NEurope
Sarka

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

European release announced: (Spring, 2008)

Dragon Quest Swords heads to Europe this Spring

London (5th December 2007) – Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, today announces that DRAGON QUEST® SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors® for Wii™, will be released across all PAL territories in spring 2008.

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors, available exclusively on Wii, is an action-packed Virtual Experience where the player becomes the hero of the story. As the hero, the player must use the Wii controller to control their legendary sword, and fight off horde after horde of monsters. Slice at enemies, parry with your shield and block attacks to launch powerful counter-combos.

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS contains all the familiar features people have come to expect from the DRAGON QUEST series, such as a system to power up weapons and the ability to perform a large array of powerful attacks. Additional mini-games add to the fun as you catch darts with your shield and try to defeat Slime monsters as quickly as possible to win bonus items.

John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix Ltd. comments, “We are delighted to be announcing our first Wii title for PAL territories. The DRAGON QUEST series is a phenomenon in Japan that has already sold over 43 million units worldwide, but is still relatively new to Europe. With today’s announcement of DRAGON QUEST SWORDS and the forthcoming release of DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS: Joker on the Nintendo DS™, the series is set to charm more fans throughout the world.”

About DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

Story

In the town at the foot of Avalonia Castle, a young man enjoys a peaceful life with his father. That young man is you. It is your sixteenth birthday at last, and time to take the Walk of the Worthy, the trial of strength which all young Avalonian males must undergo upon coming of age.

You will need to put all of your training in the ways of the sword into practice if you are to pass the test, and take your rightful place amongst Avalonia’s warriors. Should you succeed – who knows what adventures await you!

Features

- The first DRAGON QUEST title to be developed exclusively for Wii

- Use the Wii Remote as your legendary sword! Immerse yourself fully in the action as you slice at the enemy!

- Explore a rich, vibrant 3D world in first-person perspective

- Engage a variety of diverse and colourful enemies, who are brought to life with detailed animation and graphics

- Series creator Yuji Horii, legendary manga artist Akira Toriyama and renowned composer Koichi Sugiyama, team up once again to create an unforgettable gaming experience

- Become the hero in a dramatic storyline that is suitable for all

- Beautiful audio score fully immerses you into the world of DRAGON QUEST

- New International version includes revised gameplay offering a more intense and challenging experience

- In-game text is localised into English, French, German, Italian and Spanish

For more information about DRAGON QUEST SWORDS, please visit: http://www.dragonquestswords.eu.com/

Source: http://www.gamespress.com/product.asp?c=%2DW%2A%27%3B

baud03d34265sd2.jpg

screenshot003sd36c25kh3.jpg

screenshot00s1d35716ht2.jpg

town01d3ab41as4.jpg

vsoak04d3c9a6yr5.jpg

vsslim03d3e155af9.jpg

New Content For Dragon Quest Swords

America gets some compensation for a 7 month gap...

Square-Enix released Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors for the Wii in Japan back in the summer. The game which is currently due for release in America on February 26th is getting additional content to make up for the huge gap between the releases. It is also extremely likely that Europe will get this as well.

The extra content so far is confirmed to be four hidden bosses as well as a "payback" mode to help add extra replay value, since it doesn't take too long to complete. At present not much is known about the this mode, but expect more details on it in the near future.

Source: http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=11300

Nice to know, hope they tweaked the controls where they needed too.

US Boxart:

10701cg0.jpg

Fugly!

Hey that was on the main site :heh:

But good to see there is extra stuff being added though. As for the boxart it could be better...

Hey that was on the main site :heh:

But good to see there is extra stuff being added though. As for the boxart it could be better...

Edited it to the N-E article (I don't go to the homepage much)

As for the Boxart... hopefully this is only for America; kinda like Final Fantasy is always different, Americans always seem to have all the characters from a game in the cover, whereas us get the logo, or something slicker.

Yea true. The FF3 one over here is pretty good, same with the Dragon Quest for the PS2 but i'm not too sure what the US version was like.

But hopefully they'll make a better one for us(not hard) and aslong as that girls in it, it's fine with me :heh:

IGN have their review up. 7.0/ 10, which is pretty much the area I was expecting this to fall in and maybe even a little generous if the game is really only eight hours long!

Closing Comments

Dragon Quest Swords isn’t your average RPG experience, and as such certain gamers might be thrown off by what Square Enix has done with Wii’s first outing. If you’re looking for a hardcore, 50+ hour experience, this isn’t it. What DQ Swords brings to the table, however, is an extremely accessible role playing experience that works to capture new gamers in the world of Dragon Quest. The combat is fast and action-packed, the actual RPG elements are much lighter than anything we’ve seen from Square in years (maybe ever), and the storyline is simple and accessible for any age. Even the level-building and party management is totally streamlined, as all AI is handled on the fly. There’s a definite wish list of changes we would have liked to see though, as the Wii-mote only controls aren’t extremely comfortable, and the adventure is over before you know it. As a product that ends up being “Dragon Quest Lite” though, Swords is still pretty entertaining while it lasts.

Just saw on the N-Europe main page that this has been dated for us: May 9th, 2008.

I don't think I'll get it on release (unless its somehow a budget title) but I'll probably grab it at some point in the future for some hackin and slashin.

Well,does anyone know if this game is goint to be released tomorrow?

I can't find a valid release date anywhere...

It's released tomorrow. Stick around for the review, done by yours truelly.

It's released tomorrow. Stick around for the review, done by yours truelly.

How about a quick review Shadow as im thinking of getting it tomorrow. Im gonna head out and probably trade GTA4 in for it.

YAY or NAY?

It's good while it lasts. The main story itself will take only around 8-10 hours and afterwords you get a couple of extra areas and modes to go through aswell as an extra difficulty. I personally enjoy playing it, fighting all those enemies at once is pretty fun and challenging and the bosses can be hard to beat. Then there's a couple of mini games you can play. Then you can redo previous areas to get better overall grades and take different paths.

While it lasts it's a pretty fun game to play and the cell shading and DQ music is pretty nice, but you can easily complete it through the weekend. If you've done everything in GTA4 and want a new game to play, may aswell pick it up if the stuff I mentioned doesn't bother you much.

It's good while it lasts. The main story itself will take only around 8-10 hours and afterwords you get a couple of extra areas and modes to go through aswell as an extra difficulty. I personally enjoy playing it, fighting all those enemies at once is pretty fun and challenging and the bosses can be hard to beat. Then there's a couple of mini games you can play. Then you can redo previous areas to get better overall grades and take different paths.

While it lasts it's a pretty fun game to play and the cell shading and DQ music is pretty nice, but you can easily complete it through the weekend. If you've done everything in GTA4 and want a new game to play, may aswell pick it up if the stuff I mentioned doesn't bother you much.

Cheers Shadow.

I want this, but I think I'll wait for a price drop, it doesn't seem like it's worth full price. Hopefully play.com will sell it for £9.99 :P

I think £20-25 would of been a good price. If your buying instore with no trade ins, doesn't feel quite worth the the full price. I fonly it was longer, then it would be better.

I think £20-25 would of been a good price.

Yeah, play.com are selling it for £24.99 and if S-Es DS titles are anything to by then this will drop in price fairly quickly :)

That cheap? That's not bad actually. Here's hoping for more cheap S-E goodness from play then.

I got the game for Christmas and I've been playing it on and off since and I just defeated the final purple mirror boss today, but now my arm is killing me.

It's a pretty good game though, slightly better than the reviews gave it if I'm remembering right. The controls are a bit inaccurate though which made doing diagonal slashes really hard to do and sometimes the game does a different attack than what I wanted. Makes deflecting attacks back really difficult and you really need it for the purple mirror bosses.

I still need to get the Metal King Shield though, the tombola is really hard to play though.

I almost can't believe the amount of discussion in this thread before the game was released and the complete lack of discussion afterwards :eek:

I say almost because I'm currently playing it after finally picking it up last year and there maybe isn't actually that much to talk about :indeed: Anyway, I've had a good time with it today and have it saved at the beginning of Chapter 5 :hehe:

It took a few battles to get into the combat but it generally feels pretty good other than the obvious difficulty with diagonals, particularly under pressure :nono:

I imagine I'll be able to get through it this week as I must be getting towards the half way point by now.. but I'm wondering if anyone else picked this up late or have played it recently? As someone who has never really played a proper Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, this game feels like a nice, simplified RPG that is satisfying me sufficiently and seems great to relax with between lengthier adventures!

Having just finished Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty last week, I have enjoyed getting the Wii Remote back in my hand for something a bit different :hehe:

Edited by nekunando

I almost can't believe the amount of discussion in this thread before the game was released and the complete lack of discussion afterwards :eek:

I say almost because I'm currently playing it after finally picking it up last year and there maybe isn't actually that much to talk about :indeed: Anyway, I've had a good time with it today and have it saved at the beginning of Chapter 5 :hehe:

It's more to do with the fact that it's not a numbered Dragon Quest game more then anything else, it is a spin-off and a very short one to be honest. (I don't even think the spin-off of one of the greatest Dragon Quest games Rocket Slime has got a thread :hmm: ) It's still a good game for what it is, but when the main focus of Dragon Quest is still on Dragon Quest IX people dwell more talking about Dragon Quest on the handheld section :heh:

As someone who has never really played a proper Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, this game feels like a nice, simplified RPG that is satisfying me sufficiently and seems great to relax with between lengthier adventures!

Dragon Quest has always been the lighter charming story when compared to the modern day Final Fantasy game. It's a game that people usually spend like 2 hours a day on it for relaxation and finish it whatever day. I highly suggest you trying out Dragon Quest IX whenever that comes out.

(I don't even think the spin-off of one of the greatest Dragon Quest games Rocket Slime has got a thread :hmm: )

It does, only 9 posts though. Probably due to it not getting a release over here.

I highly suggest you trying out Dragon Quest IX whenever that comes out.

And Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2! Only when you want a long game though. It's still cartoony, but it's one immense RPG! :heh: