NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

England Team Discussion

I'm currently overwhelmed with a sense of extrodinarly mild frustartion right now. We really should've won that, especially after such a strong first half. And Owen! Oh sweet lord Owen!

Well at least we didn't lose, and that first goal was a buety, though the same can't be said for our deffending.

i loved englands match today, it was really nice, complete dominance in the first half by england, but i was expecting a lose or a draw for them, either way i loved the way they played deffenetly an improvment from the previouse matches, oh i dont know if anyone noticed but A.Cole wasnt looking at the goal when he hit that shot.

u have to admit England where counting there lucky stars today, i mean Sweden had so many chances of scoring that it was ridiculous. Majority of the matches england played they won by pure luck its just a disgrace we have all these all star players yet they are playing crap WTF? put it this way if Gerard was not playing in the world cup then England see ya later

Michael Owen crocked for 5 months, all we said was don't ****ing break him, bloody England :angry:

Michael Owen crocked for 5 months, all we said was don't ****ing break him, bloody England :angry:

Seems like the Toon many have wasted their money on him, hes constantly getting injured poor guy.

And Walcott ... if he doesn't feature in group stages, how on earth will he be replied upon in the 2nd round? I wanted to see him vs Sweden, from 75min.

Anyway, while this is a blow we still have a decent attack. Get Crouch up front and get Sven to let that young tiger Lennon of the bench.

Man, Eriksson has to be sorry about Walcott now. If Rooney turns out to have problems it's Crouch (not great) and Walcott (no games in Premier League or national team) as the striker team...

Such a shame for Owen though, terrible injury, terrible shape and then an even worse injury.

In a way, I think this injury could be a blessing in disguise as England may start playing 4-5-1, which would allow Lamps and Gerrard to have freedom, without worrying about tracking back. Then Hargeaves in the holding position

Talking of Hargreaves, kudos to the guy.

Always been a backer of him and he showed that he's the most competent holding player we have last night.

I agree. Lampard/Gerrard doesn't seem a happy couple as both are such good players they don't need to cooperate with each other; often the midfield doesn't seem to do enough because they both are doing the same job.

A midfield with Hargreaves on it is more balanced. A defensive midfielder like him takes off some work of the Lampard/Gerrard in front of him and gives him the freedom to do what he wants. Hargreaves doesn't match up to the offensive quality of the star players, but that's not where his qualities lie.

Yeah I agree about "4-5-1 blessing" theory, but still, if England is serious about getting into the finals and even surviving that too, 3 strikers is a gamble. If Rooney got red carded or something and crouch goes out with a knock, we only got Walcott the following game... !!!

I don't mind the 4-5-1 as long as they don't stick Crouch on his own up front :hmm:

In a way, this could mean Walcott is destined to play.

I want to see Theo Walcott play against Ecuador, maybe Sven will put him on if/when we're winning comfortably (2-0) so we won't have to worry too much about scoring. But then he does score and we all think "Wonderful Walcott".

It could happen, lads. But I don't want to tempt fate.

I honestly can't believe Walcott went instead of Defoe. And Walcott wont play. Sven will try anything but play him. Cole up front, Gerrard up front. 4-5-1.

I'm sorry but if we are going to play 4-5-1 we need Lennon in the side. You can't play 5 central midfielders. And Carrick should play instead of Hargreaves IMO. Not because Hargreaves is a bad player, just that Carrick is someone who can really get England playing.

I honestly can't believe Walcott went instead of Defoe. And Walcott wont play. Sven will try anything but play him. Cole up front, Gerrard up front. 4-5-1.

I'm sorry but if we are going to play 4-5-1 we need Lennon in the side. You can't play 5 central midfielders. And Carrick should play instead of Hargreaves IMO. Not because Hargreaves is a bad player, just that Carrick is someone who can really get England playing.

I agree with everything you have said there... and i must say it pisses me off that Sven took Walcott instead of Defoe... what an arse he is for making that mistake!

Sven must have a reason for picking Walcott instead of Defoe, and if he isn't going to play Walcott in the tournament then there wasn't much point in taking him to Germany.

Martin Jol was stupid to leave Defoe on the bench. But who is the regular strikeforce at Spurs? If Mido's gone back to AS Roma and they've bought in Dimitar Berbatov from Leverkusen to take his place, is Defoe going to get a good chance to prove to Steve McClaren next season?

I don't really follow the news around the English squad, but it seems to me that Eriksson took Walcott to pull off another Rooney, like at the European Cup in 2004. Rooney was astonishing there - and Eriksson probably hoped Walcott would do the same.

It's stupid really as Rooney and Walcott are in completely different situations. Rooney already played plenty of matches for Everton, but Walcott has never played for Arsenal (is that it?) and hasn't shown the same talent.

Dodgy performances. I guess Ecuador proved my argument all along that Beckham is needed, if only for freekicks.

I'm beginning to really doubt Walcott's involvement now. Quarter finals and he still hasn't come on. Which is probably a good thing as it means Rooney and Crouch are fit and well.

Another funny thing is, some sections of the media are now raving on about how we should go back to 4-4-2 after that game. And few days ago they were raving on about how fantastic it is that missing Owen meant Sven is forced to play 4-5-1!! Talk of irony.

I think the criticism against Beckham is extremely unfair!

I can understand the points against having him in the squad; his lack of pace and taking the ball round people, but then all players have their faults!

Which ever way you look at it, Beckham is the reason we have got to the quarter finals;

He won us the group stages!

- His free kick scored us the win against Paraguay

- He set up Crouches goal over Trin'ago

He won us the game against Equador!

I think the problem with England at the moment is not with Beckham but with the central midfield, yet the critics/pundits seem to let it go un-noticed!

Other than Gerrards goal, I think every other shot he's had has gone over the crossbar! but to be fair, he is passing and creating chances well and did set up J. Coles goal.

Lampard though (as we know) has had around 25 shots on goal and not scored once!

If Lampard had put just a couple of these away, the negative news surrounding England would be completely different, because we'd have been winning each of our games by 2 or 3 goals and it would have been seen as a convincing win!

Whether it's because the two of them still aren't completely comfortable playing alongside each other I don't know, but midfield goals will be vital from now on!

If Lampard doesn't improve, I'd think about replacing him with Lennon (maybe moving Beckham inside),

Otherwise, why not use Beckham in the holding role (as good as Carrick is) and play Lennon on the right!

Retro_Link, i agree with what you said about Beckham. I often feel that he gets heavily criticised when, as far as i'm concerned, he is one of England's best players.

Frank Lampard has been nothing short than a waste of space. I think it's about time they give young Lennon a go, right from the start of the game.

Didn't Lampard used to be good when he played for England. He scored a few goals but now he has sort of lost his touch. (Didn't he score the goal against France at Euro 2004?)

Sign in to follow this