NEurope
Ashley

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Haha, i had to go through the comments to find that post to make sure you weren't having a laugh, can't believe someone actually said that, haha

Anyway, just a thought, has anyone heard any info on how well the online modes are working on it? Any word of lag issues or anything?

i've heard it go both ways from import reviews, it's either very good, or extremely bad, but i doubt most of those reviewers actually owned the game

Interesting from the smashboards:

Anyway, I have observed variable sending power of the same attack in my recent viewing of various match videos, but I'll simply present what I believe to be the most obvious case of this happening.

- Watch 0:56.

As a few of us are aware by now, Zelda's sweetspotted kicks are known to KO enemies with their damage meters still below 100%, DI or not. The Zelda player diminished the f-air to 15-16% down from the full 21. Pit's damage was sent to 129 by the kick, which is more than enough for that thing to KO him, right? No! He lived with DI! And other moves I've seen, ground or not, have this effect. I'd go as far to say that ALL attacks in the game are affected.

The case in point is, if you try spamming the same KO move over and over to build up damage, then use it later hoping it will KO, without using other moves to build back the damage of the spammed move, you will suffer greatly. This game now requires you to use other KO moves outside of your frequently used damage builders to KO efficiently.

Remember, these mechanics were present in Smash 64, but the diminishing effect happened a lot slower. You could use the same attack a lot of times before it really showed that it was getting weaker. In Melee, all A attacks only diminished in damage - they did not decrease in sending power. With the same post-hit damage percentage, a particular A attack always had the same sending power, no matter if it did 100% of its total damage or 55% of it. In Melee, many B moves DID decrease in sending power and damage with use, most notably Samus's Charge Shot and Missiles. Almost all projectile based B-moves suffered from this, including weird stuff like Sheik's Vanish. Just a history lesson for you.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977

Linda Hogen eh?

Did someone copy and paste the wrong link :D

haha how the hell did i manage that. I would explain but i dont think anyone would believe me =( Actually I can't even remeber how i got there. All i know is that I think the bum on that girl's chin is horrible and she can sometimes look older than her mum which i was just telling a friend of mine of msn. Anyways here is what i really wanted to contribute (damn this laptop this is the second time it has done that!)

lol i would die if Hulk Hogan was in this game, his FS would be him yelling BROTHER!!!!

Haha or him starting off with his shirt rip

haha how the hell did i manage that. I would explain but i dont think anyone would believe me =( Actually I can't even remeber how i got there. All i know is that I think the bum on that girl's chin is horrible and she can sometimes look older than her mum which i was just telling a friend of mine of msn. Anyways here is what i really wanted to contribute (damn this laptop this is the second time it has done that!)

Until now, I didnt realise how boring Smash Bros is without items..

I never did see the fun in smash without items.

I mean it's good once in a while for a change and i know it's supposed to be the 'pro' way of doing things but it takes half the fun out of it.

Besides surely part of the skill is the use of items as well? ;)

Indeed...there is more skill in winning while avoiding random circumstances and/or using them to your own advantage than skill in winning when you're just fighting

Has anyone else been looking at the cinematics popping up all over Gametrailers? I won't spoil anything for you, but Ganondorf and Bowser really know how to roll!

This whole fighting without items is virtually new to me as me and my mates rarely used to do it. Just once in a while just to establish who really was the best out us (me :D)

Indeed...there is more skill in winning while avoiding random circumstances and/or using them to your own advantage than skill in winning when you're just fighting

No there's not. Ask anyone who plays any 2d fighter and they will tell you that you are wrong. The hardest part of ANY 2d fighter is reading your opponent.

This whole fighting without items is virtually new to me as me and my mates rarely used to do it. Just once in a while just to establish who really was the best out us (me :D)

My friends and I always have items on. It'd be a pretty shallow and dry game if we didnt

Although, that said...we always have the hammer off

No there's not. Ask anyone who plays any 2d fighter and they will tell you that you are wrong. The hardest part of ANY 2d fighter is reading your opponent.

Smash Bros isnt your every day 2D fighter though. Generally those have limited movement and a range of button combos that differ for each character. Smash Bros however does not

Interesting from the smashboards:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977

WOW! Just followed the link and read more and that sounds amazingly clever. Makes me laugh when people say they make these games without thinking of the hardcore when half the stuff they add in is for them. Brilliant stuff!

I really Sakurai is the best when it comes to making a competitive and deep game that everyone can pick up and play. Sure, Miyamato did it with Galaxy but that was a tad easy. I honestly think Sakurai is a genious.

I'd just like to point out that Miyamoto doesn't actually personally helm a lot of games anymore, he's all for training the next generation these days.

Smash Bros isnt your every day 2D fighter though. Generally those have limited movement and a range of button combos that differ for each character. Smash Bros however does not

The freedom of movement is bigger in Smash Bros than in many games out there (not just fighting). That's why there are more techniques and hidden little secrets in Smash Bros than in any other fighting game.

If anything, it gives the game a bigger competitive longevity. You never know what kind of style your opponent will bring to the table.

My friends and I always have items on. It'd be a pretty shallow and dry game if we didnt

Although, that said...we always have the hammer off

Yeah, playing with items is more fun. It is my preferred fighting method, even if I turn off the healing items.

But playing without items also has its charm. Sure, I can't depend on that mode for long periods of time, but it's still cool.

Hah. I've been playing stock matches without items and on FD for two years roughly. Then I lay off the game. Now, however, I've tried to use random characters and stages in a four-minutes time battle with items and I'm having so much more fun. Stupid me. XD

(talking about snake's box taunt)

I was just thinking, could snake use that as a tactical move in subspace to avoid camera detection or something?

hey thats a good question

Indeed

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You're wrooooooooong.

Hah. I've been playing stock matches without items and on FD for two years roughly. Then I lay off the game. Now, however, I've tried to use random characters and stages in a four-minutes time battle with items and I'm having so much more fun. Stupid me. XD

Timed matches are MUCH more challenging.

I never realized spamming moves in Smash affected their power.

Timed matches are MUCH more challenging.

I never realized spamming moves in Smash affected their power.

Timed matches aren't challenging; hence why they are set as the automatic setting because they are easier.

The general rule with time is whoever gets the first kill wins because all you need to do is either suicide OR run away and you win.