NEurope
Ashley

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Did all on hard apart from the yoshi one cos its fricking ridiculous. You just don't have enough time. Even when we did it perfectly, we still lost.

Tell me about it! We must have spent about 2 hours on this one (Event 5 - Hard), with our best run being 45 Yoshi kills out of 50. This is compared to the 2 minutes it takes to complete each of the others.

When we finally did it, it was a near-perfect run with the last kill taking place back on the ship with less than a second left. It's stupidly hard.

For the record, we mainly used Meta Knight's Up + A attack and Pit's Down + A Smash attack. If we didn't get 14-15 kills after the ship fell, then we'd start again.

Tell me about it! We must have spent about 2 hours on this one (Event 5 - Hard), with our best run being 45 Yoshi kills out of 50. This is compared to the 2 minutes it takes to complete each of the others.

When we finally did it, it was a near-perfect run with the last kill taking place back on the ship with less than a second left. It's stupidly hard.

For the record, we mainly used Meta Knight's Up + A attack and Pit's Down + A Smash attack. If we didn't get 14-15 kills after the ship fell, then we'd start again.

I can't believe you actually did it! Congrats! But there are way too many points where yoshi's wont come, despite the ones that have arrived already being defeated. It's really frustrating that they waste your time like that.

Just got round to playing this online for the first time earlier (had the game since the Japanese release though), and my- what a heap of shit. I don't think I've encountered a worse online mode to a game.

Well I couldn't disagree more - if you play random folks then on occassion it can be laggy but play with people on your friends list and 95% there is no lag. I've been very impressed with this online (maybe your online connection sucks).

I generally don't have any problems playing "with anyone" online. Sometimes it won't find anyone, but if I drop out and try again it's fine. I lag very rarely as well.

The online should've have been fixed a long time ago -_-'

Anyway, i just have to finish the REAL Last Battle, its hard as hell (and i want to do it in Hard, just because i want :P)

I can't believe you actually did it! Congrats! But there are way too many points where yoshi's wont come, despite the ones that have arrived already being defeated. It's really frustrating that they waste your time like that.

Thanks!

Yeah, the gaps between spawns is annoying. It's not a problem if you can kill the Yoshis as soon as they spawn - they'll continue to spawn quickly. But if you leave one running around for a bit, they'll spawn slower. Maybe it's a technical issue with the game's program code.

I've now got 444 trophies. Just 100 to go!

I unlocked Jigglypuff today which means i now have the full roster :)

And i only have about 140 trophies :(

The online should've have been fixed a long time ago -_-'

Anyway, i just have to finish the REAL Last Battle, its hard as hell (and i want to do it in Hard, just because i want :P)

I don't think it's physically possible for them to "fix" the online really. It seemed like the way Sakurai was talking that they really tried but they just couldnt eliminate lag.

Might be more difficult than with Mario Kart since they can't really have any of that "predictive" movement they do in that with a fighting game.

Well I couldn't disagree more - if you play random folks then on occassion it can be laggy but play with people on your friends list and 95% there is no lag. I've been very impressed with this online (maybe your online connection sucks).

No one's internet really sucks in this day and age, unless they have dial up. Games actually use up all your bandwidth, so it's safe to say it's the game and not me (8Mb broadband btw).

Until you've put your Wii in DMZ you've no right to complain about lag.

You've been talking about the DMZ but I believe the Wii takes no advantage of that because of the way the connection is made to Nintendo. Could you please explain? Did you read somewhere that it helps?

I can't put it in DMZ anyway because my router only supports 1 DMZ, and I need to have my desktop on it.

No one's internet really sucks in this day and age, unless they have dial up. Games actually use up all your bandwidth, so it's safe to say it's the game and not me (8Mb broadband btw).

Lag has nothing to do with bandwidth though, it's speed.

Best analogy I could come up with was this:

Think about a motorway, if you assume the amount of lanes are the bandwidth (8Mb) and the speed of the car on the road is your ping. It doesn't make any difference how many lanes you have, if you car's going 60mph it's going to be faster than one going 30mph.

Unfortunatly there's not a hell of a lot you can do about the speed of your connection, other than change providers.

As the Wii doesn't display your ping or latency it's difficult to tell if it's your own connection or someone elses.

Some speed test sites, have a ping rating, check some out and see what sort of ping you get. It's tricky to say whats a bad ping on those sites though, as it can depend who your connecting to whilst playing games.

Usually in an FPS a ping bellow 100ms would be fine, no idea what it would be for a game like smash though.

You've been talking about the DMZ but I believe the Wii takes no advantage of that because of the way the connection is made to Nintendo. Could you please explain? Did you read somewhere that it helps?

I can't put it in DMZ anyway because my router only supports 1 DMZ, and I need to have my desktop on it.

Of course it takes advantage. Your wii has data going out, does it not? If it tries to use a port that is blocked it will stall until it can find one that isn't (or until your router unblocks that port). Also it works from experience.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessSlow.jsp -> This url has the most common problems but

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=86420&system=Wii&locale=en_US&action2.x=18&action2.y=29 -> it doesn't mention port forwarding for some reason. As you can see, an alternative to DMZ'ing your wii is unblocking all of the ports in udp protocol (which is a lot less feasible).

Lag has nothing to do with bandwidth though, it's speed.

Best analogy I could come up with was this:

Think about a motorway, if you assume the amount of lanes are the bandwidth (8Mb) and the speed of the car on the road is your ping. It doesn't make any difference how many lanes you have, if you car's going 60mph it's going to be faster than one going 30mph.

Unfortunatly there's not a hell of a lot you can do about the speed of your connection, other than change providers.

As the Wii doesn't display your ping or latency it's difficult to tell if it's your own connection or someone elses.

Some speed test sites, have a ping rating, check some out and see what sort of ping you get. It's tricky to say whats a bad ping on those sites though, as it can depend who your connecting to whilst playing games.

Usually in an FPS a ping bellow 100ms would be fine, no idea what it would be for a game like smash though.

Ok, here's a nice thing to think about.

I don't experience lag on a server with 1,000 people online (FFXI). I don't experience lag on any other game online except this.

Thus, it's clearly nothing to do with my internet.

I don't experience lag on a server with 1,000 people online (FFXI). I don't experience lag on any other game online except this.

MMO's are a little different bud.

MMO's are a little different bud.

But the "every other game I have played online" clearly includes stuff similar to smash. The Smash creator practically admitted there would be lag anyway before the game was even out.

Yeah MMO's and most online games tend to operate slightly differently to Smash and other nintendo online games.

With an MMO everyone is connected to one server, which holds all the data and sends you the appropriate stuff, chances are you pick one that is quite local to you.

With Smash, you are connected directly to there Wii's where ever they are. So in a four player game, your data is going directly to all other players, and there's is comming directly to you.

This means the chance of lag is seriously high regardless of your connection, for instance. I've seen some traces that to get to a uk sever still get routed around the world first. If a connection is down somewhere between you and one of the other players, then the data has to find another way around it.

Not sure where I'm going with this now, but in short with the way nintendo's network works. There's not much they can do in regards to lag with smash, without seriously changing there infrastructure.

I have had some lag problems when playing anyone, the best you can do is disconect and try again. With the way smash works, you are reliant on the other players having a good connection. If they don't then it slows everyone's game down.

Peer to peer connections, like how Nintendo operates WiFi atm, are just extremely shit. Mario Kart doesn't lag because it has an internal server that you connect to and which routes you to other players. This system could easily have been implemented in Smash but it wasn't - which is criminal imo as Smash online is fairly broken atm.

If your looking to PC gaming equivalents you need to look at RTS's, most of those run on p2p and that's why you get the odd laggy game - nowhere near as bad as Nintendo's WiFi though. Most online PC games are server based, like Xbox Live, and so run well for you if your connection is sorted. Nintendo are just in the dark ages with this sort of thing.

Peer to peer connections, like how Nintendo operates WiFi atm, are just extremely shit. Mario Kart doesn't lag because it has an internal server that you connect to and which routes you to other players. This system could easily have been implemented in Smash but it wasn't - which is criminal imo as Smash online is fairly broken atm.

If your looking to PC gaming equivalents you need to look at RTS's, most of those run on p2p and that's why you get the odd laggy game - nowhere near as bad as Nintendo's WiFi though. Most online PC games are server based, like Xbox Live, and so run well for you if your connection is sorted. Nintendo are just in the dark ages with this sort of thing.

Yeah it is a shame Smash runs on a p2p system, I suppose it keeps everything fair though. If it ran on a client to server model, then people with lag would either have no chance against someone without. Or it could end up imposible to hit someone with lag and they end up winning.

It being fair because it's equally shit for both is not a good defence. :p

Barely anyone would lag on client to server as most peoples connections are generally ok. Look at PC games - it all works great as it's so much easier to route to a central server.

It being fair because it's equally shit for both is not a good defence. :p

Nope, 'cause the lag changes the gameplay. Button smashers might actually get an advantage over people who use precise attacks, as they will be severely hindered, while button smashers will just keep smashing. It also brings in a new element to master, and I for one am not very good at adapting to the lag.

Has anyone here completed Boss Battles on Intense difficulty? I could use some general tips (I already know about the 'Don't get hit' tip). The best I've managed is 8 defeated with Marth. The bosses I struggle with are Duon and Galleom.

509 trophies!

Has anyone here completed Boss Battles on Intense difficulty? I could use some general tips (I already know about the 'Don't get hit' tip). The best I've managed is 8 defeated with Marth. The bosses I struggle with are Duon and Galleom.

509 trophies!

Charizard's rock smash ftw !! Does 45%+ damage if it all hits, easy enough to finish...