the choice of having freedom, thats one of the main reasons why I hate FFX is because of how straight forward it is. Plus this is a story made by Kitase, a man who makes the Twilight books look good

Um. X definitely has one of the better stories of the series. Well at least the people making Tales of Symphonia thought so.

Edit: Also Kitase doesn't write much anymore - he mainly produces these days. He did direct VII and VI though. Not a bad track record really. Certainly more respectable than that of Stephanie Meyer.

Edited by McMad

Really? Ugh I hated the design/look of VIII and X, and limited to no exploration? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!

I still want to play it though.

For the record it even has the exact same Director as Final Fantasy X-2 as well. Oh boy!

FFXII didn't really have much freedom...you still had to get to point X on the map (usually the end room of the dungeon) in order to the defeat the boss and progress with the story. It just so happened that the maps tended to have more branches and side areas...but this often amounted to great annoyance.

What X lacked in freedom, it more than made up in charm and characters. And let's face it, that's what undoubtedly has defined previous FF games...

Auron was an awesome, awesome character, as were some of the others. They were at least fleshed out (e.g. Wakka, Tidus, Yuna), and Seymour was also pretty interesting. XII...the characters were pretty bland and there wasn't much game time dedicated to their personalities/stories. It had decent gameplay, but it felt nothing like a Final Fantasy.