NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

Surprised at the chart entry in the UK. It seems to have sold out absolutely everywhere. Perhaps Nintendo didn't provide enough stock...?

Just thought I'd reccommend you all to read http://www.Nintendojo.com feature on Galaxy. It's a great roundtable.

An excerpt from staff writer Khurram A:

Ever since Galaxy was announced, a debate has been raging on which games comprise the Canon of Mario. I was disappointed to see three editors from 1up agree that there have been only six: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and finally, Super Mario Galaxy. To be so dismissive of Super Mario Land and more so Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins; to spurn SuperMario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; to deny New Super Mario Bros. and Super Paper Mario showed a cavalier thoughtlessness and disrespect towards a series - with nary a misstep - to be revered.

But Super Mario Galaxy is the rare specimen that makes every other title seem like it's doing something wrong. Call of Duty 4 is Medal of Honor, and BioShock is Doom; but Mario is Mario. I excuse 1up because they are in awe; they are dazed and confused. Mario Galaxy hits you like great music and like a winning lottery ticket. I don't expect people to understand how well this title accomplishes its goals for at least a year. Every review you've read is premature.

About twelve years ago, I remember watching an A&E documentary about the work of novelist Charles Dickens. One Dickens scholar interviewed for the show spoke of his deep love and profound gratitude for the writer's work. I remember being in awe of the obvious impact the Nineteenth Century writer had on one of my contemporaries. The interviewee spoke about how he studied every minute aspect of Dickens' life and work, except one thing - the novel Dombey and Son. That one novel, the speaker was saving for the darkest and most difficult days in his lifetime, whenever they may befall him, because there is no experience comparable to reading a Dickens work for the first time; and nothing has the power to lift him from the depths of despair like his favorite writer.

To many, whether they know it or not, their favorite writer or musician, their artistic soul-mate is Shigeru Miyamoto. The man has an understanding of human emotion, temptation and psychology that isuncanny. And he accomplishes it all with as few words as possible.

The last game to completely engross me was Resident Evil 4. With all due respect to Mr. Mikami, Mr. Kamiya and Mr. Kobayashi, I feel embarrassed for letting a game so much weaker than Super Mario Galaxy cast a similar spell on me. But I fear it has a happened to all of us, at one time or another.

In the plainest terms, let me honestly and seriously tell you about Super Mario Galaxy: if more people played this game, there would be fewer wars going on in the world right now.

The closest hyperbole I've read for years, and especially for Galaxy's brilliance.

On 87 stars now, finally found the 3rd green star (i had 2 for ages)

The trail galaxies are cool,

was great to have another surf and rolling level, the first ones of those i enjoyed so much, was great to have a new level for them, the rolling trail galaxy was especially awesome.

i'm on 23 stars now. I get 3 or 4 a day so this game is gonna last me a while. I only get to spend about an hour a day on it. Maybe the weekend I will spend more time on it.

I just figured you can crouch and move at the same time. It's hilarious.

I played for an hour last night and I checked my play time via my Wii which adds up to around 8 hours. I have 60 stars so im halfway there now.

[spoiler=]Just done the 3 trial galaxies, those were fun! I really enjoyed the Gears and Gadgets trial level, nothing is comparing to the difficulty of some of the Sunshine levels where you didnt have Fludd though. ( I loved them sections :) )

Spolier tags pleeease : peace:

The crouch and walk is much better than mario64's.

Another move I recently found is a second butt stomp. If you shake the wiimote whilst in the air then butt stomp, it's a larger, different animation.

Spolier tags pleeease : peace:

The crouch and walk is much better than mario64's.

Another move I recently found is a second butt stomp. If you shake the wiimote whilst in the air then butt stomp, it's a larger, different animation.

If you were on about me then im sorry, put my whole post in a spoiler tag now.

nothing is comparing to the difficulty of some of the Sunshine levels where you didnt have Fludd though. ( I loved them sections :) )

Those levels were a piece of piss. Getting the 100 purple coins on the Dreadnought Galaxy is a royal piss take.

Just got about 5 stars in the space of 20 mins play, not bad at all i don't think!

There's a huuuggeee advert for this in George Square in Glasgow and a video screen of it next to it. It looks great behind all the Christmas lights etc, I'll get a pic tomorrow. Well worth going to have a look at if you're in Glasgow.

Just defeated the final boss with 64 stars. It was great, but as others have said a little too easy (I almost felt sorry for Bowser upon dealing the final blow). Loved the 'ending' and now I can't wait to start collecting more stars!

Got 82 stars and now working my way through the engine room. God I love this game. I've lost myself playing this for the past 2/3 hours. Time just flies by.

Just finished the final boss. 61 stars now. Got too many other games to play at the moment, so wont be going back to it for a while, but I will try for 120 stars eventually.

One of the best games I've ever played.

18 hours in and got 82 stars. Played it for a good long time and still got tons more stars to get.

Also when you first flew at the gate collecting the coins to get the red star, did it remind anyone of NiGHTs? As soon as I started flying that's what I thought off for a few seconds.

Trying to think how many stars i have now...but it's not 40 just yet! I'm pleased it's lasting me a good while! Everytime i play it, it just brings a HUGE smile to my face.

Trying to think how many stars i have now...but it's not 40 just yet! I'm pleased it's lasting me a good while! Everytime i play it, it just brings a HUGE smile to my face.

Yeah im the same. Everytime some old skool Mario music comes on I get all giddy. Got me 80 stars now and I still refuse to go and fight Bowser.

OMG, things seem to be starting to get hard now, was just doing the purple coin challenge on Freezeflame, was up to like 70 then bloody fell due to a badly timed jump (i was fire Mario, went for a long jump, need to spin to make it, forgetting I was Fire Mario, so when I shook the wiimote of course I didn't spin, and fell to my doom, crap

Got me 80 stars now and I still refuse to go and fight Bowser.

You probably should, I'm willing to bet the ending is different with less than 120 stars and with 120 stars. So no harm in fighting him now and since the remaining stars are quite difficult it will probably be a while before you fight him again with 120 stars. :)

I have 39 stars at the moment. I am now trying to decide whether I'm going to play Galaxy or MP3...