NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

Yes everyone on here represent the whole 2 million people that have bought the game. I agree so much now, I see the evidence everywhere. Ignore all the people who don't like the game, they haven't played it the right way it should.

Ohhh you did not just say that. So you want a fair reflection of far more gamers?

Wikipedia snippet:

Famitsu rated the game at 39/40, with three reviewers giving the maximum 10/10 and one reviewer giving 9/10.[95] Worldwide the game has shipped 5 million copies.[112] Dengeki praised especially the battle system, stating that the battles are by far the most exciting in the series, and concluded Final Fantasy XIII deserved a score of 120, and that 100 would not be enough.[107] The game was voted as the second best game of 2009 in Dengeki online's reader poll,[113] and in January 2010, was voted the best game ever in Famitsu's reader poll.[114]

These would be friends who own a game store, friends who have loved RPG's their whole life, friends who have good taste in games, one loves FFVII the most, another loves FFIX the most, another loves Secret of Mana the most and another who thinks Mass Effect is the greatest gift from God. And another loves Chrono Trigger. All these people have thought and asked why a FF like this is well...boring.(Oh and we are all hyped for Monster Hunter 3 and Red Dead Redemption as well)

If they're anything like you then they likely have niche tastes (very likely, actually, given some of them think the best games are somewhat retro). Given games are so much cheaper online, I don't consider owning a games shop to be worth anything, really. Smart people won't be going there.

may as well put my thoughts on a game I BOUGHT with my own money. I have a right to say what I think of all these games, I wasted hours of my life on these...games.

Yes...you may post your view. But there is no need to keep reiterating your pointless negativity in a topic where every time someone praises it you argue against them, and don't like the fact that others recognise it as a great game.

Ugh...where do I start...

Tales Of series

You constantly berate the FF series for being too similar but praise the series with the most recycled content (battle system, storylines, character personalities, etc). Seriously, the battle system doesn't ever even try to change with each game. Combine that with the cheesiest stories known to man. I like a couple of Tales games, but that's really all I could play before I found each installment too similar (and let's not forget- Tales of Legendia was a massive turd).

Chrono Cross

Your argument is flawed, just like the story in FFVIII

Funny that- Chrono Cross's story is enormously flawed (mostly because of time paradoxes). Yet it doesn't stop you thinking it's a great game - seeing the error of your ways yet?

It's just that the Final Fantasy games like VIII, X and XIII can't even come close enough to being as good as these games I have high standards for good games, FF series does not make it (Wait I should take that back, FFXI and XII are good games)

As I have said before...the majority disagree with you. You didn't like it, most people did. Big deal. But FFXI...really? Ok.

But those are shit, just because games that come out around the same time are shit does not mean a game like FF series can get away from being crap.

Again...look up the term 'average'. It's a term that generates the 'middle' score relative to all the games there are. And it's easily far, far above your average game.

I am not even going to bother with this statement, I feel like my IQ went down by a lot...need to play some chess now to see if I can get them back.

Yep blud. Play chess to increase your INT stat some more. Then come back here and post some more drivel to decrease it again.

Edited by Sheikah

Ive spent about 3 hours with this admittedly lovely game.

Im torn about the Tales-esque battle system. On the one hand, the battles are quick and dirty, but on the other hand i feel like a 5th wheel while the game plays itself.

You can literally close your eyes, hold UP, and press X every so often and make considerable progress here.

Love the battle music and mmmm HD fireworks. I actually like Vanille's voice too, as jarring as it is at first

You can literally close your eyes, hold UP, and press X every so often and make considerable progress here.

Yeah, but that's the first 3 hours. Expect some more of this for about 2 or 3 hours. After that: pay attention to your HP and try to find tactics for some enemies (especially bosses).

Palumpolum (what a stupid name). Loved it when the game told me to avoid certain monsters that might not be beatable with only 2 characters. Fought them all

:D The only one I couldn't beat was the Wyvern.

Edited by drahkon

Best chapter so far, the cut scene where Snow enters with Fang was quality and then the character and story progression with Snow and Hope, and then with Snow and Lightning. Top stuff. Longest chapter so far as well, with some challenging yet fun bosses.

What the deuce, 8 is incredibly short... Kind of cliff hanger end, but seriously that was a poor chapter, especially after how quality 7 was.

Edited by Ramar

Mechanically speaking this is easily the best JRPG I've ever played. It's like they auditioned all the tropes of the genre and each time the opening question was, "Is it fun?"

Dying and losing loads of progress isn't fun, let's throw in a retry option. Not being able to save for hours on end is annoying, let's make sure there are regular save points. Having to manage your HP and MP between battles stops people from experimenting, let's make each fight a self-contained and balanced challenge. And so on, and so on.

There's certainly things I dislike about the game and areas in which I think it could improve, but XIII really gives the middle finger to anyone suggesting the series isn't relevant any more.

loving this game currently on chapter 9 the battle system is so much fun and rewarding

sometimes wish they would travel together and choose who can be the 3 in the team thou.

I'm also loving the battle system, yet everything else (running around the field etc) just isn't that great. It really is too linear and I miss adventuring to random towns, mingling with the locals.

I hope they go for a more traditional angle (or a radical change around) for the inevitable sequel (XV).

Seriously, no Final fantasy game has ever been perfect. So in the end, you can only agree you have different opinions you aren't likely to change, move on please.

Chapter 9 and finally gotten the whole gang together. I have to admit my surprise is starting to fade and finding this game isn't going to be a favorite of mine in the series, but not hating it.

Concern on both versions of the game, PS3's breaking and Disc 3 unable to read on an isolated number of PS3 and 360 versions.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Concern on both versions of the game, PS3's breaking and Disc 3 unable to read on an isolated number of PS3 and 360 versions.

Well there isn't a third disc for PS3 versions. Unless you mean something else?

I'm finally about 2/3hours into this and I'm not entirely sure what to think.

On the one hand I actually quite like the way the story is heading, its interesting enough, the cut-scenes aren't boring and I love the characters.

But the battle system? ARGH, I don't know why I can't get on with it, but its starting to really piss me off already, its incredibly easy to use which is good, but really like Pit-Jr mentioned you can easily look away from the screen and still kill things with 5 stars.

I just don't feel like I'm playing all that much, sure I run around and shoot things, but when I played 7, 8,9 10 even 12 I felt like I was a complete part of the battle

system, here I just feel like I shouldn't even bother.

That being said I do really like the game, it seems interesting, but I wish I'd waited and not forked out the £40.

I'm finally about 2/3hours into this and I'm not entirely sure what to think.

On the one hand I actually quite like the way the story is heading, its interesting enough, the cut-scenes aren't boring and I love the characters.

But the battle system? ARGH, I don't know why I can't get on with it, but its starting to really piss me off already, its incredibly easy to use which is good, but really like Pit-Jr mentioned you can easily look away from the screen and still kill things with 5 stars.

I just don't feel like I'm playing all that much, sure I run around and shoot things, but when I played 7, 8,9 10 even 12 I felt like I was a complete part of the battle

system, here I just feel like I shouldn't even bother.

That being said I do really like the game, it seems interesting, but I wish I'd waited and not forked out the £40.

After that many hours, it's still gonna be like that. As The game gets a lot more challenging in about another 1-2 hrs depending on how fast you have been progressing.

One way to look at it is that for a lot of time, you could not even upgrade your characters properly so that whole time is like some giant tutorial just spread out.

It gets a heck of a lot better. :grin:

Has anyone ever heard the actionbutton.net podcast review of FFVII ? It's one of the best hatchet jobs I've ever heard- all delivered in a faux Patrick Bateman voice ala his review of Huey Lewis and The News. I looked for it online but to no avail so far. a shame- it's gold.

It starts off (too) slow, presumably to accommodate those that have never really played an RPG before. All I can really say is that there is no way in hell you'll continue to 5-star battles like that once you get further in, the game is just overbearingly protective to start with; I imagine the next game in the series will offer players more scope to screw up right from the off.

In some ways the combat has more in common with something like Bayonetta than a traditional Final Fantasy. The actual abilities you're using are more of a secondary consideration — auto-battle isn't just an easy mode, it's really useful even when you know what you're doing — the primary focus being on the Paradigm you're in and the timing of attacks. Later on juggling enemies in the air becomes a key tactic, at which point unleashing your attacks in between the volleys of your teammates — and judicial use of interrupts and move cancelling, using Triangle/Y and Circle/B, respectively — become the key to a good star rating.

It's a real shame the game takes so long to introduce all the mechanics as it highlights the lack of extraneous activities like talking to NPCs and other busywork. Largely that sort of player agency is purely illusory, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of smoke and mirrors if it makes for a more enjoyable experience. If the pacing of tutorials had remained exactly the same whilst also offering up some form of sideline content to keep veteran fans distracted, I don't think the A-to-B nature of early areas would be raising nearly as much ire as it has; it's no more linear FFX, really, and the shock value of chapter 11 is almost worth all the preceding linearity.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Versus turns out. It would seem they're already reacting to fan criticisms of vanilla XIII; we know there will be an overworld of some description, although it could be anything between X's cursor-driven map and XII's interconnected third-person fields.

LOL Odin just owned my ass in seconds! This usually never happens to me in the FF series. Time to regroup and re-think my strategy....admittedly i forgot to set up an important paradigm.

Potentially major FFXIII freezing problem

Anyone noticed anything like this then?

Pfffft no problems here. Read the text then went to look at the pretty screenshots although the text below did make me chuckle, but it could be true...

It is possible, then, that this issue has only affected a certain batch of discs, or is the result of the game's popularity causing many gamers to boot up dusty systems which were about to crap out anyway (though that theory is a stretch).

I've not noticed any issues, which usually with games like Fable 2 I encounter quite a lot.

Aimless, thankyou! I do hope it turns out alot better, I have no faith in it whatsoever right now!

Sometimes if I've farted about on the menus for a long time it takes a tad longer returning to the game, more like a slight delay not freezing.

Sometimes if I've farted about on the menus for a long time it takes a tad longer returning to the game, more like a slight delay not freezing.

Is this after changing party members? If so I think that's just the game loading in the new models.

I didn't have any problems during my playthrough which came in at around 45 hours; I've still got a fair chunk of post-credits things to do but I'm putting the game to one side so I can finish Yakuza 3. I'd be tempted to chalk the issue up to general hardware issues, such as Blu-ray diode failure. The only thing that can be said for sure is that I never want to read a Games Radar article ever again.

Is this after changing party members? If so I think that's just the game loading in the new models.

I didn't have any problems during my playthrough which came in at around 45 hours; I've still got a fair chunk of post-credits things to do but I'm putting the game to one side so I can finish Yakuza 3. I'd be tempted to chalk the issue up to general hardware issues, such as Blu-ray diode failure. The only thing that can be said for sure is that I never want to read a Games Radar article ever again.

I think it is just loading and stuff, but I've not got to the point of being able to switch members.

Decided to stop playing this game now, I really don't see the point...as a matter of fact, just like a terrible book I read in my old english class that makes me from stop reading for a bit, FFXIII has now made me stop playing games for a while...I think I need it too to be honest. So I am leaving this thread for now...so now you can all gloat about how awesome the game is while ignoring the flaws of the game ;)

I still enjoyed the game, I found it...average, which is never a bad thing. So I agree with Edges's score, it does deserve a 5, it's a game for casuals and hardcore RPG fans. the characters are very meh and average, the story is very predictable and very simple (Perhaps on the trying too hard to make something sound really complex when it's not).

music is dull and boring, and the lyrics on the chocobo song sucks donkey balls...if it should have lyrics it should have this song.

May as well put in what I would love in a Final Fantasy game while I am here.

No Nomura

Move him over to the Kingdom Hearts series or something for a while, I wouldn't mind seeing a Final Fantasy game have no Nomura artwork for once.

Yoshitaka Amano style should be created into the game for once in full glorious HD/SD whatever 3D anyway.

I would love to see his style be truly be created into the game if anything he truly creates the best artwork when it comes to a fantasy style, heck make it cel-shaded or something, just bring his artwork to life.

No Kitase team.

Have a fresh new team with perhaps Yasunori Mitsuda as the composer and Masato Kato as the writer for the game. It would feel fresh yet to magical in a fantasy way, those two guys know what they can do.

No FMV's/CGI (Whatever you call it, but you know what I am talking about)

It's so 1998, I would love to see everything in-game for all cutscene. Wait, I take that back, only the opening should really have it and the reast be in-game. Would be awesome to see an intro as epic as this.

A WORLD TO EXPLORE!!!

Yeah, I want to see a world (Perhaps even one country) in a style kind of like Zelda or Dragon Quest, everything is the same size. No big guy and a town for midgets world map.

Make the story interesting

Only 2 games have ever made me think, Chrono Cross and Baten Kaitos Origins, you may have good intentions, but it makes you sometimes wonder if you are doing the right thing, both of these games even go to the lengths of asking you if you truly are the good guy or the bad guy, shit like this makes me more amazed then dull boring characters saving the world. I want games to feel mature, none of the modern day final fantasy games have grasped that maturity.

I guess what I want is something magical, the magic to Final Fantasy for me is really dying in the modern ones. This post ain't trying to have a go at any modern Final Fantasy games, but where is the magic in the games I once knew and loved? That's why I loved the older Final Fantasy so much was because of the magic that it was able to produce within the game, but now...it just feels dull...boring, it's not because the older games were old school, if they were set in the future I would still love them dearly. The modern Final Fantasy games feel like it has no soul within the games.

Well, thats all I have to say, you can nit-pick everything I said there and say how I am wrong and so fourth, but I don't care now. I ain't going to come to this thread anymore since I have no reason too. (Until I decide to play FFXIII again and who knows when thats going to happen)

byez

As preachy/whiny as that sounds I pretty much agree with you.

(and I am also enjoying FFXIII but not on the level of previous installments)

So I am leaving this thread for now...so now you can all gloat about how awesome the game is while ignoring the flaws of the game ;)

You're a pleb, most people who have complemented the game have highlighted that it has flaws and is far from perfect. Thank god you're not coming back in this thread because you evidently aren't reading what people are posting.

I'm not surprised he doesn't like the game. Just look at his previous posts in the thread(the search option), it's quite obvious he made up his mind about the game way before he bought it.

The funny thing about it, is the fact that I feel like it's going to be shit, it's going to be good...if that makes sense.

Buuut it's a Team Kitase game with a linear gameplay, lame story and lame...

Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2 had lame characters and a lame story, so coming from the same team I am guessing it's going to be the same. Plus from the people that have been playing it they have been saying how it's not as good as the characters from Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2. Plus the trailers also prove my point in taste as it's sooooo over-dramatic.

Well what you stated is exactly what FFXIII will be all about, a linear game with no freedom, so if you like a type of game that has a real animu story in it, then you will love it I guess.

Well tomorrow it's out in Australia, I'll be hiring out the game since I am in need of a comedy flick. Why buy something worth $120 when I can hire it for $10 and spend the other $110 on something liiiiiiiiike Blazblue

Anyway, still at chapter 11 at 45 hours. Nothing to add besides that yet, other than that I'm having a great time.

Edited by Tales

I'm not surprised he doesn't like the game. Just look at his previous posts in the thread(the search option), it's quite obvious he made up his mind about the game way before he bought it.

Wow, well put. You did something I could never be bothered to do.

Yeah, he had judged the game before it was released simply because of the person sitting at the top (which is ridiculous, as staff and direction constantly change so you rarely end up with the same sort of game anyway). That, and the fact that he was constantly wishing for games he was playing as a child or teenager, which is foolish. Partly what made games you played during your childhood great is because they were part of your childhood.

If I was Oxigen_Waste I would say 'objectively, this game is definitely above average' simply because of its overall very positive reception backed up with people actually buying it. But instead I'll say that the vast majority think it's great, so it's pointless to come in here trying to rally people to think otherwise. Waste of fucking time.