NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

I've no idea what any of this means, but could it be because the Wii has worse graphics then 360 and ps3, and thus Nintendo want screenshots to look better so they remove these sorts of features?

Just a completely ignorant yet educated guess.

Full screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) is a way to reduce some of the sharpness in the lines shown in a game. All of the current gen console have this facility but it can be quite intensive and IMO it doesnt make too much of a difference (my eye sights not that great, so I've developed my own FSAA).

Now from my understanding of the situation, when taking screen shots from the PS3 & 360. It allows you to add effects on the way out, even though that's not what the game looks like when its running, in order for the screen shot to look better. Whereas on the Wii it just takes a pic of exactly what is on the screen at the time, and if the dev's want to "enhance" it they can do it on some other device.

So the Wii takes a more honest approach, but this can be quite bad considering the console can't stand up to the power of the 360 & PS3 anyway. So the "enhanced" PS3 & 360 screenshots look even better compared to the Wii ones.

This is looking awesome... plus it comes out right before my birthday which is a bonus.

God theres just too many games coming before christmas... luckly i can afford all the ones i want.. its just a shame that some people might have to pick out the few games they want the most.

Full screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) is a way to reduce some of the sharpness in the lines shown in a game. All of the current gen console have this facility but it can be quite intensive and IMO it doesnt make too much of a difference (my eye sights not that great, so I've developed my own FSAA).

Now from my understanding of the situation, when taking screen shots from the PS3 & 360. It allows you to add effects on the way out, even though that's not what the game looks like when its running, in order for the screen shot to look better. Whereas on the Wii it just takes a pic of exactly what is on the screen at the time, and if the dev's want to "enhance" it they can do it on some other device.

So the Wii takes a more honest approach, but this can be quite bad considering the console can't stand up to the power of the 360 & PS3 anyway. So the "enhanced" PS3 & 360 screenshots look even better compared to the Wii ones.

Nice little example here.

Anti-aliased-diamonds.png

You see how on the right it looks nice and smooth. It has replaced some of the harsh pixels with greys to make it look better.

Nice little example here.

Anti-aliased-diamonds.png

You see how on the right it looks nice and smooth. It has replaced some of the harsh pixels with greys to make it look better.

Even though CRT computer monitors are sharper than CRT TV's, both of those diamonds look near enough the same on my CRT Monitor. But I can notice the difference on the LCD screen I have. It's funny but CRT TV's used to be a big advantage the consoles had over PC games, until LCD TV's became popular and everyone all of a sudden needs FSAA.

Yes (it can anti-aliase). It's screenshot generator can not.

Thank god for that!

Even though CRT computer monitors are sharper than CRT TV's, both of those diamonds look near enough the same on my CRT Monitor. But I can notice the difference on the LCD screen I have. It's funny but CRT TV's used to be a big advantage the consoles had over PC games, until LCD TV's became popular and everyone all of a sudden needs FSAA.

If your monitor can't tell the difference between the two... it's time to get a new monitor.

If your monitor can't tell the difference between the two... it's time to get a new monitor.

Lol, It's true. AA helps a lot. As does some nice AF.

Nintendo’s retailer conference Tidbits: (yesterday)

- Yoshi, Luigi and Peach were not present. It's not known if they will be playable characters.

- Game runs at 60 FPS

- Jumping was very precise, controls in general were very sensible.

- While playing, no Aliasing was seen.

- a nintendo-representant said that there will be much harder levels where you have to control mario very precisely.

- the camera aligns itself very quickly

- As an Employee of Nintendo said, the decision of whether the “Nintendo Wi Fi Connection†will or won't be supported hasn't been made yet. The same goes for WiiConnect24. However, it does look like they are not used.

- the game was running in 16:9. nintendo didnt answer the question whether or not there will be black bars on the top and bottom in 4:3.

- there was a level with a mini-game, called “trial galaxyâ€

Source: http://gamefront.de/ (alemão)

60 frames :D

It does baffle me why not even Nintendo themselves aren't even using Wii Connect 24! It's so underused it may aswell not exist!

Nintendo themselves could have at least updated the Mii customisation menu, or added a different court to Wii Sports Tennis or something!

It does baffle me why not even Nintendo themselves aren't even using Wii Connect 24! It's so underused it may aswell not exist!

Why use Wii Connect 24 in the game if there's no reason to?

Why use Wii Connect 24 in the game if there's no reason to?
Well it adds replayability for one thing!

And surely a game like Mario Galaxy offers a number of ways it could be used?

New mini-levels, alternate suit colours (fire flower etc...), new hidden stars...

I dunno, just to add some new fun things once we've found all 120 stars.

And anyways, what about games where there is reason to?

Wii-Sports - new course/backdrop,

Excitetruck - a new vehicle, course,

Mii - new customisations

That second screenshot is great, i love Mario's expression :D

You like the "I'm taking a shit" look then.

Well it adds replayability for one thing!

And surely a game like Mario Galaxy offers a number of ways it could be used?

New mini-levels, alternate suit colours (fire flower etc...), new hidden stars...

I dunno, just to add some new fun things once we've found all 120 stars.

Mii - new customisations

I just can't see Nintendo doing this with the way they've used WiiConnect in the past and it's never mentioned as well. There's so much potential for this ,but it will probably never happen. Space on the Wii is a real constraint, though.

Mii - new customisations

That's another discussion and I agree with that, for example, weren't the updates supposed to be automatic with WiiConnect 24? Hope they'll get it sorted. Without an HDD add-on we won't be seeing big downloadables like new courses and stuff though.

I rarely bothere to look through the entire screen slideshow, but I did with this, it just had me hooked. These graphics are beautiful and simple. The whole game looks so good. It's like taking Mario back to the simple roots of yesterday but in 3D. I think this will have a massive impact on gaming that will be felt for a long time to come.

What and give up FSAA with no computational cost, never :p

Besides I only really use that screen for outlook and remote desktop, and the work LCD I have has an 18ms refresh which makes FPS's almost impossible to play without getting motion sickness from all the bluring.

How can this game physically run in 60 fps with (albeit minor) anti-aliasing?