NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

I've got around 70 stars now, but haven't bothered going for Bowser yet. Still enjoying the galaxies from the garden observatory too much. :)

Just reach the 100 stars limit.

I want to have the 120 stars but I really don't want to do the second manta race. I hate this thing. It's so uncontrolable and frustrating (the only thing I hate in this game).

I haven't got many stars lately, still sitting around 60ish, been spending my time trying hard to investigate the dusty dunes and find that secret star! There's nothing more annoying that knowing there's a secret star on a level, but just not being able to find it! I'm trying desperately not to turn to a guide, but I might need to at this rate!

Just reach the 100 stars limit.

I want to have the 120 stars but I really don't want to do the second manta race. I hate this thing. It's so uncontrolable and frustrating (the only thing I hate in this game).

Just take it easy, slow down on corners as you have more than enough time to finish the race.

I despise Spring Mario. Spring Mario is a bastard. Up to 79 stars, not faced the final Bowser yet, think i'll try for 100 before that. I love the Daredevil Comet, some of them are bloody difficult, but give so much satisfaction when you finally do them.

And in comparison to Mario 64, I think this is on a whole different level. The level design is lightyears ahead of Mario 64, I think I'd be quite bored with a lot of Mario 64 after playing Galaxy, I just have no idea how they came up with some of these ideas and I doubt they'll ever top it.

I haven't got many stars lately, still sitting around 60ish, been spending my time trying hard to investigate the dusty dunes and find that secret star! There's nothing more annoying that knowing there's a secret star on a level, but just not being able to find it! I'm trying desperately not to turn to a guide, but I might need to at this rate!

I got stuck looking on this one too, but actually ended up doing it slightly by accident. Just keep looking around as you are moving.

I got Star 65 a while ago. Not faced off against Bowser yet. In fact I haven't even done the boss level in that final dome yet. Loving this game still, and still finding little touches that I didn't see/notice before.

Damn, the purple coins mission for the toy level is hard as hell.

God, this was crazy -.-' I've tried it for about 15 times before getting it done...it's really frustrating if you collect the 100 coins but you can't get back to the star. Sooo annyoing but I was so pleased after I had finished it.

Got about 100 stars now. The last few will probably quite hard to get...but I love challenges...even if I lose my patience very easily :D

Great game. Love the soundtrack. Really really awesome :)

Just take it easy, slow down on corners as you have more than enough time to finish the race.

Just beat it at my second try. I was probably not in a good day the firt time I tried.:heh:

Is it me or is the cosmic Mario clone really easy to beat? I encounter him 4 times now and I beat him really easily. I especially love how I jump onto his head to catch the star before him in the autunm-style galaxy. :laughing:

It's so uncontrolable and frustrating (the only thing I hate in this game).

They could have put more effort into it.

After what was said in one of the video clips at 1UP I was expecting the Manta to be really difficult to control, but I found it really easy.

I've only done the first one though, perhaps the second one is a lot harder?

I loved the ball rolling. That was equally as easy, but a lot more fun. :)

I also really like spring mario too. :laughing:

How would this game be compared to Mario 64, in terms of gameplay?

Ho hum....

Uh well no one answered because it's kind of a pointless comparison, you dont need to compare this game to anything you just need to BUY IT.

Anyway it's just the basics of 3d Mario as established by Mario 64 but now with absolutely no limitations on level design. Levels twist around in any direction at any degree, you can go around a level that in terms of platforms is normal in layout, except now it's twisted 360 degrees around a cylinder and you'll do most of it upside down. Virtually every area you walk on is designed around wrapping the level around objects in a spherical way so you can walk around them completely.

One thing I loved about Mario 64 was when you used C-up for first-person viewing then looked back, you were facing the way you were just looking, which was awesome when you wanted to do a backwards jump in a certain direction. On Galaxy when you zoom back to regular camera Mario's facing the way he was when you first used the first-person.

You must be mistaking Mario 64 with some other game (like OoT or Banjo Kazooie) because Mario 64 doesn't have a first person perspective when you push C-up. What it does is put the camera right behind Mario and you control the camera with the joystick and Mario doesn't move, but he is in front of the camera. And when you pull back he's still facing the same way he was before.

But I agree that in Galaxy it's stupid that you can't do a 360º in 1st person view.

What ALWAYS peeves me about 1st person views is that you can look around but look down and there are NO LEGS. It shatters the illusion totally.

You can see 47's legs when you look down in Hitman 2 in 1st person view. You can even see the feet walking or running. Which is nice. :) But it's true, that's the only FP game I know that shows you feet...

Damn, the purple coins mission for the toy level is hard as hell.

I think the Dreadnought level is harder. I used about 15-20 tries on Toy Room the first time and two tries the second time. On Dreadnought I used 20 the first time and 40 the second time....

Ho hum....

Better. Anyone who says otherwise is looking at 64 through rose-tinted glasses.

Galaxy is supposed to be the successor to Mario 64, but because of the way it plays it's really a successor to the 2D games. It's Mario 64 done properly. Most of the levels are short and sweet like in Super Mario Bros 3. Like the 2D games they're also much more linear, though there are plenty of secret shortcuts. This is great because the variety is kept up and it feels much less like an adventure game than Mario 64 did. You're always looking forward to any new obstacles unlike in 64 where you basically knew the whole level after the 2nd star. Like in Super Mario World you can wander off course and find an alternate ending to the level, so you commonly get stars you weren't even looking for.

God, this was crazy -.-' I've tried it for about 15 times before getting it done...it's really frustrating if you collect the 100 coins but you can't get back to the star. Sooo annyoing but I was so pleased after I had finished it.

Got about 100 stars now. The last few will probably quite hard to get...but I love challenges...even if I lose my patience very easily :D

Great game. Love the soundtrack. Really really awesome :)

Yeah, took me about 15 times too. Luckily I got the star the first time I managed to get 100 coins. Once I worked out that I could move the camera, and used spin jumps properly, it wasn't as hard :p

I think the Dreadnought level is harder. I used about 15-20 tries on Toy Room the first time and two tries the second time. On Dreadnought I used 20 the first time and 40 the second time....

Haven't tried Dreadnought yet. Don't know if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it:smile:

107 stars! I'm almost there :smile:

You must be mistaking Mario 64 with some other game (like OoT or Banjo Kazooie) because Mario 64 doesn't have a first person perspective when you push C-up. What it does is put the camera right behind Mario and you control the camera with the joystick and Mario doesn't move, but he is in front of the camera. And when you pull back he's still facing the same way he was before.

I coulda sworn he will be facing the way you were actually just looking when you zoom out, feel like I've used it to turn around in some tricky spots.

Ho hum....

After I read your first post, I was gonna describe it as an enhanced extension of SM64, as it's 3D, similar moves/controls, similar style. But then I read the description of it being like an extension of the 2D side scrollers, and I kind of agreed with that. In SM64(and sunshine?) there were 15 levels and they were all pretty much explorable from the off(like when you got there) I liked 64 too because you could see and get stars when you weren't supposed to be. With galaxy however, there isn't really that kind of freedom, there's the illusion of it(and i do feel a bit like the galaxy things make it seem like a bigger game than it is, plus the silly travelling bits will probably count for an half hour of actual playtime by the end :indeed:). The stars ARE rather linear, you can go forward along the path or backwards, there isn't really much sideways like; if anyone understands what I'm saying here.

Better. Anyone who says otherwise is looking at 64 through rose-tinted glasses.

Galaxy is supposed to be the successor to Mario 64, but because of the way it plays it's really a successor to the 2D games. It's Mario 64 done properly. Most of the levels are short and sweet like in Super Mario Bros 3. Like the 2D games they're also much more linear, though there are plenty of secret shortcuts. This is great because the variety is kept up and it feels much less like an adventure game than Mario 64 did. You're always looking forward to any new obstacles unlike in 64 where you basically knew the whole level after the 2nd star. Like in Super Mario World you can wander off course and find an alternate ending to the level, so you commonly get stars you weren't even looking for.

If Mario 64 DS had an analog stick to play it with, I'd prefer that. Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game ever as it is to me, at least in terms of open endedness anyway.