NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

is it me or is that a port under the SD card slot?

Will peope stop moaning about the light, just email ign or something to ask a nintendo rep and get official confirmation instead of complaining to people who have basically the same knowledge as you on this matter.

I don't think the light could be on if the system is unplugged. As in, no power. As in, there is no electricity to turn the light on. As in, I really enjoy saying "as in" and sounding smart.

Shame it doesn't make sense. :heh:

No its just a little tag saying "SD ->"

ah i can see it now, its a bit dark, looked like it was going into the machine, so looked like a port.

This expanding memory business with SD cards, is it permanently embedded into the internal memory by transferring the storage space from the SD card into the internal memory [e.g. 1GB SD card, making the internal memory 1512MB even after the SD card is removed and then you could add another 1GB SD and make it 2512MB even with the cards not in the system] or are they only saying that by putting in the SD card you'll have the additional memory while the cards in the system but as soon as you remove it, it will be back to 512MB?

This expanding memory business with SD cards, is it permanently embedded into the internal memory by transferring the storage space from the SD card into the internal memory [e.g. 1GB SD card, making the internal memory 1512MB even after the SD card is removed and then you could add another 1GB SD and make it 2512MB even with the cards not in the system] or are they only saying that by putting in the SD card you'll have the additional memory while the cards in the system but as soon as you remove it, it will be back to 512MB?

Eh ummm what? It isnt even possible to tranfer storage space.

I think what he means is that if you put in a 1GB SD card, will you have to get rid of the original 512mb.

You don't, your total memory space would be 1.5gb if you inserted a 1gb card as the 512mb is internal.

Shame it doesn't make sense. :heh:

The Wii in those pictures is clearly not plugged in. Therefore, how in God's name could the light be on? We'll know when we know, and until then, I won't talk about it for fear of making a bigger ass of myself. :horse:

The Wii in those pictures is clearly not plugged in. Therefore, how in God's name could the light be on? We'll know when we know, and until then, I won't talk about it for fear of making a bigger ass of myself. :horse:

Sorry, what I meant was your "as in" didn't make sense :heh:

Do we even know for sure if we can save content to the SD card?

Sorry, what I meant was your "as in" didn't make sense :heh:

Oh.

So does that mean that I win the light argument?

It doesn't make sense, does it?

But I like it anyway.

I thought it was just there to make the numbers list seem bigger.

I'm ganna get a 2gb mini sd card for my phone, can I also use it in the wii, if I wanted to?

If it comes with an adapter yes. Since I'll be using my 512 card until I probably get a 4 gig SD

Actualy its been removed from the pal wii but we still get it in North America :laughing:

just kidding of coarse we can save stuff to the sd cards whats the point of having ports for them if we cant use them :geek:

I wonder how long it'll take for a "homebrew Virtual Console" to be concieved. That could screw Nintendo's VC program up. Meh, I guess that's one of the perks for Nintendo in making the Connect 24 thing. They could probably just auto patch it or brick your console.

Oh, and what's to stop people hacking and bricking your console or putting illegal files on your console through WiiConnect?

All vc games will be encrypted

maybe ninty will release security software

maybe the console will come with security software

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vids_1.html

Have a look at ign weekly episode 28.

At the start is an interview with Perrin Kaplan (who is quite amusing) and Matt asks her about the photo channel, to which she replies [4:52]:

I actually plan on using it for photos, because, I just, really struggle with PC and printing stuff out, and it makes me nuts

So it makes me ponder... USB port... printer...

She also makes mention of the VC storage (i'll put this in the VC thread as well if I cant find it mentioned there):

Lots of space to save a lot of different virtual console games. And also lets say that you decide to delete one, its not really deleted, just deleted from your menu or your pages. Because "Matt still owns it because he purchased it". So it goes back to the server and it tells you that you still own it. The other programs gonna run as if you've purchased it. Its yours.

We already knew about the Nintendo account thing with the VC stuff... but its interesting that we can delete stuff from storage and still have access to it.

All vc games will be encrypted

maybe ninty will release security software

maybe the console will come with security software

What I meant was an emulator could easily be created for the Wii like the Snes emulator that works with the PSP, and it would be easily accessible due to the Opera browser being available.

We already knew about the Nintendo account thing with the VC stuff... but its interesting that we can delete stuff from storage and still have access to it.

I think what it means is that if you delete a game, you can download it again later for free as you already own it. Similar to the Xbox Live Arcade.

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but there are 52 pages which I don't have time to read. I'm slightly confused about Wii's online hardware availability in that, I know it has wireless out of the box, and I read about a USB connector which I really don't understand, I work with computers but have never ever heard of an ethernet to USB convertor, so I'm assuming that's not what they are talking about, could someone clear this up?

Finally, Ninty have just said that the Wii will now have an Ethernet port, will it be something you buy like the BBA for the Cube? Or will it come out the box?

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but there are 52 pages which I don't have time to read. I'm slightly confused about Wii's online hardware availability in that, I know it has wireless out of the box, and I read about a USB connector which I really don't understand, I work with computers but have never ever heard of an ethernet to USB convertor, so I'm assuming that's not what they are talking about, could someone clear this up?

Finally, Ninty have just said that the Wii will now have an Ethernet port, will it be something you buy like the BBA for the Cube? Or will it come out the box?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ethernet-Adapter-Patch-Cable/dp/B0002AFKN0

I think thats what Nintendo will be selling. You plug it into your USB port and it gives you an ethernet port. :)

What I meant was an emulator could easily be created for the Wii like the Snes emulator that works with the PSP, and it would be easily accessible due to the Opera browser being available.

don't you find it funny that a sony console, has a homebrew nintendo console on it? like the games arent good enough for psp so they have to illegally play nintendo ones......hmmmm.

Anway I like that deleting it you still own it. It's a bit obvous though, you wouldnt have tpo keep buying it everytime you wanted to make room. good to know though.

i hope we can put a single purchase on multiple sd cards

this will probably be illegal though

at least we can make back ups on our computer using an sd reader

nintnedo may encrypt the games so we cant do this though