NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

good lord whoever made this trailer should be shot. singing over talking... that never works.

why leona lewis anyway? I bet they are trying to appeal to a non-japanese audience since their gaming world is falling apart.

Apparently the PS3 version weighs in at a total of almost 40GB: 32.6GB of FMV, 6.8GB of actual game data. I guess that puts the 360 version at either 3 or 4 disks, depending on the compression used and how they carve things up; the game sounds pretty linear so presumably they can compartmentalise the game data quite a bit.

Wasn't any installs for the JPN version, shouldn't think so for over here.

Does that mean a MGS4 type install thing?

Nope, by "game data" I was referring to all in-game assets; character models, voice overs, level geometry, etcetera. It's the pre-rendered cinematics that take up all the space, if you stripped all of them out the game would fit on a single DVD.

Eh, have you played FF games before? They're never shallow.

Ive played IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX to completion, but i wasnt compelled to try any of the PS2 versions.

You misunderstood my post though, im just keeping my expectations super low so im not disappointed

Pre-ordered this on Amazon a few weeks back, the price has now dropped to £36.99 or something - get on it! I'm being a mug and paying first class postage, just in case there are any shortages/delays on launch day.

March 9th is going to be a nice day. Gonna make sure I am not playing anything else so I can start this as soon as it comes :)

Collectors Edition incoming.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-98-Square-Enix-Announces-Collector-s-Edition-of-Final-Fantasy-XIII-for-PAL-Territories.html

Today Square Enix announced its plans for a Collector's Edition of the game for PAL territories (although pricing and other region were not mentioned) which is set to storm into stores on March 9th this year.

The Final Fantasy XIII Collector's Edition will contain the following.

•The Final Fantasy XIII game (publisher still mention the game as part of the contents?);

•Final Fantasy XIII Original Sound Selection - an exclusive soundtrack CD featuring in-game music tracks especially chosen for the Limited Collector’s Edition by composer Masashi Hamauzu;

•The World of Final Fantasy XIII – a hardback book featuring character artwork, CG rendered artwork and environments from across the game’s production;

•Exclusive Art Prints - three highly collectable prints showing artwork of the Eidolons, the powerful summoned allies of the lead playable characters;

•A Unique ‘Brand of the l’Cie’ decal – a collectible decal featuring the most iconic symbol from the game’s storyline.

•The "Limited" Collector’s Edition will be available in a branded presentation box.

Final Fantasy XIII is out worldwide on March 9th.

It's £20 more unfortunately, not sure it's worth paying £59.99 for it.

I would have bought it if they had not included the game :nono:

I would have bought it if they had not included the game :nono:

Stop being such a big negative :p I bet if you gave it half a chance you'd be shitting rainbows over it.

Stop being such a big negative :p I bet if you gave it half a chance you'd be shitting rainbows over it.

The funny thing about it, is the fact that I feel like it's going to be shit, it's going to be good...if that makes sense.

Buuut it's a Team Kitase game with a linear gameplay, lame story and lame characters. I know other people will looooove the game and the story etc etc...but hey, people like twilight and I am still getting around as to why.

Give me overworld map, simple story (Or a fun story) with likable characters and it's a hit. (This is one reason why Mario RPG's and Dragon Quest games work so well)

I like how you've already decided the characters and story is lame before playing it.

I like how you've already decided the characters and story is lame before playing it.

Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2 had lame characters and a lame story, so coming from the same team I am guessing it's going to be the same. Plus from the people that have been playing it they have been saying how it's not as good as the characters from Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2. Plus the trailers also prove my point in taste as it's sooooo over-dramatic.

People love that shit, I don't.

Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2 had lame characters and a lame story, so coming from the same team I am guessing it's going to be the same. Plus from the people that have been playing it they have been saying how it's not as good as the characters from Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2. Plus the trailers also prove my point in taste as it's sooooo over-dramatic.

People love that shit, I don't.

X considered to be game of the decade (recent GameFAQs poll), also came across as Japan's favourite game of all time, and VIII currently the best selling PSN game AFIK on the US Store. Not my views, but clear evidence that a lot of people like the previous games they were behind a lot, even if you didn't.

I know. I love killer kirby's enthusiasm for Dragon Quest and everything else, its just a shame that it all comes at the expense of Final Fantasy. Can't win em all, eh. :heh:

well I own FF1,FF2,FF3,FF7,FF9 and thats where my experience with the series ends as I didn't have a PS2 so I'm very eagerly anticipating getting back in the series and seeing how it rights the wrongs (in my eyes) of JRPGs.

well I own FF1,FF2,FF3,FF7,FF9 and thats where my experience with the series ends as I didn't have a PS2 so I'm very eagerly anticipating getting back in the series and seeing how it rights the wrongs (in my eyes) of JRPGs.

FFVI pwns all of those ¬_¬. Heck, I would have a remake of FFVI over any FF any day.

The funny thing about it, is the fact that I feel like it's going to be shit, it's going to be good...if that makes sense.

Buuut it's a Team Kitase game with a linear gameplay, lame story and lame characters. I know other people will looooove the game and the story etc etc...but hey, people like twilight and I am still getting around as to why.

Give me overworld map, simple story (Or a fun story) with likable characters and it's a hit. (This is one reason why Mario RPG's and Dragon Quest games work so well)

Overworlds are just a glorified menu really. I never saw what good they brought to a game.

It's true that world maps were more or less there to trick you into thinking there was more exploration to the game than there really was (usually you could only go to one place at a time anyway), but they were still fun. And sometimes sidequest areas would be placed around on the map and you'd have to find them.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do understand there can be appeal to a world map. It serves quite well to give you a bit of scope and context for the place you're fighting for and they offer a pleasent distraction in marathon sessions, but I feel that now RPG's are these sprawling 40 plus hour experiences, excluding sidequests, the genre has really outgrown the need for such petty distractions.

A well crafted game gains the same effects in other areas, especially with the budget Square Enix has where they can call in the CG team, writers, and an orchestra on a whim.

Edited by Tyson

An RPG shouldn't need an overworld to be a good game. Agreed?

I really want this collectors edition. Really want it - but only for the sexy plain white case. FF box art shouldn't ever have pictures on the front cover.

What console you getting it on Dom?

PS3 version, just preordered the collector's edition :)

Why PS3? Well 1 disc, no compression in videos or audio :) and it was built with the PS3 in mind first.

An RPG shouldn't need an overworld to be a good game. Agreed?

I really want this collectors edition. Really want it - but only for the sexy plain white case. FF box art shouldn't ever have pictures on the front cover.

True, Suikoden III just had a map you moved to locations on and that game was fantastic!