NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

i just hope i can make backups of my game saves

i guess with the not realy deleating games it wont mater on the vc games exept for our saved files on them.

i hope we can put a single purchase on multiple sd cards

this will probably be illegal though

at least we can make back ups on our computer using an sd reader

nintnedo may encrypt the games so we cant do this though

I wondered about this myself, but knowing nintendo and that they still sell snes games on ther GBA for £30 I think the fact the wii is meant to be connected to the net constantly would mean we don't own the rom but access it, once we paid with our points then the rom is availible to play on the channel but if you disconect the wii then u can't play the games, this would stop piracy.

either way I seriously doubt we'll be able to copy the games for other people or to other devices

I wondered about this myself, but knowing nintendo and that they still sell snes games on ther GBA for £30 I think the fact the wii is meant to be connected to the net constantly would mean we don't own the rom but access it, once we paid with our points then the rom is availible to play on the channel but if you disconect the wii then u can't play the games, this would stop piracy.

either way I seriously doubt we'll be able to copy the games for other people or to other devices

Yeah, i thought that too. The problem is lot's of people won't have they'r Wii connected to the internet, therefore they will miss a big Wii feature. Would they save the VC games to your SD card in shops or somethin? I highly doubt it.

I'm not too worried though. I'll have it connected.:wink:

my wii shall be conected 24/7 as it was ment to be

that is if my router dosent break.

Wii Play with free wiimote confirmed for 49€. 8 minigames planned.

- Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged, Big Brain Wii, Metroid Prime 3, BWii

and Excite Truck before spring 2007. Don’t know if Wario is coming at launch,

or next month (January).

- Every First Party title, 49€… except Zelda, which will cost 59€

- USB Ethernet adaptor, component cable and RGB cable priced at 29€ here.

- Sensor bar wire length: 3 meters. Size: 24×1centimeters (we said 21cm long

time ago). 1,5 meters minimal recomended distance between TV and player.

I don't mind giving 60€ for a game, specially Zelda... but the Americans are paying $49 for it. and $49 is not 49€...

or next month (January).

:o £30?

wow

does anyone know how much all of this will probably cost at eb (GAME)

Wii

wii-mote (does the wii-mote come with nunchuck, if so forget the next item)

nunchuck

TP

clasic controller

*edit* if you can american dollars but euro or pound is fine

Except it would be around 380 in US dollars. (250 console, 50 games, 40 remote, 20 classic and nunchuck.) So if prices were equal, around 200 pounds. Man, that's messed up.

or next month (January).

:shock: source?

Man, MP3 and Mario Galaxy and Phantom Hourglass before spring, that's ace but expensive.

All those games 'BEFORE?!' Spring?

So January- Mario Strikers

February- BWii

March- Metroid, Brain Training

April/May- Mario Galaxy

I'm expecting Excitetruck early Jan 2007, otherwise i'll be quite peeved. Still good news that we will get a first-party game each month.

Still good news that we will get a first-party game each month.

Bad new for our wallets.

Bad new for our wallets.

My wallet is lazy and doesn't like to carry much, so I'm doing it a favour.:grin:

How much do Nintendo make from the Wii hardware, roughly?

I can't tell you exactly how much but I know the supplier cost is roughly £147, so thats how suppliers sell it on to retailers for, maybe we can back track from here and work out somehow.

How much do Nintendo make from the Wii hardware, roughly?

Enough to do a price drop in march (which will coincide with the launch of Super Mario Galaxy) and still make profit

I don't usually this stuff, being a rumor and specially not on this thread but:

Nintendo Wii to run on Linux?

Wii runs on LinuxNintendo insider Kiyoshi Saruwatari has just posted about the Wii software and he says the console will run on the open source Linux operating system. According to Saruwatari, Nintendo was able to reduce development costs by utilizing open source software and mixing a Linux kernel into the Wii software platform. A host of additional and innovative features like web browsing, file management, video playback, and emulation all run on Nintendo Wii’s custom Linux operating system, which uses a proprietary interface.

Unlike the platform, the actual games will not run under the Linux platform, and can be played without booting Linux if the user holds down the “A” button on the Wiimote (the Wii’s remote control) while the Wii is starting up. Saruwatari also says that, as a result of this Linux support, we “can count on a lot of third-party add-ons, much like Opera.” Although Linux on the Wii is nice to think and hear about, Saruwatari’s claims have not been verified by Nintendo and may just be another rumor.

Source: http://www.ministryoftech.com/2006/10/09/nintendo-wii-to-run-on-linux/

Comment away :grin:

Given the source, I call it a fake.

When you consider Nintendo's pain-staking attention to detail, it's likely that Wii's OS was built from the ground up. No way would they just take some Linux, port it, and tag some pretty-looking interface onto it.

Given the source, I call it a fake.

When you consider Nintendo's pain-staking attention to detail, it's likely that Wii's OS was built from the ground up. No way would they just take some Linux, port it, and tag some pretty-looking interface onto it.

Might be fake, but it's also true that making something like that from ground is costy, and it would infact ease developers like Opera when developing Wii software.

Linux is by no means a cheap system by todays standards, since it's open source it means you can put it working in no time, in any platform and it provides easy ports between diferent hardware architectures. We are only talking about the kernel though, the system itself is proprietary, and not meant to be used as a computer. (or meant to be "edited" freely by the user)

All in all it surprisingly makes some sense and it would be great, but it might not be the case.

It would be nice to have it running, but I don't see the added value of it, especially considering it can't run the OS in proper resolutions.

It would be nice to have it running, but I don't see the added value of it, especially considering it can't run the OS in proper resolutions.
Nowadays even some routers can run linux kernel, Wii's goal is not to be a PC, but I've got to say that a media center interface based in linux kinda seduces me.