NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

they probably held back alot after the Sony conference. lol, Imagine Sony camp now, all they can reveal is the addition of a microphone at TGS :D

That classic controller is a joke.. why the hell is it wired?

So lame.. much rather the shell that IGN made.

That classic controller is a joke.. why the hell is it wired?

So lame.. much rather the shell that IGN made.

The Shell controller plugs into the bottom of the wii controller.

If anything it looks like it will discourage dev teams to port for a regular controller because its so bad.

Yuk, what a bad idea.. I wont buy that.

Anyone thinking the controller's speaker will double as a microphone?

Or will Nintendo add this later as a nunchaku nozzle for a higher quality piece of kit.

I'll just use a WaveBird or a wired GameCube controller over that.

It does look a bit odd.I agree with you ,I prefer the IGN one aswell.

Launch Date and MSRP: Q4 2006 ($TBA)

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Color: TBA

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube™ discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This “WiiConnect24” service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS™.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo® 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System® (SNES) and even – more –

the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a “best of” selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii has 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the “sleepless” WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named “Broadway”)

Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.

Could this mean the gpu is still under development?

Am I the only one who thinks that the classic controller actually looks quite good??

It looks nice!!!

Has anyone noticed changes in the controller?

440px-Wii_remote5view_0501.jpg

- Looks longer

- Start/Select replaced with +/-

- Power button chanded to circular.

- Speaker added

- a/b replaced with 1/2

- port altered.

edit - those holes on the bottom to attach attachments securely?

Classic controller:

Wii_classic_controller.jpg

The Wiimote also looks deeper. If you know what I mean, as in distance from the front face to the back of it.

ill only be using the shell controler for the vc games and maybe smash brothers but that shell controler whould be awsome for 2d games like the megadrive and snes controlers where.

..the B-Trigger has also changed shaped.. for ergonomic reasons I assume..

I'm gonna get a shell for the VC games anyway,design is growing on me.

all in all its a more well designed controller, and although i read earlier (on gamespot or ign) that it "mightn't" be the final controller, i think it looks DAMN WELL!!

Classic controller

Two hours too late. Look up.

I'm gonna get a shell for the VC games anyway,design is growing on me.

i think it looks well.

:(

nobody is commenting the specs...oh bad world...(it was hard to put taht in there :p )

joking. the shell is horrible, cause I hate that shape (the analogs like in the PS one...).

Am I the only one who thinks that the classic controller actually looks quite good??

It looks nice!!!

na your not the only one dude. i love the shell's design :yay: snes games will play so well on it baby!!!

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI

I find that strange :|

But that can be why some games look a lot like gamecube ones.

Anyway I really like the look of the classic controler! It really looks classic! I hope it has good ergonomics.

It looks nice!!!

Reminds me of my SNES days. Good times, good times.

Also while I'm here, just got to Red Steel presentation - graphics surprisingly nice. Very clean cut, looks like FEAR on about a mid setting. Very detailed. I get the impression that there are some effects which they haven't added yet. MArio also looks very clean with plenty of details and effects. Happy with the graphics.

O.K people ...senn the graphics? seen the shaders(galaxy)? seen normalmapping? Just a beefed up flipper? mmm don´t think so!

I think it should be noted that we now KNOW the home button is not used for leveling or setting the position of the wiimote. Just look at the classic controller it has a home but clearly it does not need to be set in spacial terms.

Have you seen the pic of the sensor-bar? Looks pretty discrete ... so that good!

13.jpg

is there a link to a bigger pic of that anywhere?