NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

Maybe im speaking too early, but if that is the case, im going to be so fucking annoyed. NOE are just useless at distributing important peripherals..

Is a DVD player "important"? I have eight!

I really want to hear some specs for the thing. Not that I care about it but I simply want to know :p

To be honest, this whole thing about the importance of DVD is a bit odd in this day and age. The other day I went to Sainsburys and even they were selling a few odd DVD players on sale for £29.

DVD playback support may have been a huge factor 3 years ago but now I'd dish out £50 to get a dedicated player with many features and other format support. Anyway. Nintendo didn't have bother with all this DVD dongle socket and instead make it cheaper by £10. I'd have prefered it that way.

I think that the flap is just design. Or that or a sensor.

I just want to see videos of some stupid guy playing a stupid game, so I can be studidly happy about it. If the third secret isn't something that everyone knows a long time ago I want it to be the ability to run homebrew on it without clever hacks by sceners.

To be honest, this whole thing about the importance of DVD is a bit odd in this day and age. The other day I went to Sainsburys and even they were selling a few odd DVD players on sale for £29.

DVD playback support may have been a huge factor 3 years ago but now I'd dish out £50 to get a dedicated player with many features and other format support. Anyway. Nintendo didn't have bother with all this DVD dongle socket and instead make it cheaper by £10. I'd have prefered it that way.

Ya... but I want it all in one box :)

Audio device in Wii controller?!!??! Please don't tell me thats the last secret... lol

Ya... but I want it all in one box :)

Not me. I'd rather pay less, even if it's only £10.

I have issues with all this modern trend of convergence. PSP was a good example, which boasted as a convergence hardware which could do many things. For me, the main prob is the cost. For me, there is no point in convergence if they can't keep the cost down.

Let me exaggerate my point - I could make a hardware which can play games, dvd, divx, TV, then it has a tooth brush, tooth paste ejection mechanism, shampoo, scissors, knife, tin opener, dish washer and while we're at it, add a rocket attachment which launches it into outer space.

Impressive? Yeah. Best technology? Definitely. But if it markets at £10,000, I won't buy it. It's not useful. Just because it's in one box (ie convergence) doesn't mean it's good.

I'm hoping they come out with a bundled version... I'm soooo going bankrupt... good thing my birthday is in November... :P

Not me. I'd rather pay less, even if it's only £10.

I have issues with all this modern trend of convergence. PSP was a good example, which boasted as a convergence hardware which could do many things. For me, the main prob is the cost. For me, there is no point in convergence if they can't keep the cost down.

Let me exaggerate my point - I could make a hardware which can play games, dvd, divx, TV, then it has a tooth brush, tooth paste ejection mechanism, shampoo, scissors, knife, tin opener, dish washer and while we're at it, add a rocket attachment which launches it into outer space.

Impressive? Yeah. Best technology? Definitely. But if it markets at £10,000, I won't buy it. It's not useful. Just because it's in one box (ie convergence) doesn't mean it's good.

I agree. I have an Ipod for my audio on the go (psp can't touch 60GBs!) and my DS for gaming (though I haven't used it in months... books FTW! :p). DVD functionality is just somthing I would like to have in suck a sexy box :)

That or streaming videos over my network... I would LOVE that

I seriously doubt the 3rd secret is the nun-chuck accelerometer.

It's something they are going to unveil, but didn't that ninty bloke say in a interview that 'if thats the only secret you think we're hiding then you ain't seen nothing yet' or along those lines....i'm 100% positive he said that!

It was in a interview about the unveiling of the name..Wii.

It's something they are going to unveil, but didn't that ninty bloke say in a interview that 'if thats the only secret you think we're hiding then you ain't seen nothing yet' or along those lines....i'm 100% positive he said that!

It was in a interview about the unveiling of the name..Wii.

Yeah it was words to that effect and hopefully he is right.

Audio device in Wii controller?!!??! Please don't tell me thats the last secret... lol

after reading bits of the egm article thats been posting i get why they have the speaker in there now.

for example a starwars game

when using the controler it can make the lazer sounds.

in zelda

when you pull back the bow it makes the same sound when your pulling it back in real life, when you let it go the sound fades in the remote then goes to the tv speakers.

so it's a pretty cool effect to bring you in to the game.

after reading bits of the egm article thats been posting i get why they have the speaker in there now.

for example a starwars game

when using the controler it can make the lazer sounds.

in zelda

when you pull back the bow it makes the same sound when your pulling it back in real life, when you let it go the sound fades in the remote then goes to the tv speakers.

so it's a pretty cool effect to bring you in to the game.

It sounds brilliant! but not enough.....

It sounds brilliant! but not enough.....

yup, but it will add a realism, imagine holding the fhc behind your head and hearing the classic sound, then as you swing the controller there is no need for a generic swooping noise, it will occur naturally.

it does seem a bit weird though - if they go into that much detail, what else have they got planned? just thinking about that vr suite thing, with fans and stuff...

i don't think they will add much more or any more to the controler behond what we allready know except the shell.

the rest will have to be the hardware and the os features, that egm article almost sounded like it had email,pm features but i guess we will see in a few hours.

maybe there'll be cards you can pop into a slot under that flap, during the game the revolution heats up scented areas of the card and a small fan wafts them into the room.

unlikely, but I'd have said the speaker on the FHC was unlikely.

Just thinking of riding through a meadow in z:tp and smelling authentic smells, then it rains and the smell of damp soil fills the room.

or in a game, a distinctive smell of a certain enemy (perhaps strong B.O or something else unpleasant, and you can smell when they are near in a thickly wooded area.

or in a dungeon, you can smell stagnant puddles of water, or in a stable the smell of fresh hay.. or horse dung :/

but yeah, scent could bring the scene to life...

maybe there'll be cards you can pop into a slot under that flap, during the game the revolution heats up scented areas of the card and a small fan wafts them into the room.

unlikely, but I'd have said the speaker on the FHC was unlikely.

Just thinking of riding through a meadow in z:tp and smelling authentic smells, then it rains and the smell of damp soil fills the room.

or in a game, a distinctive smell of a certain enemy (perhaps strong B.O or something else unpleasant, and you can smell when they are near in a thickly wooded area.

or in a dungeon, you can smell stagnant puddles of water, or in a stable the smell of fresh hay.. or horse dung :/

but yeah, scent could bring the scene to life...

The first thing that poped into my head when you said that was... Nintendogs Wii.... taking your dog for a walk will not be fun :wink:

Owen,why isnt that enough? You are going to be so disappointed. I dont what you're expecting but I doubt it will happen.

Why int the greatest, most immersive controller ever that has a tilt-functional analogue attachment and makes its own sounds enough for you? Its certainly enough for me, more than I could ever imagine actually. Im pretty confident we know the revolution hardware now - its the software and online we dont know....yet!! Get excited but dont prep yourself for disappointment.

yup, but it will add a realism, imagine holding the fhc behind your head and hearing the classic sound, then as you swing the controller there is no need for a generic swooping noise, it will occur naturally.

This can only add to how amazing a light saber game would be. Swing the control the typical light saber noise on the controller. Amazing, I just hope Lucas Arts think of this.

This can only add to how amazing a light saber game would be. Swing the control the typical light saber noise on the controller. Amazing, I just hope Lucas Arts think of this.

They would be stupid if they didn't use this function.

Remember everyone there are stil quite a few things Nintendo still has to talk about in greater detail and a few secrets. Virtual Console, DS connectivity, Online features...And of course a couple more hardware features.

No I don't know what they are.

But based on what I've heard I can say this:

I smell a SpaceWorld type event being held by Nintendo

or at least thats what I hope