NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

Regarding GameCube component cables. (expected and assumed but now confirmed)

Component is great, right? The best way to view Wii at its maximum resolution of 480p. Yet, Nintendo hasn’t shown us the component cable yet. They’ve shown us every other output under the sun, but no component.

You can rest a little easier now. Nintendo of America has confirmed that component cables will be available for the Wii. The catch? You can only buy them online from Nintendo or other select retailers. Why on earth they would limit this to online only is beyond me, and I don’t even have component ports on my crappy TV. Those of you who shelled out the the GCN component cables are out of luck, the Wii uses a completely different interface.

The component cables will be available for $29.99 from the online outlets for Nintendo, Best Buy, Circuit City, EB Games, and Gamestop. No release date has been specified, but you might have to wait until a few days after launch to see your games at the full resolution.

edit: beat me to it Dante.

As for the UK, no idea.. Nintendo Europe doesn't really have their own online store.. so probably major chain stores and online retailers.

Another case of Nintendo WiFi adaptor- shipped thinly, but if you look you'll probably find it.

Let's say I wanted to hook my Wii up to my HDTV. Why would I want to do that? Would there be a noticable difference?

Let's say I wanted to hook my Wii up to my HDTV. Why would I want to do that? Would there be a noticable difference?
Regular SDTV's won't support EDTV 16:9 resolutions (853x480) nor progressive scan, so yes, if the HDTV upscaling is good it should look better.

But not as good as if the game was running at native 720p (or 1080i/p), it's really a middleterm. incidentally it has only 50% less pixels than 1280x720.

Wii has been showcased in 720p HDTV's though, look at the photos and draw your conclusions.

EDIT: Here's a thread with lots of photos of that "kind"

-> http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9660

56k warning though.

Don't have a TV with progressive scan, so I just VGA. If not, I'll buy S-Video.

this is all so confusing...which is the one with the yellow, red and while cables?

this is all so confusing...which is the one with the yellow, red and while cables?
composite cables. (do not confuse with component cables)

That's composite, it's the one that comes with every console.

And, luckily, are the ones perfect for me. (only because I have a rubbish external USB TV Card)

I'll probably buy an S-video somewhere later on. I'll settle with a regular cable first though, works good enough.

So components best, then Svideo then composit?

What connection is component?

We're moving house and getting all HD'd up - tele, Sky, possibly a 360 with Pro Evo. Do I need to ask if it will work with 460p or will it undoubtedly, Wii is the main console and I want it to look as good as it can - how do I do this?

Thanks

So components best, then Svideo then composit?

What connection is component?

We're moving house and getting all HD'd up - tele, Sky, possibly a 360 with Pro Evo. Do I need to ask if it will work with 460p or will it undoubtedly, Wii is the main console and I want it to look as good as it can - how do I do this?

Thanks

Component is better, then RGB, S-video and composite.

if you want it to look as good as it gets... buy a good HDTV, not judging it by price but how well it upscales. a lot of HDTV's look bad with 480i/p because the upscaling is crap.

Nintendo uses Sharp TV's for example. and they look great indeed.

Then... buy some component cables and you're set.

so has it been confirmed yet about the sencerbar/sunlight/halogen problem

has it been fixed i mean

I very much doubt the problem is real. Seems to me that there are too much doom thinkers out there; controllers could've ran out of batteries, the dozens of Wiimotes on the showfloors would have bound to cause interference, and the devkits might have been buggy. As the Wiimote uses regular Bluetooth and infrared I don't see how sunlight could be an issue.

Well i was listening to the new IGN weekly, and they said that the Wii-mote explouded when they turned the light on...wtf?

Well i was listening to the new IGN weekly, and they said that the Wii-mote explouded when they turned the light on...wtf?

And we believe IGN, don't we? :p

Well, in a matter a fact i don't see why Matt Cassamina, althought he can be a jerk (sometimes), would lie about that. He probably loves the Wii as much as we do, therefore i don't see the point. But people, that kind of problems are good to happen. So at launch Nintendo can make everything operational.

I'm not worry about that. Nintendo never has made a bad home console, so...

I'm not worry about that. Nintendo never has made a bad home console, so...

Well, if you forget about the Virtual Boy...

Yes, we do.

I'm confused, is that sarcasm? :blank:

And the Virtual Boy was quite a good concept, way ahead of its time.

And we believe IGN, don't we? :p

There's no reason not to believe IGN, they only give the harsh, bitter truth e.g. the Wii specs back in Winter.

There's no reason not to believe IGN, they only give the harsh, bitter truth e.g. the Wii specs back in Winter.

A Wiimote exploded when a light was turned on. :indeed: Please just look over that sentence again a few times and then question your trust of IGN.

Well, if you forget about the Virtual Boy...

I hadn't think one that one though... Nonetheless you can't be mad at the other consoles. An Nintendo has made a lot. If you think about it nobody thinks one the virtual boy. All people say:

"NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii". They never mention virtual boy.

And guys... these Wii's are not the final version. So, chill out! I believe that nothing will happen when consoles are out in marketing.